WR Case and Son hunting knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Landersknives

WR Case and Son hunting knife

Post by Landersknives »

Ok guys I need some help. A friend of mine asked me about the year and authenticity of the knife in the pictures. Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
D417FA96-C829-4B9F-880F-C7F170F59A60.jpeg
7022FED2-67DE-4E0C-8A68-76319EEA9B66.jpeg
392494AA-3A87-452D-A734-4DC312897F93.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WR Case and Son hunting knife

Post by kennedy knives »

Looks a little like the one I have . Not the right handle and is missing Under W.R.Case & Sons Bradford PA.
I've been told made around 1920 . I've seen one other that had a Pearl Handle that was made for the Bradford Gun Club in Bradford PA.
Attachments
IMG_7845.JPG
IMG_7844.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

One is "SON" and the other is "SONS" which is correct?
Also on the first one is that a letter P just under and to the right that
may have been there before? It could be these 70 year old eyes
playing tricks on me though.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

W R Case & Son was only in business from 1903-05 and they were contract knives. That knife looks good to me. Great stamp.

Tom
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

olderdogs1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 am W R Case & Son was only in business from 1903-05 and they were contract knives. That knife looks good to me. Great stamp.

Tom
1903-05 ok. What value in this condition do you think Tom? I appreciate it cause I sure thought it was a fake because of the lack of a s on Son.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Hard to place a value on it as I have not seen another or don’t have any comparable sales so worth what someone will pay when exposed to the market for a reasonable time. Probably won’t bring a great big price but definitely desirable in my opinion.

Tom
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

olderdogs1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:41 am Hard to place a value on it as I have not seen another or don’t have any comparable sales so worth what someone will pay when exposed to the market for a reasonable time. Probably won’t bring a great big price but definitely desirable in my opinion.

Tom
Thanks Tom.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

kennedy knives wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:29 pm Looks a little like the one I have . Not the right handle and is missing Under W.R.Case & Sons Bradford PA.
I've been told made around 1920 . I've seen one other that had a Pearl Handle that was made for the Bradford Gun Club in Bradford PA.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks for the help.
dlr110 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 am One is "SON" and the other is "SONS" which is correct?
Also on the first one is that a letter P just under and to the right that
may have been there before? It could be these 70 year old eyes
playing tricks on me though.
Thank you for the help. I appreciate your comments.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A little Case history will explain the addition of the “s”. First some background. J.B.F. Champlin who owned Cattaraugus was married to Theresa Case, daughter of Job Case. In the 1880s he was in business with her brothers W.R., Andrew, Jean and John at Cattaraugus. Some accounts say J.B.F. hired them, others say they were business partners. Eventually the brothers left Cattaraugus and went into farming. A few years later Andrew, Jean, and John joined together to form Case Brothers Cutlery, in competition with Cattaraugus. The oldest brother, W.R., decided to stay a farmer and did not join them.

W.R.’s son Russ Case, until then employed at Cattaraugus, joined Case Brothers as a salesman. A job at which he excelled. So good in fact that after a couple of years Russ’s commissions were greater than what his uncles were making as owners. When his uncles could not (or would not) pay Russ what he was owed, he got mad and quit. Russ asked his father W.R. to finance him in starting his own cutlery. W.R. gave Russ not only the money but also his name, thus was born W.R. Case & Son Cutlery. (With no “s”).

W.R.’s daughter, Russ’s older sister Debbie, was married to H.N. Platts, of Platts & Sons Cutlery. H.N. was a master cutler. Russ Case was a salesman and businessman but not an expert in manufacturing. So a couple of years after W.R. Case & Son was founded, Russ Case and his brother-in-law H.N. Platts merged their companies, and added an “s”. W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery (with an “s”) was born, with the common connection being Debbie Case Platts. One was the son of W.R. Case, the other the son-in-law. H.N. took over the manufacturing while Russ focused on sales and business.

In a few years another son-in-law/brother-in-law, Herbert Crandall (Crandall Cutlery and Little Valley Knife Association) would join W.R. Case & Sons. And H.N. Platts would leave due to health reasons and move to Colorado, where he founded Western States Cutlery. But that’s a story for another day.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Another great history lesson Ken, thank you... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very hard to find early W.R. Case knife. I believe the OP knife has been rehandled at some time in the past. Examples I have seen do not have the swell at the butt of the handle.

The knife I have is marked W.R. Case & Sons Bradford PA. Blade measures 6". The handle is mostly gone but what is left I belive is original. See the closeup of what the threaded handle bolts look like. The OP knife looks to have the original threaded handle bolts.The knife I have did not have the handle material drilled at the center of the handle. I have heard this knife was originally handled in stag as well but I can't verify that.
Attachments
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Is the OP knife lacquered/coated wood or some kind of composite material? Very cool history here, thanks for posting and thanks to the other posts. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:39 am Another great history lesson Ken, thank you... ::tu::
Thanks David. Studying Case family history and how pervasive the family was through numerous American cutlery companies during the 20th century intrigues and amazes me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”