Scratching my head over this Case Muskrat...

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Scratching my head over this Case Muskrat...

Post by knifeaholic »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-XX-USA-Pr ... Sw8xde4nQY

All Case Muskrats had two backsprings, one for each blade. In the two backspring configuratiom, the blades of course can easily fall past each other.

Wonder how that works on this one?

Schrade did make their 787 Muskrat with a single backspring. However I believe that they used a wider backspring and a catch bit to allow the blades to fall past each other.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Scratching my head over this Case Muskrat...

Post by glennbad »

It looks like those blades are krinked. That's probably the only way that could work. I'd still like to see it closed top down
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

glennbad wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:54 pm It looks like those blades are krinked. That's probably the only way that could work. I'd still like to see it closed top down
Yeah Glenn, even with crinkling it would be hard to see how they could both close.

I don't have a Remington or Schrade muskrat with single backspring handy to look at, but I assume that they used blades that were offset ground plus the catch bit at the end. Since Case made the Muskrat with two backsprings, the Case muskrat blades would not be offset ground.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I had this Remington muskrat for a time, but traded it to IronHoarder a while back. Anyway, you can see from the pics, it's a thick single spring and has a catch bit.
rem 2.JPG
rem 4.JPG
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Both blades would have to be offset ground on the inside leaving a shoulder at the tang that provides enough room for the opposite blade's tip to fit alongside. The blade length can only be as long as the length to the opposite blade's tang. On a knife with a catch piece the blade can be longer, with the tip passing alongside the opposite blade's tang.

Eric
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Interesting. As glenn noted it looks as if the blades are krinked. It also looks like the master blade has had the kick shaved to make the blade sit lower in the frame. A picture of blades in the well and one of blades closed might tell a little more but the seller has left these two very important pictures out of the sale. I think with some careful adjusting, krinking and shaving you could make a knife like this work and I believe that might be the case with this knife. Not an easy thing to do but a way to get an extra hundred dollars or more out of an otherwise ordinary dot rat.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”