Questionable Case Bros Whittler

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
thefoldingblade

Questionable Case Bros Whittler

Post by thefoldingblade »

Some photos I found on the internet. Some elements seem to be legit such as the shield and master blade however not sure about all of the components together as a whole. Any thoughts on this one?
Attachments
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Questionable Case Bros Whittler

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case Brothers made a number of whittlers. Whittlers were a popular pattern. There are a lot of Case Brothers patterns for which there is no documentation, no pictures or examples in books, so when one turns up all you can do is “read the knife”. Without having it in hand, from the pictures provided it looks okay to me. One thing to look for that I can’t see in any of the pictures is that most Case Brothers I’ve seen are stamped on all blades.

Interested to see what others say.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

We have an AAPK member that has written a book on these older Case knives and has devoted extensive study to them. He has also included a price guide for most of them. What do you think about it Tom? My hunch is that even if it is original at some point it has been taken apart and put back together. Maybe just to replace a blade.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

It’s hard to tell what has been done to the knife from the pictures. Like Ken alluded to, I would prefer to see all of the blades stamped on a Case Bros knife. Maybe they are. Off hand the two smaller blades appear somewhat dissimilar from what you would normally expect to see in the same knife but to tell anything definitively I would have to have the knife in hand.

Tom
thefoldingblade

Post by thefoldingblade »

Thanks all for your input and thoughts on this one. Curious to know if any of you own any Frankenstein knives that have some original and some non-original parts. I have a Jackson Fremont Whittler that has an obviously replaced secondary pen blade but I love the pattern so much I'm ok with it sitting alongside my other fully authentic knives. The way I look at those is kinda like you'd look at a 'Rat Rod' in the realm of old cars where they're assembled with various part and made to look and feel pieced together. It kind of has an aesthetic of it's own in that way I feel.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

thefoldingblade wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm.... where they're assembled with various part and made to look and feel pieced together. It kind of has an aesthetic of it's own in that way I feel
that's what I love about this hobby, there are so many different viewpoints on the same pocket knife that inevitably a traditional bell curve is formed with a small percentage who like and dislike the knife and a large percentage that are undecided about the knife.

Me personally, I like a carry knife with it's own personality but I want true authenticity for the knives in my permanent collection.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
just bob

Post by just bob »

thefoldingblade wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm Thanks all for your input and thoughts on this one. Curious to know if any of you own any Frankenstein knives that have some original and some non-original parts. I have a Jackson Fremont Whittler that has an obviously replaced secondary pen blade but I love the pattern so much I'm ok with it sitting alongside my other fully authentic knives. The way I look at those is kinda like you'd look at a 'Rat Rod' in the realm of old cars where they're assembled with various part and made to look and feel pieced together. It kind of has an aesthetic of it's own in that way I feel.
This seller has had some knives discussed here in the counterfeit forum. I've noticed that on this knife and a few of the other knives he has sold that they make it clear to the buyer that the knife was put together from parts. This would be a great carry knife, but the sad fact is most likely it will be resold a few months from now as an original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-BROS-CUT- ... SwBuJe1EcQ
Attachments
fleas .jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

With the Nashville Flea guy I really believe the description should read, “counterfeit Case knives for sale”

Tom
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here's another one listed from parts. This is actually a nice looking knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-Circle-C- ... Swr9BfFOyr
Attachments
nash.jpg

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not sure what the OP knife is but I am sure it isn't all old and original. I wouldn't value it as anything more than a parts knife to carry and use.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

just bob wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:30 pm Here's another one listed from parts. This is actually a nice looking knife.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-Circle-C- ... Swr9BfFOyr
At least he is honest (In this transaction) enough to list this knife as being assembled from parts. My only surprise is that this many people would bid this high on the knife. It looks good, but is just not worth that, to me. YMMV
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Not surprised that many bid on it since a real one from this era would be steep in that condition if available at all. And I know it's heresy around here, but I bid this one and I bid an old counterfeit Pine Knot folder. Why? Because even as acknowledged fakes, like fake Rolex watches, you get a much cheaper copy that looks like the real thing if you're into that. And the Pine Knot was a beautiful knife. Counterfeit or not it was sweeeeeeet. And I admit they are fakes and would never try to fool anyone. My wife has a fake Gucci purse. We know they are fakes, we accept it, we still think it's a decent purse for the money and we tell everyone whenever it comes up that it's fake. Not trying to sell or present it as real ever.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”