Platts

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Platts

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thoughts on this one boys and girls, a friend bought it and just showed it to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265774531355?m ... 7675.l2557
BWT

Re: Platts

Post by BWT »

I was watching that knife Mike. Two things,one out of my price range and I had no idea if it was legitimate??? It is a really good looking knife, to good almost??
Bill
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks Bill, I don’t like the look of it. Stamping looks new and I HATE buffed knives. They can hide a multitude of sins!!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I watched that one. Heavily buffed, and looks like a Challenge Cut Co jack. At least I have owned several Challenge cigar jacks identical to that knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I thought friends didn't let friends buy over buffed knives!! Man, I hate when they buff the bone!! I am suspicious too Mike, blade grinds do not look like early or perhaps any Platts I have handled. Of course what we think won't get his money back unless the seller is a really understanding person. I think he could probably get a nicer Platts knife for that kind of $$, even from Artie.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Letters look too round as well, but that is hard to tell from photos.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Does Ren Wax make the bone look shiny like that? ::shrug:: Definitely pocket worn. Pictures added for future reference.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220717-195809.png
Screenshot_20220717-195757.png
Screenshot_20220717-195744.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That shine to the bone is the result of buffing on a wheel. Somebody just buffed the whole knife, bone, bolsters and blades. May have been pocket worn, but a buffer wears bone down too.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Steve nailed it. Over buffed challenge frame, heavily buffed blades with bad stamps. If it was legit I wouldn’t entertain that price range with all the buffing.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
EC_Snooker

Post by EC_Snooker »

I watched that knife also. Very glad galvanic1882 posted about it asking for input. Way out of my price range. Still learning about the "old stuff" but I'm always curious about bright shiny knives that are 100 years old. Very pleased to see all the comments from everyone.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Stamp is definitely not right,letters are rounded. ::td::
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Grind line shoulder has the tell-tale curve up as it nears the spine, typical of a “shaved” tang.

Ken
Attachments
51C3B394-AA94-4917-BD7D-07C90216814A.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Mike, I hope your friend will return the knife for a refund.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Yes, I believe he is doing that. Thanks for the help guys. It's good to have back up when letting someone know a knife is not right or worth the money!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

These kinds of posts always offer such great insight, especially with comments from such knowledgeable and experienced knifers.
A big help.
A big thank you.
Joe
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:00 am Does Ren Wax make the bone look shiny like that? ::shrug:: Definitely pocket worn. Pictures added for future reference.
Ren Wax/Walker Wax doesn't make bone all shiny like that John. Once applied and wiped off, any part that it was applied to will simply look cleaner but not shiny. It leaves a protective coating behind. It's good stuff if you haven't tried it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It would seem that Mike's friend got his refund since the knife has been re-listed starting at US$199.99/1 bid. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This might be just a co-inky-dink, but there's a brand new topic titled "Vintage Platt's Help" with no pictures and a request for information. Same seller perhaps looking for accurate info so he can confidently relist the knife? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Where is that post?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sorry man I logged-off right after my post. If you click-on "Active Topics" from the "Quick Links" link, it's on there about 3/4 of the way down the 1st page, by Clark23. 8)
8)
Rolloff3

Post by Rolloff3 »

Thank you Mike and friends for all your help and input on this platts that I almost added to my small book growing collection the gentleman that was selling the knife did except the return with no questions asked I’m grateful for that as clearly this knife is not what it was represented as and very possibly the seller was not aware or was aware either way grateful for your input
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Rolloff3 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am Thank you Mike and friends for all your help and input on this platts that I almost added to my small book growing collection the gentleman that was selling the knife did except the return with no questions asked I’m grateful for that as clearly this knife is not what it was represented as and very possibly the seller was not aware or was aware either way grateful for your input
One of the things I do when I see a suspicious listing is look at the seller's current and past listings. That will give you some idea about the seller.

In this case, his current lists look more like an estate sale grouping, a few knives, a few tools, etc. His completed sales are similar.

I think this guy buys a bunch of stuff at estate sales or has an in with an estate sales coordinator and he lists up whatever he has for marketing. Since he has only been on fleabay (under his current name at least) since Sept 2021 and only has 75 feedbacks, I'd chalk this one up to rookie knife seller. I also suspect this guy in the past has only browsed through a couple of knife forums to pick out IDs. Maybe he'll become a regular.
Rolloff3

Post by Rolloff3 »

I think that sums it up pretty good the round corners on the tang mark was the clincher for me. The book on counterfeit knives is also very helpful I still have a long way to go on learning what to look for and it’s nice to know I have a group of guys and girls with years of knowledge that are willing to share thanks again Pete
batterprize

Post by batterprize »

I saw that movie. Heavily polished and looks like a jack from Challenge Cut Co. At least I've had a few Challenge cigar jacks that were just like that onebackrooms game

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”