I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
MechanicalBear

I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

Post by MechanicalBear »

A seller on this site is selling certificates of authenticity for Case Classics. There are legitimate reasons you would want one of course. I just want to warn you guys/gals that even though a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's real. Here's a link to the listing https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -no-knife-. Yet again, I am not trying to call out the seller, there are legitimate reasons someone would want a certificate of authenticity. I just want people to know these certificates are out there, and some unsavory characters may use them to try to pass off a fake knife as a real one.
Airborne 1

Re: I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

Post by Airborne 1 »

I could print you up a couple 1000 this afternoon. ::hmm::
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I know it is probably obvious, but even if a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's legitimate

Post by edge213 »

Kinda defeats the purpose of a COA, doesn't it??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

Yep !
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Airborne 1 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 pm I could print you up a couple 1000 this afternoon. ::hmm::
Haha, I'm good ::groove::.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

edge213 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:58 pm Kinda defeats the purpose of a COA, doesn't it??
Yeah it really does haha :D.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

AHA!!!! I have the ANSWER!!!

From now on, every time a knife is sold with a Certificate of Authenticity, we need to demand a separate Certificate of Authenticity to verify that the Certificate of Authenticity for the knife is indeed a genuine Certificate of Authenticity.

So there...glad I was able to solve this problem.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knifeaholic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:49 pm AHA!!!! I have the ANSWER!!!

From now on, every time a knife is sold with a Certificate of Authenticity, we need to demand a separate Certificate of Authenticity to verify that the Certificate of Authenticity for the knife is indeed a genuine Certificate of Authenticity.

And if that doesn't work we could hold a meeting about why the COA's aren't legit, but before that we'd need to have a meeting about the meeting were having about the COA's not being legit..... , get it? 8)
8)
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Now all we need is a Certificate of Authenticity, to verify that the Certificate of Authenticity that verifies the Certificate of Authenticity is legitimate haha :mrgreen:.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Madmarco wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am

And if that doesn't work we could hold a meeting about why the COA's aren't legit, but before that we'd need to have a meeting about the meeting were having about the COA's not being legit..... , get it? 8)
That's a good idea to Marco haha :D.
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

I saw the seller’s screen name and remembered seeing it on a different site. Not here to claim it is the same person, but it’s a strange coincidence nonetheless. The other site listed what I think is a pathetic fake Case Tested copperhead. Bad scales, awful shield, see for yourselves.....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/855251393/ ... ng_details
Attachments
Fake Case Copperhead?
Fake Case Copperhead?
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

TritonJ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:23 am I saw the seller’s screen name and remembered seeing it on a different site. Not here to claim it is the same person, but it’s a strange coincidence nonetheless. The other site listed what I think is a pathetic fake Case Tested copperhead. Bad scales, awful shield, see for yourselves.....

Hmmm, that is interesting. That knife definitely looks fake. I feel like it may very well be the same person.Thank you for bringing this to light. You should really look at his profile on this site to see if he is selling fakes. I myself can spot a really bad fake pretty quickly but as far as anything more than that goes I have to research tang stamps, shields, etc a bit.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

You got it Steve.
I've often wondered about this practice. On the Case Collectors Forum guys frequently ask for copies of a COA.
I always thought it was strange.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

TritonJ wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:23 am I saw the seller’s screen name and remembered seeing it on a different site. Not here to claim it is the same person, but it’s a strange coincidence nonetheless. The other site listed what I think is a pathetic fake Case Tested copperhead. Bad scales, awful shield, see for yourselves.....

Also, I expected that knife to have been posted on eBay, not Etsy haha :D. Etsy is such an odd place to sell knives.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I always thought COAs should be printed on toilet paper, that way they would be good for something.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 am I always thought COAs should be printed on toilet paper, that way they would be good for something.
Haha :mrgreen:.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:57 am Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

I deleted what I wrote here previously because I was able to find a knife similar to the one below.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210508-231551_(1).png
Screenshot_20210508-231619.png
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:01 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:57 am Yet another scheme (or is it scam?) from the mind of Jim Parker. ::uc::

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
No "may be" about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the COA concept originated with the Case Classics, which were a Parker creation. The worthless pieces of paper came with them, and some people still want them. Sort of like having an original box I guess, except anyone with a copier or printer can create a COA.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.
No "may be" about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the COA concept originated with the Case Classics, which were a Parker creation. The worthless pieces of paper came with them, and some people still want them. Sort of like having an original box I guess, except anyone with a copier or printer can create a COA.

Ken

Based on what I’ve seen Parker attached the COA with some of his “factory finds” as well, such as the Shapleigh brand.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am

Ken
It may be Mumbleypeg.

Ken
Oh, I didn't really understand what you were saying before, sorry Mumbleypeg ::teary_eyes::.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 am I always thought COAs should be printed on toilet paper, that way they would be good for something.
Agreed.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm A seller on this site is selling certificates of authenticity for Case Classics. There are legitimate reasons you would want one of course. I just want to warn you guys/gals that even though a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's real. Here's a link to the listing https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -no-knife-. Yet again, I am not trying to call out the seller, there are legitimate reasons someone would want a certificate of authenticity. I just want people to know these certificates are out there, and some unsavory characters may use them to try to pass off a fake knife as a real one.

Really? I feel bad that this is on the AAPK site. Makes me sad. I guess I am too sensitive at this time of the day though :D

Bob

[/quote]
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

rea1eye wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 am
MechanicalBear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:00 pm A seller on this site is selling certificates of authenticity for Case Classics. There are legitimate reasons you would want one of course. I just want to warn you guys/gals that even though a knife has a certificate of authenticity it doesn't mean it's real. Here's a link to the listing https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -no-knife-. Yet again, I am not trying to call out the seller, there are legitimate reasons someone would want a certificate of authenticity. I just want people to know these certificates are out there, and some unsavory characters may use them to try to pass off a fake knife as a real one.

Really? I feel bad that this is on the AAPK site. Makes me sad. I guess I am too sensitive at this time of the day though :D

Bob

[/quote]

I know how you feel Bob. Also, I deleted what I previously wrote, because I was able to find a knife similar to the one in the photos below.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210508-231551_(1).png
Screenshot_20210508-231619.png

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”