Case tested ??

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
cbnutt

Case tested ??

Post by cbnutt »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Tested-XX ... SwSIRgQHnU , i am not sure but guessing this 6318 is not right ? shield , bone ?
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case tested ??

Post by 98src »

I think it is just a late one in the tested era. The late shields in the tested era looked like the early XX era ones. I think the handles are green bone.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The way the pictures show on my tablet, that looks way to dark to be greenbone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

This is another one of those Tennessee "stud" fakes.....spacing between the "A and "S--Long "C" touches the top of the "A"..
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The knife looks fine to me. I agree the shield is late Tested era, handles too dark to be called greenbone (although some consider all Tested stamped jigged bone knives to be greenbone).

I see nothing wrong with the stamp either. Corners of letters look square, lines sharp, not cold stamped. Over the 20 years of the Tested era many stamps were used. As tooling wore out it was replaced with new tooling which someone made. The stamp tools were all slightly different (and changed slightly as they became worn). Placement and spacing of letters vary slightly from stamp to stamp, and several different stamp tools were used concurrently. Different size blade tangs required different size stamps. All of which is why the tang stamp is usually the last thing to look at when you “read” a knife. It’s good to be suspicious though, especially so on old knives. JMO

Here are pictures from the OP listing, for posterity.

Ken
Attachments
E1F4859E-9E84-446B-8AFC-7134D0A3AD51.jpeg
5BA4BEAF-87BD-4526-9179-F2C20523FBB7.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 am The knife looks fine to me. I agree the shield is late Tested era, handles too dark to be called greenbone (although some consider all Tested stamped jigged bone knives to be greenbone).

I see nothing wrong with the stamp either. Corners of letters look square, lines sharp, not cold stamped. Over the 20 years of the Tested era many stamps were used. As tooling wore out it was replaced with new tooling which someone made. The stamp tools were all slightly different (and changedvslightlynasvtgey became worn). Placement and spacing of letters vary slightly from stamp to stamp, and several different stamp tools were used concurrently. Different size blade tangs required different size stamps. All of which is why the tang stamp is usually the last thing to look at when you “read” a knife. It’s good to be suspicious though, especially so on old knives. JMO

Ken
Ken, I'm glad that you brought this up about the various "Tested" stamps. I've long wondered, sometimes obsessed, about the slight differences in Tested stamps and your explanation absolutely makes perfect sense. ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 am The knife looks fine to me.
Just throwing in another opinion in favor of the knife being legit.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 am The knife looks fine to me. I agree the shield is late Tested era, handles too dark to be called greenbone (although some consider all Tested stamped jigged bone knives to be greenbone).

I see nothing wrong with the stamp either. Corners of letters look square, lines sharp, not cold stamped. Over the 20 years of the Tested era many stamps were used. As tooling wore out it was replaced with new tooling which someone made. The stamp tools were all slightly different (and changed slightly as they became worn). Placement and spacing of letters vary slightly from stamp to stamp, and several different stamp tools were used concurrently. Different size blade tangs required different size stamps. All of which is why the tang stamp is usually the last thing to look at when you “read” a knife. It’s good to be suspicious though, especially so on old knives. JMO

Ken

Good post Ken.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

The only concern I have is the bone color. Does not look like green bone to me. The shield and tang stamp look fine to me. I can't help but wonder if the handle slabs were possibly replaced in the XX or XX USA era and were therefore replaced with the dark bone colors in use at that time. Those handle slabs have honest pocket time on them.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Other than the master blade being very short of original length I can't say anything is wrong with it. The handles do look dark but that isn't unusual for green bone. Would have to see it in hand to say one way or the other. Pictures aren't the best.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Looks fine to me. Bone handle colors are notoriously difficult to evaluate properly in photos, especially poor photos like those.
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

I have been collecting, selling and trading Case knifes for 56 years and I must say that this tested tang stamp is one of the most obvious fakes I have seen in in quite some time. I have no problem with the knife other than this primary blade.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”