Possible bad tang stamp on Remington R1613

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RSD100

Possible bad tang stamp on Remington R1613

Post by RSD100 »

Here is a photo of a Remington Bullet Toothpick, R1613 that is currently on eBay. To me, the tang stamp doesn't look right, especially, "REMINGTON." Thoughts?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Possible bad tang stamp on Remington R1613

Post by knifegnome »

The word Remington looks engraved and very uneven, the "Round Bullet shield" should be R953 , the R1613 will have the Bullet shield.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The round shield is correct for the knife. I would be skeptical of any old Remingtion TP with a bullet shield. Blade looks terribly over buffed. Just one picture of the mark tang isn't much to go on.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

It looked good to me until I enlarged the picture, then I could see what you meant. The size and spacing of the letters is very inconsistent.
Unless their camera did something weird, I am very suspicious of that stamp.
If there were a way to have the knife in hand and study it with a loupe, you could tell much more.
Since I cannot do that, I withhold judgement for now.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The M and G in Remington sure look weird, like they came from someplace else.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Seeing the rest of the knife would help. Tang stamp is the LAST thing I look at. What does the rest of the knife tell you? If the knife is wrong, typically there are other clues that indicate fraud, before you ever get to the stamp. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Here is the link to the knife on eBay. The unfortunate part it is posted by one of the large sellers on AAPK Stores.

There doesn't appear to be a pattern number on the reverse tang, but it is hard to tell for sure. Also, there is no grooved hook remover in the blade tip bolster. But, the knife does not appear to be altered. Here is link to more pics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143784489944
eBay item number:143784489944
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Funny looking stamp on front of tang and no pattern number on back isn't a good combination.

Wayne

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RSD100 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:27 pm Here is the link to the knife on eBay. The unfortunate part it is posted by one of the large sellers on AAPK Stores.

There doesn't appear to be a pattern number on the reverse tang, but it is hard to tell for sure. Also, there is no grooved hook remover in the blade tip bolster. But, the knife does not appear to be altered. Here is link to more pics:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143784489944
eBay item number:143784489944
Which AAPK store?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

btrwtr wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 am The round shield is correct for the knife. I would be skeptical of any old Remingtion TP with a bullet shield. Blade looks terribly over buffed. Just one picture of the mark tang isn't much to go on.
Wayne, sounds like you don’t think Remington made a R 1613 with bullet shield. Thanks Harold
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

stockman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:13 am
btrwtr wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 am The round shield is correct for the knife. I would be skeptical of any old Remingtion TP with a bullet shield. Blade looks terribly over buffed. Just one picture of the mark tang isn't much to go on.
Wayne, sounds like you don’t think Remington made a R 1613 with bullet shield. Thanks Harold
Harold, not that I don't believe they were made but just that there seem to be way more fakes than real examples. I do consider the round shield found on the R1613 TP and the R3843 multi blade to be a bullet shield in that they do represent the round profile of the cartridge bottom. A gentleman I met years ago that had the largest original Remington knife collection I've ever seen called them all Cartridge knives rather than Bullet knives.

Wayne

stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Wayne,

Harold

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”