POLL: Anyone Having Trouble Posting Pictures on AAPK????

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

POLL: Anyone Having Trouble Posting Pictures on AAPK????

Post by Miller Bro's »

This has been a problem for a long time. I am having trouble posting pictures, and staying logged in! :x

Anyone else having the same problem, from reading different posts it seems I am not alone.

I have contacted Bryan about it. If you are having problems post it here!

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: POLL: Anyone Having Trouble Posting Pictures on AAPK????

Post by muskrat man »

no problems here
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
icemilk

Post by icemilk »

Some of the pictures I try to post I get a message that says, "invalid". Maybe, well I don't know.
Wow! That baby is sharp.
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Yep, I have my knife photos in photobucket.
Other sites allow me to copy the URL and paste it right into the post text.
AAPK won't let me do that.

Having to use the attachment method I have to search my pictures on my computer by date they were entered, not by brand & pattern. What a pain.

I've asked several times about why the photobucket URL can't be pasted in like on other sites but no one has bothered to explain why or if I'm missing a secret code word.
Oh well, least the parking is still free. :mrgreen:
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I have seen some photobucket images posted here at AAPK but I don't use it. I do see a url and image tag above the text box that I'm writing in so it would seem that posting from photobucket should be possible. I have never had a problem uploading an image from my PC.

Here is a picture that is from photobucket that I chose at random.
http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... 14&t=12665 It is an image that Kaleb inserted from photobucket of a knife he customized. I see that it is resized to 800 x 600 so it may be possible that if your images are to large - they won't upload. In this case his picture (image) is 43766 bytes - about 44kB.

Right click on the picture and select properties at the bottom of the menu and you will see all the information as far as where it came from, the image dimensions, and size of the image.

If you have trouble posting (uploading an image), the first thing I would try is to resize the picture. There are lots of FREE programs to resize your pictures.
Hukk
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

It doesn't appear to be bothering my photobucket. I hit the IMG code and it copied and I pasted ( using CTRL V )

I am using FIREFOX, and have it set to accept COOKIES.. :roll:

Might check your browser settings and permissions.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Hukk,

The problem, at least for me, isn`t the size of the photo. I do not use photobucket or any other service. I take a picture and when you click the browse box below, you search for the picture you want. In my case I take the picture directly of my 3.5" floppy disk. I choose the picture I want from the list and then click "add the file", this is where the problem begins. It either downloads like it should or it brings me back to the login page :x Then I have to start all over again till either I give up or it finally works ::disgust:: I found that clearing all the "board cookies" helps, but it is not a permanent solution.

Every time I want to post a text message, there is usually no problem, in any case every time I want to post anything, text or pictures it`s back to the signin page! ::cr:: And yes I am checking the little box to keep me logged in, I might as well try to bail out the ocean with a teaspoon, that`s how much that box helps.

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
useem

Post by useem »

i get the "invalid" thing too ::shrug::
bamafan

Post by bamafan »

Having problems staying logged in to the chat room. Message I get is "expired login time", or soemthing to that effect.

But I am able to post links to my Photobucket account without any problems.

justold52

Post by justold52 »

I still have a problem in the chat room sending not peg photos.

So I just show them in GD and delete them after the men in there see it.
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Seein if this works..

EDIT: everything seemed to work as advertised. That is the first time I've used the forum's server to upload an attachment.

MB, what kind of connection do you have to the inter net?
Attachments
881.jpg
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

I download jpegs from my documents, and it works every time!
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

everytime i post this pic of an "honest" Congressman, NOTHING shows up..... other than that, all my pics show.....
regards. . . Blister

jpeg.no *%**&#@) way #OU-812
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

MILLER BRO`S wrote: Hukk,
The problem, at least for me, isn`t the size of the photo. I do not use photobucket or any other service. I take a picture and when you click the browse box below, you search for the picture you want. In my case I take the picture directly of my 3.5" floppy disk. M.B.

::hmm:: I wonder - they don't normally put floppy disks in PC's anymore because they are much slower and vulnerable compared to today's flash drives that are available. Floppy disks have a capacity of 1.44 MB and are considered obsolete. Flash drives can hold as much as 128 GB and the older 128 MB, 256 MB, and 512 MB flash drives are being phased out by many companies because they do not contain enough storage space (a 512 MB flash drive will hold the same amount of data as 355 floppy drives and this is becoming obsolete). Flash drives use the newer USB 2.0 at 480 MB/sec vs. the older USB 1.1 at 12 MB/sec and the floppy comes in at 1.1 MB (not allowing for start up) and these are maximum speeds.

If you are using a dial up connection with a floppy I would suspect that you may be timing out. You should upload posts directly from a file located on the C drive - I use My Pictures (XP) or Pictures (Vista). My computers are fairly fast (except my 7 year old XP Laptop) and I keep cleaning out the clutter that slows a computers performance. I use an internet connection with 784 KB/sec (upload likely half that) (cause it's only $20.00) vs. a dial up that really sees about 26.5 kB/sec.

Anyhow, you may have more success with your pictures by not using a floppy. I'd give that a try first, then connection speed. Last, computer speed is affected by the clutter they pick up over the years. I clean mine every time I shut my PC off - daily.
Hukk
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I'm betting on the "floppy problem".
I post mine from a folder in My Docs with never a problem. I found recently that I don't even have to click the Add File button.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

haven't had any problems here ::shrug::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Recently whenever I've attempted to take and post a picture, I get the "file is invalid" message. It will go through the entire process like an upload is taking place then give me that message. Now here's the mystery for me. I have pictures stored on the same computer taken with the same camera a few months ago and I have been able to upload and post them with no problem as recently as just a few days ago. What I don't understand is why some pictures work and some do not. As I said, the more recently taken pictures are the ones giving me a problem.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Hukk, Wullie, All,

You may have something there. I know I am out dated using a 3.5" floppy, but my old camera takes such good pictures I can`t bring myself to get rid of it! To answer your question yes, I have a dial up internet connection. I also store pictures in "my documents", and if I try to upload from there I have problems as well. Recently I cleaned my computer of all the old junk that usually slows things down, and it has had a good affect. It has helped matters but not cured everything.

I may need to get DSL and a new camera, but will that cure the constant "signin" problem ::shrug::

Thanks to everyone for your help and input ::tu::

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

AS far a curing the sign in issue? I've no idea.

AS for the camera that uses the floppy discs? KEEP IT!! Just transfer the pic from the floppy to your computer first. :wink:

Before you bust off and get into high speed internet, (unless you really want to), I'd check the modem in your computer. It may be having some issues. More than likely it is a "software modem" anyway. Wouldn't hurt to call your ISP and check if they are having any issues as well.

U.S. ROBOTICS used to make a hardware modem that would rock and roll as far as dial up went.

W
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

No problems see :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Wullie,

Thanks for the help. I will try the things you suggested. I really like that old camera, it takes better pics than some of the new ones I tried!

I don`t use the internet much, so I can`t see springing for the High Speed connection if dial up will work.

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
LRV

Post by LRV »

Wow.. A dialup user. Thats almost as rare these days as a mint 2OT. :lol:
Transferring from a floppy over a dialup should not be a problem. You may have a switch setting that causes the hangup specially when transferring from the floppy. Look for a hangup when done switch and turn it off.
Best of luck
Larry
“A knife in a man’s hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a woman’s neck” - Michael Mirando I.S.C.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have not been having problems................well, at least not with posting pics on AAPK. :shock: ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FOG

Post by FOG »

I couldn,t get the pics posted that i wanted to put in the custom knife thread by using the AAPK directions. But they went just fine when i used the img code from my photobucket.
peterforce

Post by peterforce »

no problems at all here.

fellaz getting the "file is invalid" message most of the times means its to large,even if thats not
what it says or its literally invalid meaning not listed as a file that AAPK will accept.

fellaz that get the invalid sign are you uploading jpeg files and are they the correct size?

i cleaned up this rope knife the littlest bit the other day and i love when a supirse like
an etch appears that would have remained hidden if i didnt start to clean her.

anybody seen this one "ECONOMY BOAT STORE"
Attachments
dsc-laptop-09-15-09 197.jpg
"BUY BOOKS.THEN LEARN.THEN BUY KNIVES."

http://www.akti.org/ great site!

CTP-Certified Trash Picker

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”