Case Bradford/Tested 6296 Legit????

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Bradford/Tested 6296 Legit????

Post by herbva »

I noticed just noticed this one on the bay, and can't find it in any of my reference books. (The only 6296 I can find is a "citrus tester", which doesn't look anything like this knife.) I'm interested in it for a restoration project, but am concerned about it being legit. From the seller's pictures, one tang is stamped 6296 and one of the tangs has the Case Bradford stamp and the other one has the early Tested stamp. I'm not concerned about the 2 tang stamps, as the early Tested in an oval and the Bradford stamps do overlap for a short period, but wonder about the pattern stamp. The knife looks to me like a 6208 semi-swell center pen knife, but the seller's description indicates that it measures 3 5/8", which is 3/8" too long for an 08. Of course, the seller also calls it a jack knife, which it is not, and that it has "stag/antler" scales, and from the pictures I believe it clearly has jigged bone scales. Finally, none of my few Bradford knives have a pattern stamp and I wonder if the pattern stamp on this one maybe looks a bit "wonky" . Any thoughts? Thanks! ::hmm::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114890562862?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
DSCN9800.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
olderdogs1

Re: Case Bradford/Tested 6296 Legit????

Post by olderdogs1 »

Herb, I am going to go out on a limb and say that the knife is likely ok although I am not familiar with the pattern. I have it listed in my book on old Case knives at a $900 mint price I believe. The citrus tester to my knowledge is a 6296X pattern. The oval Tested stamp is actually a Case Bradford Stamp that started 1915 so that blade is fine. I believe the knife to be authentic. I Doubt someone would stamp a pattern number on that blade as the Blade stamp sure looks authentic. In my experience more Case Bradford Knives than not do have pattern numbers stamped. I could be wrong because as I said I am not familiar with the pattern but that’s my opinion.

Tom
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

olderdogs1 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 pm Herb, I am going to go out on a limb and say that the knife is likely ok although I am not familiar with the pattern. I have it listed in my book on old Case knives at a $900 mint price I believe. The citrus tester to my knowledge is a 6296X pattern. The oval Tested stamp is actually a Case Bradford Stamp that started 1915 so that blade is fine. I believe the knife to be authentic. I Doubt someone would stamp a pattern number on that blade as the Blade stamp sure looks authentic. In my experience more Case Bradford Knives than not do have pattern numbers stamped. I could be wrong because as I said I am not familiar with the pattern but that’s my opinion.

Tom
Hi Tom. I looked at your great book first, but missed the 6296 listed on page 46. (I always start with the great pictures in the front.) As always, thanks for your input and best regards. Herb
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Here is a W. R. Case and Sons B396 (middle knife) same pattern, waterfall celluloid handles, a whittler, 3 5/8" long:
Attachments
IMG_0707.jpg

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”