New Source For Vintage Wilberts

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

New Source For Vintage Wilberts

Post by herbva »

I have a few Wilberts in my collection and am always on the lookout for more. I do have a saved search on fleabay that alerts me when new ones come up. So, I am thrilled to find out that CAMCO means Wilbert! Not really. I have told this guy that engraving the name "Wilbert" on the celluloid scales of an old CAMCO does not make it a Wilbert Cutlery knife. But, he keeps relisting it and I get annoyed every time it pops up again. Oh well....... Maybe I'm wrong and CAMCO (Camillus) did make Wilberts for Sears along with Napanoch and Empire? ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: By the way, does anyone know, or have a theory about why Sears chose the name "Wilbert" for this line of retail knives?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Double ... 3453020250
Attachments
DSCN9380.JPG
DSCN9381.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Source For Vintage Wilberts

Post by 1967redrider »

Here you go, Herb. 😉

viewtopic.php?t=41499

Haven't found anything about a Sears/Camco/Wilbert connection yet tho.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here's some interesting research-

https://iknifecollector.com/m/group/dis ... c%3A987870

So maybe this could be a transition knife? ::shrug::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

My guess is that this is an innocent error on the seller's part and a coincidence. The seller knows zip about knives, the Camco jack was personalized with someone's name as a gift, the name happened to be Wilbert, so the seller just assumes that the "Wilbert" name is the manufacturer.

If the engraved name had been "Tommy" or "Robert", and the seller claimed that it was made by Tommy Cutlery or Robert Cutlery, the error would be more obvious, and we probably would be laughing about it.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

My opinion is that the knife in question has no relation to the Wilbert knives made for Sears. More likely it has an owner's or business name in the celluloid. Edit, Steve was replying while I was typing and I believe he is correct.

Red, that site you link to has some "funny" info in it. Camillus made mighty few hunting knives before the war and I know of none that evolved into their military knives of WW2. One of the first fixed blades issued to the USMC was an inexpensive Camillus 5" blade jigged bone scales hunting knife but it certainly did not evolve into any GI knives.
wlf

Post by wlf »

i agree the OP knife is what steve and Gene said, not Wilbert.

But, almost certainly Camillus did make a Wilbert knife for Sears and one for A Fields too, maybe other jobs with this pattern. Distinctive exacting frame ,extra thick liners , blades, etc.
Attachments
Wilbert 1115.jpg
Wilbert 1117.jpg
Camillus 4 line comp312.jpg
A Fields.JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 am Here you go, Herb. 😉

viewtopic.php?t=41499

Haven't found anything about a Sears/Camco/Wilbert connection yet tho.
Thanks John. I did see that thread a while back. That Napanoch Banana sure is a beauty. Maybe I'll find one like it in a box of junk knives at a flea market some day. I'd still like to find out why Sears chose the name Wilbert. (At least someone could make up a plausible, interesting story.) :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

knifeaholic wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:11 am My guess is that this is an innocent error on the seller's part and a coincidence. The seller knows zip about knives, the Camco jack was personalized with someone's name as a gift, the name happened to be Wilbert, so the seller just assumes that the "Wilbert" name is the manufacturer.

If the engraved name had been "Tommy" or "Robert", and the seller claimed that it was made by Tommy Cutlery or Robert Cutlery, the error would be more obvious, and we probably would be laughing about it.
Thanks Steve, and Gene. Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I contacted the seller.

Herb
wlf

Post by wlf »

All are Camillus made “roosters”(flat bladed, modified secondary and unusual 2/2 stop on the pruning blade). All have identical pin placement, frames , shields ( except the one with the distinctive Camillus shield), and the unusually thick liners.
From the top:

Pick bone- Wilbert
Pick bone -Wilbert
Jigged bone - A Fields
Black composition-A Fields
Jigged bone- ( practically identical to Camillus below)-
Cutsure K&B Hardware Cincinnati Ohio
Jigged bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Black composition- Camillus
Attachments
F6104673-9E75-40AB-B338-D97B2B27E6D9.jpeg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WOW Lyle!!! ::oh_my:: That's quite the lineup! ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”