what do you think of this one?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
duckdogs

what do you think of this one?

Post by duckdogs »

Vintage Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. 2159 3 1/2" Smooth Bone Barlow Pocket Knife
Vintage Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. 2159 3 1/2" Smooth Bone Barlow Pocket Knife
Having trouble figuring out how to attach a picture. It's eBay item number:166027722893
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: what do you think of this one?

Post by herbva »

I think I would run the other way. I think both blades have been been welded on and with a new tang stamp cold stamped on the primary blade. Even the new front pivot pin head looks pathetic (next to last pic). ::td::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166027722893?h ... R-6b7tbuYQ

All you have to do is copy the address at the top of the browser. 😉 I wonder what it looks like with the blades closed? ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
duckdogs

Post by duckdogs »

That's what I was thinking, that the blades didn't match the knife.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I agree - I would run away from that knife.
The knife has steel bolsters, so it was possible made around WWII. The bolsters have pitting and the handles have a lot of pocket wear, just as you would expect from a knife this old.
The main blade especially is too full to be that old. The tang has the "upswept" line showing that it has been shaved down and restamped, and the pivot pin has been replaced. The shape of the main blade looks off as well, though I do not have an example to prove it. It reminds me of the shape of new Pakistan-made Barlow blades, and not a real Cattaraugus.
I would not pay the shipping for it, much less the auction bid.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”