Confused on older "Russell"

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
56Dodgers

Confused on older "Russell"

Post by 56Dodgers »

Hi, I recently took apart a very worn-out straightline Russell Barlow so I could re-handle it. I bought another straightline Russell off of eBay just to have another on hand.

I have attached several photos. You will see the brown bone handled one, single blade, clip, and also one that is taken apart with oak handles. The photos are not great, but there appears to be quite a difference on the RUSSELL stamp between the two of them. On the bone-handled one, the letters SELL appear to be double struck. The RUS is very faint. On the other loose blade, most of the SELL is faded away due to corrosion and cleaning. But you still get the sense of the smaller, even, slightly serif typeface on that one.

Looking at the bolsters, the one with the sloppy stamp R with arrow looks much crisper and deeper. Loose bone handle scale is from the one that is apart, you can see that the pins line up exactly with the sloppy stamped knife. Also, note the choil area of the sloppy stamped knife, it has that little triangle cut out, and the nail nick looks wrong.

What do I have here, a 50-60 year old fake Russell straightline? I believe the one that is taken apart and being put back together is authentic.

Thanks.
Attachments
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
15.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 827 times
121.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Confused on older "Russell"

Post by 1967redrider »

Lots of great info on this thread about the characteristics of a true Russell Barlow-

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37404&hilit=How+to+russell+barlow
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”