Russell looking OK?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Russell looking OK?

Post by 1967redrider »

At the least, someone buffed the hide clean off of it. Long pulls on the main and pen but nothing on the Sheepfoot? Could they have buffed the nail nick completely off?

Ron Stewart's, The Standard Knife Collector's Guide, Sixth Edition, has a cattleman's on Page 344, but it is in Ebony with a bowed stamp.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very odd that the pull on the sheepfoot is gone completely. John, I don't think it is possible to "polish" a pull out of existence. Maybe with a grinder, but why would you do that? And, why wouldn't the other two blades have the same problem? Also, the swedges on the spear and the sheepfoot look like they were created after the fact on a grinder and not very well done. I do like the scales. They look like old Schrade peachseed jigging. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some good observations. The jigging is a little like Schrade peach seed but it would not fly with us Schrade collectors. I think the whole thing is a fake but I am going on intuition; I am not knowledgeable on this one at all.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I thought peach seed too. Russell used bone but not sure if it was peach seed jigged? ::shrug::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
just bob

Post by just bob »

I went back in the 1834 Russell catalog and looked. Russell did not have a stockman style knife with bone handles shown. They have them in wood, stag, and model stag. I have no idea what model stag is supposed to look like? It is certain that the knives shown in the catalog have this same type of shield. It seems certain the blades are boogered up on this, but this could very well be the real thing or not. Does anyone have an example of model stag? I have a small Russell knife with genuine stag and this is different. I'll post a picture from the catalog when I get on the other computer.
Attachments
aa.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have never seen pre-war bone jigged like that (it isn't even close to Schrade jigging) but I have seen a few examples done by modern craftsmen.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is one that I have in ebony. All three blades have the long pull. The bone on the OP is something I haven't seen before.
Attachments
IMG_6682 (2).JPG
IMG_6681 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

When I look close I can see the long pull on the sheepsfoot blade. It is there, but it looks like it may be shallow. It's definitely hard to see because it is polished shiny inside of the nick, where the other two nail pulls are still dark on the insides.
I do not know about the bone, but at the least these blades have been over-buffed.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:32 pm Here is one that I have in ebony. All three blades have the long pull. The bone on the OP is something I haven't seen before.

That's a gorgeous one, Greg. ::tu::

herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Reverand wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:58 am When I look close I can see the long pull on the sheepsfoot blade. It is there, but it looks like it may be shallow. It's definitely hard to see because it is polished shiny inside of the nick, where the other two nail pulls are still dark on the insides.
I do not know about the bone, but at the least these blades have been over-buffed.
You certainly have a sharp eye Reverand! Now that you mentioned it, I went back and looked more closely, and you sure are right. I can even see a bit of the end of the pull where is a bit dark inside. ::dang::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
just bob

Post by just bob »

I have looked through a lot of pictures and spent some time in my books. I don't see another Russell knife that looks anywhere similar to this. Here is an early one with bone handles and it is different. Only a opinion here and I have no evidence to base this on. Possibly model stag is what we would call second cut stag. The primary piece of stag was removed to make handles with and then the remaining piece (s) was modeled to resemble stag? Keep in mind this was all done by hand so no 2 pcs would be the same. One operator might have one method and the person setting next to them might use a different method. Knives were tools and not collectable. QC standards, if any were very lax. Russell set the standard that other cutlery companies would follow. The old pictures shows a room full of women working in the etching dept. and men laying on sleds over a grinding wheel with their dogs on the back of their legs to them to keep them warm. Children as young as 12 years of age worked there. Production was very primitive in nature. Other than the Barlow's there aren't many surviving Russell knives with bone handles out there. I don't know if the knife in the OP is legit or not, but I would like to own it.
Attachments
bb.jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

just bob wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:53 pmI have no idea what model stag is supposed to look like?
1 unproven hypothesis I have is that Model Stag is stag that is modeled (and jigged) from bone vs Stag which comes from antlers. I have seen the term "model stag" from other manufacturers (maybe Randall?)
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree Phil, my opinion is “model stag” was their description for jigged bone. It was not uncommon for manufacturers at that time to jig bone and call it by descriptive terms that contained the word “stag”. JMO. For example Remington’s “bone stag”. Somewhere around here I have a book on Russell cutlery. If I can find it I’ll see what it says, if anything, about “model stag”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm My opinion is “model stag” was their description for jigged bone. It was not uncommon for manufacturers at that time to jig bone and call it by descriptive terms that contained the word “stag”. JMO. For example Remington’s “bone stag”.

Ken
I agree with that assessment of the "model stag".

I think the OP knife is genuine, as stated by others heavily buffed.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
michaelgoconnorjr

Post by michaelgoconnorjr »

Any idea wheat this is?
Any idea wheat this is?
Please help
Please help

Any idea what this is found in pristine condition hoping it is old.
just bob

Post by just bob »

That’s a reproduction knife made by Colonial in the late 1980’s I think and came in a set.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

michaelgoconnorjr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 am FCCCE955-04E0-4682-95AD-676585E0F09C.jpegE419AFEE-CCCE-4D84-BC30-63A959C424CB.jpeg

Any idea what this is found in pristine condition hoping it is old.
I can't help you identify your knife Michael, ::shrug:: but I'd like to ::welcome:: you to AAPK! ::handshake:: Check back regularly as someone will be along who will be able to help! Plenty of very knowledgeable enthusiasts on this forum! 8)
8)
michaelgoconnorjr

Post by michaelgoconnorjr »

Thank you seems to new to be old. But isn’t numbered like other sets I’ve seen online
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is the story of why Russell turned to Colonial to make the sets in 1996. I own the prototypes.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... pe#p624541

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Can't say I see anything wrong with the OP knife. The description in the sale is pretty accurate.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
celluloidheros

Post by celluloidheros »

This picture has two knives of interest the top knife is a platts with similar Jigging to the Russell. The lower right knife is the fake Continental that is a great pattern and tons of work for a $30 knife. There is another post about fake miller bros. I believe the same person made the miller bros and the Continental.
Thanks, DC

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”