$500 mistake

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

$500 mistake

Post by just bob »

At $500 with no returns this just strikes me as a very bad way to spend your stimulus money. Isn't the master blade the only thing Case about this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-C ... ition=3000
Attachments
case.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: $500 mistake

Post by herbva »

I'm not saying it is or isn't legitimate, but I do think the knife appears to have been rehandled. The scales certainly don't look original and the auction picture of the pile side shows a very poor fit and perhaps a broken scale pin or pins. The pictures are not great, but I think I can see the W.R. Case & Sons tang stamp on 2 of the blades, and Case did make a 6368 congress pattern. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got a question, if the knife is legit would any of you pay that much for it? ::shrug::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

If it was completely legitimate it is still worn out.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Some people just assume that “old” means “valuable”.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There was indeed a 6368 “congress whittler”. Rare knife. My guess is the eBay knife is legit, but like Cal says, it’s pretty much worn out. Here’s a picture from Sargent’s 7th edition.

Ken
Attachments
C6F4C5AA-EB05-49D3-A892-E8BB974DD4B3.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I'm going to say this is a re-worked knife. I can't see the master blade well enough to determine if it is legit but the bone looks more like Parker bone and the pattern # looks to be double stamped. The frame does look like it is legit. At any rate, it is worn badly enough that even if it was completely legit I wouldn't give even $100.00. Just my opinion.-----Ricky
just bob

Post by just bob »

Does anyone else have any information of the tang stamp being on the outside the tang on a Case knife? I think this is the only one I''ve ever seen. Very bad pics on this but I thought the tang stamp looked homemade and that was why it was double stamped? I didn't like the handle material at all and if it is original shouldn't it have a shield? The one in the book does.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What do you mean by "the outside the tang" ? Do you mean the back side of the tang as opposed to front side ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I worked on the seller’s lousy pictures a little. See below. The jigging looks to me like Case jigging. It’s very pocket worn so that might account for the light color - I’ve had pocket sweat lighten the colors of both bone and stag, but not to that extent. The stamps, while dim appear to say W.R. CASE & SONS. The double stamp doesn’t bother me - it happens. The knife has obviously been heavily used. Given the condition issues I don’t think it’s worth anything near what the seller is asking, regardless how rare it might be. JMO.

Ken
Attachments
68488DD7-691E-4B65-9E71-1FFB2F4116F0.jpeg
6F3C6754-55E2-4A80-8470-B28A8BCB5CA6.jpeg
F9981B09-775B-4D26-9E1C-F4A60519ECED.jpeg
F9981B09-775B-4D26-9E1C-F4A60519ECED.jpeg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
04C97498-C066-4D2A-A78A-BEDEEE6272EF.jpeg
04C97498-C066-4D2A-A78A-BEDEEE6272EF.jpeg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Old and worn to the extent that it wouldn't bring anything close to the $500 in the real sane collecting world. Would have to see the knife closer but have never seen Case handles look like that regardless of wear. Rest of the knife looks as I'd expect.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
just bob

Post by just bob »

I looked in Tom's book on this and he has a bone and pearl in this pattern listed at about $1500 in mint state, but no pictures. This knife is no where near that value but has value for the pattern type. I'm just curious what are your comments about this knife Tom? I have seen redbone knives that were worn slick and yet retained the brilliant red color. Hard for me to imagine "pocket sweat" can have this effect on bone? The jigging is still there?

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

just bob wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 pm I looked in Tom's book on this and he has a bone and pearl in this pattern listed at about $1500 in mint state, but no pictures. This knife is no where near that value but has value for the pattern type. I'm just curious what are your comments about this knife Tom? I have seen redbone knives that were worn slick and yet retained the brilliant red color. Hard for me to imagine "pocket sweat" can have this effect on bone? The jigging is still there?
In my opinion the bone is not original at all. Another thing I noticed right away is the pin placement of the pins next to the bolsters. Too far away from the bolsters in my opinion. When I put my book together I considered the prices that Sargent’s book had these small whittlers at were not realistic as I have handled several and never saw one sell even at $1000. So I couldn’t value them at what Bob Wurlzelbacher had them at. Blades may very well be authentic but in my opinion that’s about it. Not collectible at all, again just my opinion.

Tom

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”