Fake Case Brothers on eBay

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Fake Case Brothers on eBay

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This one has so many problems. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325160490375?h ... SwVSBiZESI

The most obvious is that Case Brothers never used a shield that said CASE on it. Let alone a shield from 1960s/1970s like this one. The master blade tang has been obviously grinded down and a cold stamp applied - in fact the shoulder grind line on this one has been almost entirely removed. ::dang:: Last but not least, the 65 “folding hunter” pattern did not appear until some time during the Case Bradford era - to my knowledge Case Brothers never made the pattern. This knife is most likely a 1960s or 1970s (dotted) folding hunter, that some shyster has re-stamped in an effort to make it appear more valuable to a sucker. ::facepalm::

65 pattern experts can probably tell more about when this one might have been made based on the frame, blade, nail pull, etc. It does seem to have bone (not the later Pakkawood) covers.

Ken
Attachments
FC126B3E-4F59-4A18-AFE4-DCB5D5FB51AC.jpeg
8CE18B3D-E430-4735-9EE3-E056EFD0D0F1.jpeg
B93037F0-F0AD-4553-9D4D-9042C052AB2B.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fake Case Brothers on eBay

Post by dlr110 »

Ken the guy has ended the sale, but I'll bet it will be back up sometime in the near future.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WOW! As a folding Hunter fan, that one is just awful. Stamp, jigged ___?, blade, drilled, shield. ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As pointed out. The head end bolster is wrong. The drilled frame is wrong. The nail pull is wrong. The shield is wrong. Obviously wrong fake stamp. Handle pins are wrong. Other than these issues it's a nice knife. ::facepalm::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

I cropped out a closeup of the knife. The shield isn’t a flush fit as it appears the bone was ground out further to the right. Or the shield is a replacement? Don’t know how often older Case knives have that sort of issue.

Also the bone has a look of late 70’s Appaloosa, or so I think.
Attachments
C6698187-4D23-4E97-BC58-242DE99791C5.jpeg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

From my layman's perspective regarding that shield, the oval ends are not equal. Left end is wider than the right. It almost makes me suspect that someone took a piece of aluminum, tried to shape it and then stamped it with a "case" stamp. ::shrug:: One can have a stamp made for just about anything nowadays.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's a legitimate Case shield. Just didn't come on that knife, or at least not the CASE BROTHERS knife the listing said it is. The knife is a conundrum to me. It has a mid 1960s- 70's shield (open C, squatty flat top S), and looks like modern era Rogers bone.
IIRC it was about late 60s that Case started intermitently putting jigged Pakkawood on some 65 patterns, and converted to all Pakkawood by early 70s (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

As was already mentioned the nail nick is in the position of a newer blade, the frame is a post-XX frame, And then there's the drilled bolster- not sure what years those were produced but the pattern wasn't even made by Case Brothers. I've already pointed out the shaved tang and cold stamp in the prior post. I'm sure there are other flaws, but the whole thing is an abomination. But it might make an EDC! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Potechop

Post by Potechop »

Some of these knives on eBay are starting to be like that old song Jonny Cash sang . They build them one piece at a time ::paranoid:: might be 60 65 70 75 80. ::shrug::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Enlarged TritonJ's picture, cannot tell for sure if this is jigged Pakawood or something else. ::shrug::
Attachments
Screenshot_20220501-211947.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

I’m a fan of early to mid 70’s Case knives. Sometimes the quality is freaking sweet, other times meh. I’ve seen a couple knives from that era with the same shield issue, where it is not properly fitted. When I zoomed in I thought someone took brown colored putty and filled in around the left side and base, but forgot the right side. Also it’s possible there aren’t any shield pins on this beauty. I think Case stopped pinning and started gluing shields around 1977?

Ken, I say this a lot……. I’m not an expert like you, or Pfeiffer, or many others here, but you don’t have to convince me this knife is a steaming pile of crap. Might make a good apple slicer and that’s about it.
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

Interesting info about the Pakkawood.
I haven’t dealt much at all with 65’s of any era but glad to learn new stuff.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”