Possible Counterfeit Cattaraugus

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Possible Counterfeit Cattaraugus

Post by peanut740 »

Froe wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:13 pm A quick check is to see if the shield is resting in top of the handles instead of inlaid into the bone. If the shield isn't sunk into the bone it's gonna be a stinker.
Many years a ago (25? 30?) I bought one of these at a show thinking it might be fun just to carry a dressy knife I could still beat around. The guy said he put them together from parts along with some other more honest knives that he had rehandled. He did nice work. Kinda pretty, but I never carried it and I still have it. I also have a worm grove rehandled Hibbard Spenser and Bartlett trapper I got from him.
Keith
This is not true.Many old knives had shields that layed on the handles and not inlayed,or barely inlayed.
Roger
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Possible Counterfeit Cattaraugus

Post by 1967redrider »

Great info, thanks for all the posts. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”