Fake hen and rooster

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
SmileyBuck

Fake hen and rooster

Post by SmileyBuck »

Purchased a hen and rooster to be my first H&R and I'm still looking for my first H&R

No H&R name
No model number
All brass
Smooth bone

Looks old
Attachments
20220314_203030.jpg
20220314_203018.jpg
20220314_202510.jpg
20220313_082025.jpg
20220314_202936.jpg
I Like Buck, Case, Boker, and Everything Else
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fake hen and rooster

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Hen and Rooster knives made during the time when A.G. Russell owned the brand and controlled the company are stamped similarly with no name under the Hen and Rooster on the tang. They do often include Bertram on the back but not all. I’m guessing this knife came from that time period.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
SmileyBuck

Post by SmileyBuck »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 am Hen and Rooster knives made during the time when A.G. Russell owned the brand and controlled the company are stamped similarly with no name under the Hen and Rooster on the tang. They do often include Bertram on the back but not all. I’m guessing this knife came from that time period.
You believe it to be real? Most everybody I have showed it to says H&R never stamped "solingen stainless 440" on their knives
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Quote": You believe it to be real?
Many collectors of vintage German cutlery consider the bench made "C. Bertram" knives with the Hen & Rooster logo stamped into the tang to be the only real authentic Hen & Rooster knives.
BY 1980 H&R markings were acquired by Kissing Crane and H&R became a factory production knife, no longer a knife made by a cutler at his own workbench.
kj
CJohnson73

Post by CJohnson73 »

Prior to the 1980s, Hen and Rooster knives were among the greatest ever created! A G Russell tried to keep them functioning from 1970 until 1980, but had to relinquish control of the firm to creditors in 1980. Mr. Russell did his best to keep the firm running, but the US dollar's exchange rate versus the German Mark proved difficult. BTW, I wish I had purchased some original Hen Rooster when they were available, but I was raising a family and couldn't afford them. Now they're 'handmade' in Spain. Anyways, it looks nice.
SmileyBuck

Post by SmileyBuck »

Thanks for the replies my main concern was it is a Chinese fake not worth the box it came in it seems well made the bone looks good but it has a gap in the back spring but that looks like it's do to damage instead of F&F
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I can't imagine someone would counterfeit a H&R, but stranger things have happened. ::nod:: Ol' Frosty has done a number on the H&R name over the resent years. There's even H&R International. ::disgust::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

A lot of people claim that the early pre-1980 H&R knives were the best, but honestly I think a lot of that claim goes to A.G. Russell saying so. He was quite proud of the company and I have a lot of respect for his contributions to the knife world, but I have owned H&R's from all eras and for me the quality from the Klaas produced knives have sometimes surpass what Gutmann was putting out. Klaas introduced a lot more patterns and materials as well.

As for the knife, I believe this is a franken-knife. The pin on the bolster looks like it had been replaced at some point. If it was an early knife, I don't recall ever seeing H&R produce the copperhead pattern until later years. A lot of the older one's were stamped "Germany" and not with "Solingen". Many times you'd have the Gutmann stamp as well on the other side. Only time they've ever had blade steel stamped are the one's made in Spain/China. Your knife doesn't have any indication of it being made in Spain either... Where was it purchased? I would return to seller and look into a refund.
SmileyBuck

Post by SmileyBuck »

RevolverGuy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:40 pm A lot of people claim that the early pre-1980 H&R knives were the best, but honestly I think a lot of that claim goes to A.G. Russell saying so. He was quite proud of the company and I have a lot of respect for his contributions to the knife world, but I have owned H&R's from all eras and for me the quality from the Klaas produced knives have sometimes surpass what Gutmann was putting out. Klaas introduced a lot more patterns and materials as well.

As for the knife, I believe this is a franken-knife. The pin on the bolster looks like it had been replaced at some point. If it was an early knife, I don't recall ever seeing H&R produce the copperhead pattern until later years. A lot of the older one's were stamped "Germany" and not with "Solingen". Many times you'd have the Gutmann stamp as well on the other side. Only time they've ever had blade steel stamped are the one's made in Spain/China. Your knife doesn't have any indication of it being made in Spain either... Where was it purchased? I would return to seller and look into a refund.
Purchased at a gun show for $10 don't have much in it so if it's an actual H&R its going into my collection if not it'll end up in pocket or traded
seeker7391

Post by seeker7391 »

I have one. I was very excited about uit until I turned it over and it said Spain.
Then my Dad was going to put a handle on it and he stuck a magnet to it. So now I am really dissapointed!
Attachments
20230222_163440.jpg
20230222_163435.jpg
20230222_163420.jpg
20230222_163415.jpg
20230222_163330.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

seeker7391 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 pm I have one. I was very excited about uit until I turned it over and it said Spain.
Then my Dad was going to put a handle on it and he stuck a magnet to it. So now I am really dissapointed!

Some newer Hen & Rooster fixed blades have Toledo, Spain steel. Personally I don't see that as a disappointment, unless you were specifically looking for German Solingen?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
seeker7391

Post by seeker7391 »

Not really. I was just excited about it. Well now that youve cleared that up the dissapointment is gone. Thanks. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it looks with a handle!
Thanks for the reply.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::welcome:: to AAPK, Seeker! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

SmileyBuck wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:30 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 am Hen and Rooster knives made during the time when A.G. Russell owned the brand and controlled the company are stamped similarly with no name under the Hen and Rooster on the tang. They do often include Bertram on the back but not all. I’m guessing this knife came from that time period.
You believe it to be real? Most everybody I have showed it to says H&R never stamped "solingen stainless 440" on their knives
They actually never did!!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”