New to forum, hoping for confirmation.

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Sheamo

Re: New to forum, hoping for confirmation.

Post by Sheamo »

Thanks to everyone for all your help and opinions! Feels great to have a place to go for answers and discussion. I appreciate you all! The seller has been helpful and left the return for me to decide so we'll see. The consensus seems to be it's authentic and I really like the look of it and the contrast of colors I have when lining it up with my others. I will most likely keep the knife at this point but I need to sleep on it. I did not know and was not told it was so heavily cleaned and polished. I'll know better what to look for myself next time thanks to help I got in this thread.

That being said, does anyone have a knife like this they would like to sell? As some of you shared, it's good to keep your best until you do better. I'd like to take my shot to find one I love even more. Feel free to PM or DM me.

Shea
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sheamo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:22 am

I did add the closed length in the one post with the price guide pic. I had some questions about it since my knife was not the length mentioned. Any thoughts now that you have that info?
What I’m seeing in the picture from the price guide you posted says 3-1/2 inches. I dug out some guides I have and find that Sargent’s shows both 3-5/16 (in the lists) and 3-3/8 (caption under a picture) for the 62009. Sargent’s shows the knife only with bone covers. The C. Houston Price guide 1997 edition shows 62009 to be 3-5/16 inch and also lists it only in bone. The Parker guide (2001 edition) lists the 42009-1/2 Im Ivory as 3-5/16 inches.

In my experience the measurements shown in references often come from old factory catalogs, and a variance of 1/16 or even 1/8 inch (sometimes but rarely more) versus a knife in hand is not uncommon. You indicated your knife measures 3-1/4 - I wouldn’t obsess over a difference of only 1/16 of an inch.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:09 pm In my experience the measurements shown in references often come from old factory catalogs, and a variance of 1/16 or even 1/8 inch (sometimes but rarely more) versus a knife in hand is not uncommon.
Have you observed that to be true with blade lengths as well?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:35 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:09 pm In my experience the measurements shown in references often come from old factory catalogs, and a variance of 1/16 or even 1/8 inch (sometimes but rarely more) versus a knife in hand is not uncommon.
Have you observed that to be true with blade lengths as well?
Yes. And blade lengths on used knives are all over the place. Both depend to some degree on sharpening. Measurements can vary somewhat depending on the points on the object where the measurements are made, the angle of viewing, etc. Most folks including me typically just place the item on a ruler of tape measure (or visa versa) and read what they see. A caliper is more precise but even that can depend on where the measurement is taken. Some knives can even have unusual shaped bolsters, so where to measure? Where did the other guy whose measurement is being referenced measure? On blades, was the referenced measurement from the shoulder grind to the tip? Or from the bolster to the tip? Or other?

That’s why your measurement and my measurement may not agree with what’s in the book, or even with with each other. :lol: And that’s why I said I wouldn’t obsess over a sixteenth, or even an eighth of an inch. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 pm Where to measure?
Good question. I measured four of my knives, eight blades total. Each was measured from tip to the point that the tang meets the spring, and then just the cutting edge. Case's specs fell between each of my measurements in all cases. But since my interest in this subject is not for purposes of determining authenticity, it's probably best to start a new topic.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Sheamo

Post by Sheamo »

Just to close this out on my end I did end up keeping the knife. I figured it was cleaned up when I bought it (although I did not know to what extent since I am new to all this and was only recently educated on what to look for) so that didn't bother me with this particular knife. To add to that, the seller went above and beyond by not only offering an easy return but he also took quite bit of time researching and sharing information to help me find the answers I was looking for. So, it all worked out. Thanks to everyone involved in this discussion and for all the help that was given to me to help me learn more about collecting vintage knives.

Shea
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Good call.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This seller seems to be a very conscientious person who spent a fair bit of time helping you learn about this knife. The knife parts are all original to each other. The only 'downside' is the blades have been buffed. To a purist this is a serious 'flaw'. However to many other collectors this is an improvement. What matters here is that you like this knife. It speaks to you. This is an excellent reason for keeping this knife.
When times come for you to sell, if you find one of the collectors who prefers shiny buffed blades you might well sell it at a profit.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”