I'm Proud of AAPK

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I'm Proud of AAPK

Postby dlr110 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm

After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
unpublished book about how to start a knife collection, I now realize I should have been on and involved
with AAPK all along.

Actually I’m writing this entry to let everyone know I have recently been on a few other knife forums
(that will remain nameless) and the people on them were so high and mighty, and were just rude to
one another. I saw one entry where an established member was telling a new member that if he didn’t
know the site rules, then maybe he shouldn’t be there. Another was admonishing a member telling him
to do his own research before posting something on the site instead of just helping the member with his problem.

I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone
down just because they make a mistake or their information and knowledge doesn’t match yours. People at
AAPK recognize that there are people out there at many different levels in their knife collecting and their
personal knowledge. You good people teach, inform, share and make knife collecting something fun to do every day.

Even though I did almost a year of research before writing my book I’m still not a knife expert. I don’t know
how to make one, I can barely sharpen a knife blade with a stone, and my knowledge of knife history,
the brands and all that goes with collecting is poor to say the least. The important thing is I’m willing to learn
every day. At AAPK I have found a site and group of people that are willing to listen and to help me advance
my knowledge and experience with knife collecting without all the hateful attitudes and disgusting language
found at other so called knife forums.

Thank you AAPK and I’m proud to be a member. :D
David R.
YOUR TALENTS ARE GOD'S GIFT TO YOU, WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM, IS YOUR GIFT BACK TO GOD.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: I'm Proud of AAPK

Postby royal0014 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

A well stated and thoughtful post.

"We" here on AAPK can take pride in in our unofficial slogan. ..
'The friendliest knife site on the www .... '

I, too have visited the *other* knife site once or twice.
Didn't care for the general vibe of the place or the person's there.

To be fair, we have a couple of knuckle-heads here .....
But AAPK is my knife home for the foreseeable future !

::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:05 pm

David ,very well said. The people that are here can't be beat in my opinion. Best on the Web. ::nod:: There are so many unknowns in the knife world and our little forum is very open to exploring any conversation or direction that you wish to go. My kind of place. Glad you like it. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby dlr110 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm

royal0014 wrote:A well stated and thoughtful post.

"We" here on AAPK can take pride in in our unofficial slogan. ..
'The friendliest knife site on the www .... '

I, too have visited the *other* knife site once or twice.
Didn't care for the general vibe of the place or the person's there.

To be fair, we have a couple of knuckle-heads here .....
But AAPK is my knife home for the foreseeable future !

Thank you Chris, every family has a knuckle-head and that's okay so long as it's not the family norm.
David R.
YOUR TALENTS ARE GOD'S GIFT TO YOU, WHAT YOU DO WITH THEM, IS YOUR GIFT BACK TO GOD.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:41 pm

David I share your observations and agree with them. I also enjoy your post. Glad to have someone watching over things on that side of the Metroplex. ::tu::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
There is an exception to this however. If you go to the political forum and discuss Trump, Obama or certain other topics, depending on your 'position', the responses can be unnecessarily harsh. As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
kj

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby dlr110 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:35 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
There is an exception to this however. If you go to the political forum and discuss Trump, Obama or certain other topics, depending on your 'position', the responses can be unnecessarily harsh. As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.
kj

Thank you kj !! My daddy told me years ago 3 things you don't talk about publicly; your finances; your religion; and your politics. They are all personal and should remain so. I figured that was pretty true unless you were running for public office. I've read some of your posts and have enjoyed the information you have shared. As they say, "see you on campus."
David R.

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 pm

kootenay joe wrote:As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.

This is also true outside of AAPK, I've noticed. :lol: ::nod::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby dlr110 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Tsar Bomba wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:As long as you do not involve yourself in discussions of politics or religion, AAPK is a 100% safe & friendly place.

This is also true outside of AAPK, I've noticed. :lol: ::nod::

David R.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:56 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Hey David, thanks for your post which express my sentiments as well. I got here about 3 ? years ago after being banned from another very large knife forum for confronting a moderator about his bullying of new members. It was a huge relief to find that AAPK is not a site of anger & animosity. Instead it is 'live & let live' and be helpful whenever you can.
kj

Roland I think that warning applies to just about any venue that you may be in. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:19 pm

AAPK is soooo nice that someone could think that even the 'hot topics' like religion, politics, etc. are answered with the same politeness & respect.
I thought that when i first got here but this is a difference in the cultures, (USA-Canada).
kj

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Doc B » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:03 pm

dlr110 wrote:After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
unpublished book about how to start a knife collection, I now realize I should have been on and involved
with AAPK all along.

Actually I’m writing this entry to let everyone know I have recently been on a few other knife forums
(that will remain nameless) and the people on them were so high and mighty, and were just rude to
one another. I saw one entry where an established member was telling a new member that if he didn’t
know the site rules, then maybe he shouldn’t be there. Another was admonishing a member telling him
to do his own research before posting something on the site instead of just helping the member with his problem.

I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone
down just because they make a mistake or their information and knowledge doesn’t match yours. People at
AAPK recognize that there are people out there at many different levels in their knife collecting and their
personal knowledge. You good people teach, inform, share and make knife collecting something fun to do every day.

Even though I did almost a year of research before writing my book I’m still not a knife expert. I don’t know
how to make one, I can barely sharpen a knife blade with a stone, and my knowledge of knife history,
the brands and all that goes with collecting is poor to say the least. The important thing is I’m willing to learn
every day. At AAPK I have found a site and group of people that are willing to listen and to help me advance
my knowledge and experience with knife collecting without all the hateful attitudes and disgusting language

Well said. A rare site, where civility rules...for the most part! ::nod::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby carrmillus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:04 pm

dlr110 wrote:After about 10 years of collecting knives, starting a website, a Facebook page and even writing a small
with AAPK all along.

....well spoken!!!...... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Dinadan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 pm

dlr110 wrote:I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone

Great post, David! One of the things that I have always liked about AAPK is the way that members share their knowledge without condescension. I think that it is quite rare to find a place on the internet where folks with all levels of expertise interact with such courtesy. Malicious and disrespectful posts are pretty much non existent here, and I expect that is due to the example that Bryan and his moderators have set and enforced.
Mel

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby dlr110 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Dinadan wrote:
dlr110 wrote:I have found all of you at AAPK so far to be very helpful to one another, respectful and you don’t cut someone

Great post, David! One of the things that I have always liked about AAPK is the way that members share their knowledge without condescension. I think that it is quite rare to find a place on the internet where folks with all levels of expertise interact with such courtesy. Malicious and disrespectful posts are pretty much non existent here, and I expect that is due to the example that Bryan and his moderators have set and enforced.

Thanks Mel!!!
David R.

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”