Queen #20 Being Passed off as a Case Tested XX 093

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Robo

Queen #20 Being Passed off as a Case Tested XX 093

Post by Robo »

The below knife is a queen #20 with the tang stamp shaved and replaced with a "Case Tested XX" cold stamp. In later years Queen shorted the length of their end cap, that's the dead givaway on this one,There are other more subtle differences, for sure, as there are no two companies that made the EXACT same handle dies. The covers are really unusual, Sorta "Gummy Worm"--to coin a term-- plastic of some kind, . I don't recall seeing this particular type before, but they aren't the original Queen Handles which were either bone, fake winter bone, or more modern plastic (90's Era). (As always, I welcome corrections).

https://picclick.com/Case-Tested-Xx-Kni ... 90452.html
Attachments
Queen handle die
Queen handle die
Case-Tested-Xx-Knife-Made-In-Usa-1920-40-_1-2.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Queen handle die (2)
Queen handle die (2)
Case-Tested-Xx-Knife-Made-In-Usa-1920-40-_1-1.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Shaved Tang
Shaved Tang
Case-Tested-Xx-Knife-Made-In-Usa-1920-40-_1.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Legit Case Tested XX 61093 pattern
Legit Case Tested XX 61093 pattern
Legit 1989 Queen #20
Legit 1989 Queen #20
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen #20 Being Passed off as a Case Tested XX 093

Post by herbva »

Good analysis Robo. I've actually purchased knives from this seller before, and have known him to be a pretty honest guy. So I am surprised that he is selling this obvious fake. As you said, the rear bolster is a dead giveaway. I think it's only about 1/2 the length of a real one. In the auction he even admits that everything doesn't fit together properly: "TO ME IT APPEARS THE BLADE IS CLOSING TO FAR OR SNAPPING SO HARD THE TIP OF THE BLADE IS HITTING AGAINST THE BACK SPRING". ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

Robo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:05 am The below knife is a queen #20 with the tang stamp shaved and replaced with a "Case Tested XX" cold stamp. In later years Queen shorted the length of their end cap, that's the dead givaway on this one,There are other more subtle differences, for sure, as there are no two companies that made the EXACT same handle dies. The covers are really unusual, Sorta "Gummy Worm"--to coin a term-- plastic of some kind, . I don't recall seeing this particular type before, but they aren't the original Queen Handles which were either bone, fake winter bone, or more modern plastic (90's Era). (As always, I welcome corrections).

I'm the owner of the knife. I've ended the auction. I list 150-300 knives a week. So I also buy a lot of knives as well. I don't have time to cobble junk knives together. I got a hold of a bad 1 and probably should of did a bit more research. Thats it! Nobody trying to pass anything off as anything! Thanks for making me aware of the issue.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Kase's Kutlery Plus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 pm
Robo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:05 am The below knife is a queen #20 with the tang stamp shaved and replaced with a "Case Tested XX" cold stamp. In later years Queen shorted the length of their end cap, that's the dead givaway on this one,There are other more subtle differences, for sure, as there are no two companies that made the EXACT same handle dies. The covers are really unusual, Sorta "Gummy Worm"--to coin a term-- plastic of some kind, . I don't recall seeing this particular type before, but they aren't the original Queen Handles which were either bone, fake winter bone, or more modern plastic (90's Era). (As always, I welcome corrections).

I'm the owner of the knife. I've ended the auction. I list 150-300 knives a week. So I also buy a lot of knives as well. I don't have time to cobble junk knives together. I got a hold of a bad 1 and probably should of did a bit more research. Thats it! Nobody trying to pass anything off as anything! Thanks for making me aware of the issue.
I've bought from you before and was pleased with your service. ::nod:: ::nod::
Kase's Kutlery Plus

doglegg wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:50 pm

I've bought from you before and was pleased with your service. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thanks sir! Honesty is my policy and I try to do my best!
Robo

Post by Robo »

Yes, nothing personal, We're just trying to keep the community protected from making choices they'll regret. A good percentage of the time the seller doesn't know what he or she is selling. Since you're a member--and an honest seller-- feel free to post the questionable one's here first and we'll be happy to help if we can!
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Robo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 am

Yes, nothing personal, We're just trying to keep the community protected from making choices they'll regret. A good percentage of the time the seller doesn't know what he or she is selling. Since you're a member--and an honest seller-- feel free to post the questionable one's here first and we'll be happy to help if we can!
You could have politely contacted me explaining your concerns with FACTs before posting it on a knife forum stating I was trying to pass something off as a fake. Or you could have looked at my feedback or the other 1600 knives I have listed on ebay. Ultimately I got the knife. It seems of good quality. It has the feel of a Case. Yes it has a few issues that concerned me and I was hesitant to list it. The stamp looks legit to me and the scales you refer to are are referred to by many collectors as Christmas Tree Celluloid. That type of scale was commonly used on knives of that era and I've seen them on Case Tested knives before. The scales have condition issues which were stated in the ad. Also I had to clean it up a little. To me that shows age. If it was cobbled together it hasn't been recently. With the stamp and the scales I decided to list it. I'll definitely look into it some more as something does strike me as being off.
Robo

Post by Robo »

Sir, in the spirit of this site, which is always friendly to the newcomer, and whose members generaly bend over backwards to keep posts about collecting, pocket knives, learning their history, modding them, or building them from scratch, free of talk that might lead to political or religious conflict and the resultant bad blood; In the spirit of a site whose members are almost without exception a bunch of thoughtful, helpful and decent human beings--yes--in the spirit of all the above, I apologize if the title of my post offended you in any way.

Others here have, without solicitation, attested to your honesty as a seller on e-bay, and I have no reason to doubt them. I may have even purchased a knife from you at some point. So, far from this post being slanderous in any way it has become a testament to your integrity as a seller!

Because responses from sellers are hit or miss in terms of the knife being taken off auction when I've requested it, I tend to simply list them here directly first and write the Seller later. If they take down the listing, I report it here forthwith. In your case due to the late night discovery of this knife, I posted it here, went to sleep, and then forgot to contact you. I'm Not offering this expaination as an excuse, just a reason for my oversight.

All that said, please bear in mind that Counterfeit Watch is an important educational forum geared towards helping members spot less expensive or less collectable pocket knives that were doctored in some way to make them look like their more valuable, more collectable cousins. Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly concerned with the feelings of the seller--who, by the way is often the unwitting purchaser of a fake--as much as I am concerned with the feelings of the--usually neophite collector--who purchases a knife like this one only to suffer the humiliation of finding out he or she has been cheated. Like yourself in this instance, most of here have been duped at least once and it sucks--you must agree!

Best of luck to you, I hope you sell a ton of excellant pocket knives to a ton of happy buyers. And in the future, if you have any doubts about a knife you are about to list, you now know you can always come here and we'll be glad to help you figure out exactly what it is--or isn't.
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

IS THAT A "8" IN THE TANG STAMP INSTEAD OF AN "S"?
Kase's Kutlery Plus

CANTHOK wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:29 pm IS THAT A "8" IN THE TANG STAMP INSTEAD OF AN "S"?
I read it as an S.
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Robo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:49 am Sir, in the spirit of this site, which is always friendly to the newcomer, and whose members generaly bend over backwards to keep posts about collecting, pocket knives, learning their history, modding them, or building them from scratch, free of talk that might lead to political or religious conflict and the resultant bad blood; In the spirit of a site whose members are almost without exception a bunch of thoughtful, helpful and decent human beings--yes--in the spirit of all the above, I apologize if the title of my post offended you in any way.

Others here have, without solicitation, attested to your honesty as a seller on e-bay, and I have no reason to doubt them. I may have even purchased a knife from you at some point. So, far from this post being slanderous in any way it has become a testament to your integrity as a seller!

Because responses from sellers are hit or miss in terms of the knife being taken off auction when I've requested it, I tend to simply list them here directly first and write the Seller later. If they take down the listing, I report it here forthwith. In your case due to the late night discovery of this knife, I posted it here, went to sleep, and then forgot to contact you. I'm Not offering this expaination as an excuse, just a reason for my oversight.

All that said, please bear in mind that Counterfeit Watch is an important educational forum geared towards helping members spot less expensive or less collectable pocket knives that were doctored in some way to make them look like their more valuable, more collectable cousins. Speaking for myself, I'm not particularly concerned with the feelings of the seller--who, by the way is often the unwitting purchaser of a fake--as much as I am concerned with the feelings of the--usually neophite collector--who purchases a knife like this one only to suffer the humiliation of finding out he or she has been cheated. Like yourself in this instance, most of here have been duped at least once and it sucks--you must agree!

Best of luck to you, I hope you sell a ton of excellant pocket knives to a ton of happy buyers. And in the future, if you have any doubts about a knife you are about to list, you now know you can always come here and we'll be glad to help you figure out exactly what it is--or isn't.
Yeah not to happy with my purchase on that knife coming from a guy who deals specifically in Case knives.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I doubt very few people on here realize the incredible amount of time and effort that goes into listing that many items per week. Can I ask app. how many hours per week do you devote to ebay? Do you have helpers? Good work on your listings! You do an excellent job.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Kase's Kutlery Plus

just bob wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:38 pm I'm the owner of the knife. I've ended the auction. I list 150-300 knives a week. So I also buy a lot of knives as well. I don't have time to cobble junk knives together. I got a hold of a bad 1 and probably should of did a bit more research. Thats it! Nobody trying to pass anything off as anything! Thanks for making me aware of the issue.

I doubt very few people on here realize the incredible amount of time and effort that goes into listing that many items per week. Can I ask app. how many hours per week do you devote to ebay? Do you have helpers? Good work on your listings! You do an excellent job.
I appreciate the compliment. I work 80-100 hours a week. My wife ships the knives for me. Not easy.

On the flip side of this conversation I got scammed out of $110 tonight.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”