Sportcolbs Resume

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sportcolbs Resume

Post by btrwtr »

I was recently doing a completed knife sale search on eBay and was curious to see the number of resent sales from this seller that were at least spurious. Given that I wasn't looking for counterfeits and didn't look very deep in my search I found it disconcerting to see these higher end sales of such questionable knives from the same seller. I was searching by highest price sale first and all 4 of these knives came up on the first search page. eBay search often gives you a lot of what you aren't specifically looking for as in this case. Sort of an inpromptu resume for this seller.

I know this seller sells many good knives and understand that he might not have direct supervision over all these sales. That said, it is his sale and he is untimately resposible for it. Good and bad knives sell all the same. Beware the red background.

The first knife a Tested Case 6445 was advertised with no handle cracks but there is a very large and ugly crack across the front handle.

Second knife has fake stamps.

Third knife is a modern complete fake.

Fourth knife another modern complete fake.

Total of sale prices is $827.50 for the four knives.
Attachments
Case with no handle cracks $272
Case with no handle cracks $272
NYK counterfeit $224.50
NYK counterfeit $224.50
NYK counterfeit$189.50
NYK counterfeit$189.50
Wilbert counterfeit $141.50
Wilbert counterfeit $141.50
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sportcolbs Resume

Post by Rookie »

I got burned by him many years ago when I was learning. It was an expensive lesson. And he lost my future business because of it.
Carl B.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Not surprised at this. ::censored::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, in general ole Sporty is bad news. But on occasion I have seen him sell rare fixed blades for a song. Gotta be really careful with buying from him but once in a while he has something good for a good price.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I saw the Wilbert and had no idea it was a fake. Thanks for the info big time. He also has this one that caught my eye but out of my league dollar wise. But now I"m wondering if these are fakes too and not worth what they are going for? And if they are fakes, I must say they faked some FABulous bone. It's stunning. Wherever they are getting it is amazing, and the knife building these fakers are doing is great by the looks of it. Any thoughts appreciated.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ixQAAOSw ... s-l400.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144999419745
Attachments
s-l1600.png
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The "Wilbert" one can be found with many different markings and I've seen a couple different markings on the one you show. The depth of the fluting on the fancy bolsters of the "Wilbert" are not as defined nor as deep as some originals of the pattern had. The main "tell" on both of them is that they look like new and the blades have no top grinds (swedges to some). You will not see genuine antique pocket knives without top grinds. The bone on the "NYK" does look nice, but it does not look like NYK bone, they used a different jigging pattern. The blade markings mimic the originals but are not quite right. If these look nice to you never buy from Sporty, and it is best to stay away from a lot of TN and KY internet sellers. Parker imported many of those fakes with names of great old companies and most were distributed in that area although they can be found in any state.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

NYK didn't put their jack knife pen blades on the pile side. That and the bone are the most glaring tells on that knife, regardless of the pattern.

Eric
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I once bought a Case Fixed Blade knife from this seller. Advertised as mint. It was not. Not close. Very creative and deceiving photos. But, to his credit, he accepted the return and promptly refunded my entire cost.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

His return policy to me means, "I'll backpedal if my hand gets caught in the cookie jar." Not someone I want to do business with.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Sportcolbs certainly has a lot on knives for sale. I somewhat
frequently see his listings and only give his listings a slight
glance. Too many poor reviews about him here and I don't
want to deal with the possibility of fakes.

Bob
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:25 pm I saw the Wilbert and had no idea it was a fake. Thanks for the info big time. He also has this one that caught my eye but out of my league dollar wise. But now I"m wondering if these are fakes too and not worth what they are going for? And if they are fakes, I must say they faked some FABulous bone. It's stunning. Wherever they are getting it is amazing, and the knife building these fakers are doing is great by the looks of it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Some one paid a bunch of $$$ for it .I hope they are not greatly disappointed .
Attachments
144CEA42-BD44-4DEE-AE13-5FCFEC13298B.png
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thomasg wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:25 pm I saw the Wilbert and had no idea it was a fake. Thanks for the info big time. He also has this one that caught my eye but out of my league dollar wise. But now I"m wondering if these are fakes too and not worth what they are going for? And if they are fakes, I must say they faked some FABulous bone. It's stunning. Wherever they are getting it is amazing, and the knife building these fakers are doing is great by the looks of it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Amen to that. That's so much dough for any knife I feel bad if some day in the future he finds it's not authentic and is disappointed. But it's such a beautiful knife too. That is one of the best looking Eureka jacks I have seen period. The bone color and jigging is amazing.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:43 am
Thomasg wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:15 pm

Amen to that. That's so much dough for any knife I feel bad if some day in the future he finds it's not authentic and is disappointed. But it's such a beautiful knife too. That is one of the best looking Eureka jacks I have seen period. The bone color and jigging is amazing.
The groves on the bolsters also add an elegant look to the knife . Way out of my budget limit for any knife.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I've bought several knives from him, but they've all been fixed blades, primarily Westerns and Kabars, but a couple of others as well.

I've never been burned by him, but then I always apply Mr.Bernard Levine's admonition -

READ THE KNIFE NOT THE STORY!""

and then I decide if the knife in question is worth that much TO ME.

Every now and then, he has included some kind of langiappe in the package, generally an old folder that I have no use for and assume is something that won't sell for some reason. Those go in the "to be sold in bulk to Paladin" box that I chunk the excess knives into that come from lots of "XX" knives off fleabay from which I really only wanted 1 or 2 of.
2382gabriel

Post by 2382gabriel »

My brother bought the NYK. He’s sorely disappointed, trying to do a return
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

2382gabriel wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:35 am My brother bought the NYK. He’s sorely disappointed, trying to do a return
That's a real shame, Gabriel, but as said above the return policy should have him covered.
::welcome:: to AAPK, and perhaps get your brother to join in as well! ::handshake::
8)
8)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Bernie Levine stated, many years ago in his Whut-Izzit? Column in KnifeWorld Magazine, re’ vintage knives on Ebay, “Stay away from knives on a red background” or words to that effect.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:11 pm Bernie Levine stated, many years ago in his Whut-Izzit? Column in KnifeWorld Magazine, re’ vintage knives on Ebay, “Stay away from knives on a red background” or words to that effect.
Hey Charlie, I’ve read that before too, but have never understood the reasoning behind it. Could you explain why that matters? I’ve seen plenty of issues on knives with red backgrounds and I’ve seen a lot of great knives on red backgrounds so this puzzles me as to what difference does it make?
Thanks
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I think it's in reference to Sportcolbs always using a red background, Mark, and all the controversy that goes with him, I think. ::hmm::
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

He's either referencing ol' Sporty or a previous scheister who also used a red background.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks for the explanation. That has confounded me for years. It helps to know the context this was stated in.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Bernard did not name the Ebay seller, but at the time, it was pretty obvious to whom he was referring.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
winst

Post by winst »

Gunsil wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:01 pm The "Wilbert" one can be found with many different markings and I've seen a couple different markings on the one you show. The depth of the fluting on the fancy bolsters of the "Wilbert" are not as defined nor as deep as some originals of the pattern had. The main "tell" on both of them is that they look like new and the blades have no top grinds (swedges to some). You will not see genuine antique pocket knives without top grinds. The bone on the "NYK" does look nice, but it does not look like NYK bone, they used a different jigging pattern. The blade markings mimic the originals but are not quite right. If these look nice to you never buy from Sporty, and it is best to stay away from a lot of TN and KY internet sellers. Parker imported many of those fakes with names of great old companies and most were distributed in that area although they can be found in any state.
It seems that you are saying that "parker" knowingly imported and distributed these fake knives????
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I had an interesting discussion today with a young (to me anyway - he’s forty-something) collector. He wanted to show me a newly acquired knife. It was still in the shipping box, which he had opened. In the process I noticed the return address was The Dusty Duck (Sportcolbs), and I commented that he needed to be cautious when buying from that source, unless he is very sure of what he is buying. “Why?” he asked.

I explained, but he was incredulous that anyone would sell a fake pocketknife, or that anyone would or could even make a counterfeit knife. I tried to explain about counterfeits but don’t think he was convinced.

Fortunately the knife he had purchased was a NIB Queen-made S&M, not a counterfeit. Unfortunately he’s an example of the type of buyer/collector that counterfeiters and sellers successfully prey upon. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”