3rd party cookie issue...

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

3rd party cookie issue...

Post by Bryan »

I moved the following posts from the Q&A section of the forums where there was a thread that was attaching cookies from themacgeek.com

It got a little lengthy and off topic... I guess it was the thing to do. I don't know??? I try to do the right thing... I really do ::paranoid::

Link to thread here

Bryan
OSG

themacgeek

Post by OSG »

needs to stop loading cookies on other peoples systems
American By Birth
Southern By The Grace Of God
themacgeek

Huh?

Post by themacgeek »

What are you talking about?
It Ain't Easy Being A Geek
http://themacgeek.com
OSG

The Fact

Post by OSG »

that I have to block cookies from your site where I come here.
American By Birth
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

OSG,

Are you talking about the All About Pocket Knive's site? If so, can you please give me and everyone else more details so we know what you are talking about. After that, I'll give everyone a chance to read it ...in case you uncover some big mystery ...then I'm moving your post and the replies to the "feedback and suggestion" portion because it's waaaay off topic.

Bryan
9ball

Post by 9ball »

What's the deal with the "Cookies"? ::paranoid:: I blocked them, I hope. Better clean up to be sure. ::tu::
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Bryan, I just read your post. I got a pop up notice that a tracking cookie was coming from "themacgeek.com" and asking permission to be on my machine. What's the deal here?

Sorry to be "Off Topic", but It came from this thread.
9ball
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
OSG

Thanks 9 Ball

Post by OSG »

I was begining to think I was the only one.

Sorry if I caused any problems Bryan. Yes it was here on this topic that I got the cookie alert.
American By Birth
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

OSG,

I owe you an apology Sir :oops: . I didn't realize it was exclusive to this thread. Do you get the warning when you visit themacgeeks website through one of the links he has provided, or does it happen when you simply view this topic without clicking a link?

Thanks and I am sorry for my brash remarks,

There must be something in the air around here...

Bryan
OSG

No Problem Bryan

Post by OSG »

Yes it was here on this thread. I came in yesterday and my cookie blocker ask if I wanted a cookie from him or not. Nope I never went to his site.

Remember Bryan and anyone elese who reads this"all days are good it is just some are better than others."

That thing in the air is spring. :lol:
American By Birth
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Bryan,

I do not know about OSG, but I got the alert when I first visited this thread this morning. I have never been to themacgeek.com

I have my machine set to give me a "Heads Up"
that I am being tracked. Usually eBay, paypal, doubleclick etc. come up, but this is the first time it has happened on AAPK to me. I blocked it, but some folks do not know how to set it.

I am going to clean out my cookie/temp files and run an adware scan to be sure.

Sorry to cause any trouble, but I like to know who is tracking me around the web.

EDIT: Sorry did not see your post OSG.
BTW, Nice DH logo.
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I for one refer to the www as the Wild Wild West rather than the world wide web. ::tear:: I am going to set up my firewall to deal with this. It is what I call cyber vigilantism, we are left to protect ourselves because the legal system can't keep up with technology. ::huff:: I do have a few active ad ware, spy ware and other malware filters that block third party cookies and tracking cookies without my even knowing about it, makes life simpler. Don't know if this is why his pictures do not display on my PC or not, but his is the only one to not display. ::barf:: I find that odd, which of my filters is doing that?
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

OK...

Here is what I believe is going on... This forum and almost all others that I have ever seen allows members to put in links from off site websites to show pictures / avatars etc...

When this happens, you are actually viewing information from two seperate websites (two seperate servers) on one page.

themacgeek's pictures and avatar were coming from his website. (his server) and the rest was being displayed here by AAPK's site (our server). If his site set's cookies, and his images had code in them to do so, that is the only place they could have come from. The problem should be fixed now as I have removed any link from his website that could house a cookie.

Sorry to themacgeek for doing that, but effective immediately, AAPK does not allow linking any file that may attach a cookie to the browser.

I will keep a close eye on these situations in the future. If anything like this happens to you here again, please let me know asap.

I'm going to move these posts to the reconstructed "Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, etc..." section of the forum soon as it distracts from the topic ...after ample time passes for members to read it of course.

Thanks,
Bryan
themacgeek

My apologies to everyone

Post by themacgeek »

Hello everyone. I apologize that this has become what appears to be a big issue. I am not sure how or why it did, but never the less I am sorry.

I should note that I have only posted a few times on this website and those times were primarily in one thread. During that time posting I submitted several images to the board via the insertion of simple image links to my external website (primarily because the pictures are large and I did not want to suck up bandwidth here - which btw at last count was just under 3 gigs of transfer since the posts were first made.

One of the pictures I inserted linked to a Photoshop image gallery on my website as well. Please keep in mind that these were simple image and hyper links and at no time did I insert any code or other "tracking cookies" into any page or post on this site. If you visited my website, viewed the posts which had linked pictures, or viewed the image gallery which I linked too, then it is possible that a cookie was generated by my site since I use Google Analytics for visitor traffic monitoring. This software monitors every call to the server, regardless of the item being called via HTTP.

As my name implies, I am a Mac user, and as such I do not worry much about all of the hard core virus and privacy software which is nec. for windozs users. This software is probably a big cause for all of the concern generated as can be confirmed by the moderator or other members who actually received this cooking on thier machine.

I just like to make sure that it is clear what is really happening in this situation. Thank you for your time and again my apologies for the trouble.
It Ain't Easy Being A Geek
http://themacgeek.com

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”