J. Russell Single Blade Jack Legit?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

J. Russell Single Blade Jack Legit?

Post by herbva »

I hope/wish this knife was legit, but there are a few things about it (other than being overly cleaned) that make me suspicious. In particular, the tang stamp looks like the letters were hand stamped, one letter at a time, and some of them are crooked, spaced differently, out of line, etc. My copy of Goins, shows and describes quite a few J. Russell tang stamps and I don't see any that look, or are described like this one. And there is no mention of any shield being stamped "G.R.W." (Green River Works), but it does have the diamonds on either side that are pictured in some of the tang stamps shown in Goins. What do y'all think? ::hmm::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403674587822?_ ... 7Ciid%3A14
Attachments
DSCN9945.JPG
DSCN9950.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: J. Russell Single Blade Jack Legit?

Post by stockman »

herb, don't look like any old Russell I have seen. Hope I,m wrong.

Harold
just bob

Post by just bob »

I vote NO!!!! Isn't that a left-handed knife? Nothing in the Russell books that look anything like that. G.R.W. on the shield - that's new. I assume intended to mean Green River Works?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I know nothing about the knife Herb, ::shrug:: other than to say, perhaps the shield was made by a previous owner and the initials belong to them? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

just bob wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm I vote NO!!!! Isn't that a left-handed knife? Nothing in the Russell books that look anything like that. G.R.W. on the shield - that's new. I assume intended to mean Green River Works?
That's exactly what I assumed Bob - Green River Works. I was hoping this was a rare one, but the tang stamp seems just so suspect............ ::shrug::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Madmarco wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 pm I know nothing about the knife Herb, ::shrug:: other than to say, perhaps the shield was made by a previous owner and the initials belong to them? ::shrug:: 8)
Mark, I love these big jacks and the old J. Russells are so cool. Maybe this was a rare one from before the Green River Works fire in 1868? Probably not.

Herb
TritonJ

Post by TritonJ »

I don’t know, Herb.
I’m siding with Harold and Bob here.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

herbva wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:47 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 pm I know nothing about the knife Herb, ::shrug:: other than to say, perhaps the shield was made by a previous owner and the initials belong to them? ::shrug:: 8)
Mark, I love these big jacks and the old J. Russells are so cool. Maybe this was a rare one from before the Green River Works fire in 1868? Probably not.
That theory is fine by me Herb! ::handshake:: Like I said, I know nothing about your knife! ::shrug:: Nice to know someone else likes em' BIG! 8)
8)

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”