Bad Russell

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Bad Russell

Post by just bob »

I've been looking at this and am 99.9% convinced it isn't right. The frame and small blade are correct, I think, but the master blade has been taken from another knife, restamped, and put into this frame. Compare the Russell lettering on the two blades. The lettering on the master blade runs at an angle and there are tooling marks on the tang. The pin through the bolster is protruding and is newer work. Clip blades aren't common on an original Russell. The seller says great shape, but the handles are broken on both sides. Only my opinion, but if he has a legitimate $50 bid on this knife he should take the money and run. I know there are members that can spot cold stamped blades. Has the master blade on this been cold stamped?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Clip-B ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
russell.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bad Russell

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I think you are right, but I am no expert. That tang stamp is suspicious, and the clip blade is in better condition. The "S" letters in Russell look different too, like the tops are flat on the pen blade but rounded on the clip blade. The reason he doesn't take the $50 and run is he is hoping for more (greedy?)
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Agreed. The master blade opening past 180 degrees is not a good sign as well.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Additionally, the two retaining pins, on the handle and the prominent / evident one in the bolster doesn't look original to me.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
56Dodgers

Post by 56Dodgers »

I am not an expert on these knives by any means, but I have taken apart a very beat up old Russell straightline and from that experience, I can tell you the following

1. In the knife you pictured, it appears evident the end, middle and pivot rivets have all been replaced.
2. The replaced handle rivets appear to be n/s and larger than normal. Old Russells have thinner iron pins all the way around.
3. The main blade def. looks way wrong. That's not how they ground those blades, esp. the swedge above the nail nick.
4. Larger, more full style clip looks like its from a '30-'40s era knife, while the small blade and frame appear to be a genuine older Russell.
5. That said, the small blade in such great shape on a knife where the main blade has been replaced? Seems odd, however, it could be someone snapped the main blade and had a replacement legitimately done long ago (perhaps by Russell??) on warranty? Or from another Russell knife?

Lastly, the main blade RUSSELL stamp just looks off, but then again, I might be reading into it. One last question, does the main blade have a pronounced and distinct half stop at 90 degrees? It should. If it doesn't its most likely WRONG!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”