6235 1/2 - Bone, Delrin or "Frankenknife"????

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

6235 1/2 - Bone, Delrin or "Frankenknife"????

Post by herbva »

I'd like opinions on this one please. The shield is obviously the shield used by Case in the 70's on delrin and I think smooth composite handle knives (I don't remember exactly what range of years), and the mark side looks like delrin to me from the pictures, but the tang stamp is clearly 6235 1/2. The pile side looks like maybe delrin that has been burned or had contact with acid? I don't see any obvious signs in the pictures that the knife has been tinkered with or that the clip has been replaced with a clip from a 6235 1/2 (and I have no idea why anyone would want to do that anyway). Maybe a factory mistake? Any thoughts? ::teary_eyes::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255095568227?h ... SwFFRhGqKy
Attachments
DSCN9846.JPG
DSCN9847.JPG
DSCN9848.JPG
DSCN9849.JPG
DSCN9850.JPG
DSCN9851.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Landersknives

Re: 6235 1/2 - Bone, Delrin or "Frankenknife"????

Post by Landersknives »

herbva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:23 am I'd like opinions on this one please. The shield is obviously the shield used by Case in the 70's on delrin and I think smooth composite handle knives (I don't remember exactly what range of years), and the mark side looks like delrin to me from the pictures, but the tang stamp is clearly 6235 1/2. The pile side looks like maybe delrin that has been burned or had contact with acid? I don't see any obvious signs in the pictures that the knife has been tinkered with or that the clip has been replaced with a clip from a 6235 1/2 (and I have no idea why anyone would want to do that anyway). Maybe a factory mistake? Any thoughts? ::teary_eyes::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255095568227?h ... SwFFRhGqKy
Hey Herb,
Case used the number 6 to denote the use of delrin also. They used “6” on Pakkawood, Delrin, and bone. In about 1973 they also started using that shield on delrin knives. The shield with the circle around Case was used for bone and this shield for delrin still both with the number 6. I hope this helps. Knife is original.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Actually 6 is the correct designation for Delrin, don’t ask me why.

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The knife is all authentic, just heat damage to the back handle.

"6" is the correct handle number for jigged brown Delrin - always has been.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

My stupid/senior moment! I guess I didn't have enough coffee yet, and was thinking about yellow delrin. Anyway, the seller asserts multiple times that this is a red bone handled knife. I will let him/her know otherwise. Thanks!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

herbva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:53 pm I will let him/her know otherwise.
If you don't mind Herb, let us know how he/she responds. Or if they respond at all.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Admittedly, I'm a bit perplexed here. The seller's eBay profile picture/avatar is a Case logo, so he should be familiar with Case's numbering system. However, his feedback as a seller doesn't show many knives. I'm interested to see if Herb gets a response.

All the same, if bidding doesn't get too crazy, I'm in!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

XX Case XX wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:16 pm
herbva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:53 pm I will let him/her know otherwise.
If you don't mind Herb, let us know how he/she responds. Or if they respond at all.

I am having trouble figuring out what this person knows or doesn't know about knives. He has 48 knives listed right now and I remember seeing at least one that mentions delrin handles. This was his response to me: "No you’re not bothering me I think I just listed it wrong I have about 50 knives for sale right now and have about 500 left to list hopefully the person that’s betting on it is aware" ::teary_eyes::

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:59 pm Admittedly, I'm a bit perplexed here. The seller's eBay profile picture/avatar is a Case logo, so he should be familiar with Case's numbering system. However, his feedback as a seller doesn't show many knives. I'm interested to see if Herb gets a response.

All the same, if bidding doesn't get too crazy, I'm in!
Hi Dan. See my response to Mike, above. I can only conclude that this seller doesn't care, so just beware.

Herb
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

herbva wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:52 pm I am having trouble figuring out what this person knows or doesn't know about knives.
There are three possibilities that I've considered:

1. He is unaware that Case uses 6 for both bone and jigged Delrin.
2. He doesn't know how to tell the difference between the two.
3. He doesn't care either way.

Based on the response he gave, number three cannot be ruled out. I'm still interested, but proceeding with caution and a reduced maximum bid.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knifeaddict1965
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaddict1965 »

He did update the description with "I am no expert on these knives. I made a mistake in listing it at a "bone" knife. It is considered DELRIN", but left the title the same "Vintage CASE XX USA 6235 1/2 Red Bone Pocket Knife Nice Condition!"
Kevin
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

knifeaddict1965 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:39 am He did update the description with "I am no expert on these knives. I made a mistake in listing it at a "bone" knife. It is considered DELRIN", but left the title the same "Vintage CASE XX USA 6235 1/2 Red Bone Pocket Knife Nice Condition!"
To be accurate he can’t change the title once the item has bids, only add statements like he did or cancel the bids and end the listing.

Tom
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've seen -048s that are hard to tell the difference between bone and Delrin, but this knife is an easy one if you ask me.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

Has anyone else seen Delrin discolored like that? I think it is fairly common. You can rub that discolored area with 3 in 1 oil or something similar and the color will come right back. I'll try and dig something out and post pics.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is only after a couple of hours. I'll add another picture tomorrow when it has set more. This is using only 3 in 1 oil.
Attachments
delrin.jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's amazing, thanks for the tip. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

After overnight.
Attachments
new delrin.jpg

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”