Can the option to edit be extended?

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Can the option to edit be extended?

Post by Railsplitter »

Bryan (or whom it may concern),

Can the option to edit a member's own posts be extended or perhaps made permanent? The option expires after a certain amount of time and I find that inconvenient under some circumstances.

Sometimes a post or a thread needs to be edited by the author. For example, when a knife sells in a sales thread. Usually, by the time the sale is complete the option to add the word SOLD to the title is gone. Members have to open the thread to see that the last post says SOLD because that was the only way the author could mark it sold. If it said SOLD in the title members could just move on if they wanted to.

Can this be reviewed?

Thanks much.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Steve Warden

Re: Can the option to edit be extended?

Post by Steve Warden »

I'll second the motion.
There have been times I have wanted to go back and make an edit, only to find I was too late to do so.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I 3rd the motion! 8)
8)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:10 pm Bryan (or whom it may concern),

Can the option to edit a member's own posts be extended or perhaps made permanent? The option expires after a certain amount of time and I find that inconvenient under some circumstances.

Sometimes a post or a thread needs to be edited by the author. For example, when a knife sells in a sales thread. Usually, by the time the sale is complete the option to add the word SOLD to the title is gone. Members have to open the thread to see that the last post says SOLD because that was the only way the author could mark it sold. If it said SOLD in the title members could just move on if they wanted to.

Can this be reviewed?

Thanks much.
You said permanent? What would be the point of editing a post that is years or decades old? Seems like deleting it would be a better option, but then are you going to delete all the replies to the original post too? Sounds like opening a big can of worms for a trivial problem.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm

Can this be reviewed?

Thanks much.
You said permanent? What would be the point of editing a post that is years or decades old? Seems like deleting it would be a better option, but then are you going to delete all the replies to the original post too? Sounds like opening a big can of worms for a trivial problem.
Well, hmmm, let's see here. Maybe a post in the "AAPK Tips and Tricks" forum might need to be edited if Bryan implements software changes that require a change to the instructions in the original post.

You know, things like that.
Rick T.

ea42

Post by ea42 »

I agree with the OP, especially for something like the sales thread. If you have an item up that doesn't appear to be selling you have to put a price change in a new post rather than just being permitted to change it in the original. Most folks don't bother looking any further than the original post for price info.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If any of you folks want to add "Sold" to a sales thread you've created, just send me a PM with a link to the thread and I'll be glad to do that for you.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm You said permanent? What would be the point of editing a post that is years or decades old? Seems like deleting it would be a better option, but then are you going to delete all the replies to the original post too? Sounds like opening a big can of worms for a trivial problem.
I'm sure it would only be a rare instance where a post that is months, years old would be edited.
As for deleting it, as I have been a moderator of past forums, yes, there may be a need to delete such old posts. That doesn't mean all replies to said deleted post are deleted. Should that be necessary, the moderator simply deletes the entire thread, original posts and all replies; one click - done.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

ea42 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:40 pm I agree with the OP, especially for something like the sales thread. If you have an item up that doesn't appear to be selling you have to put a price change in a new post rather than just being permitted to change it in the original.
::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I third the motion, and pass.
:mrgreen:

Yesir, it would be helpful (especially for us guys that sell lot's), to have a longer window to edit the posts. Many times, I may want to change something small, but run out of time to do so. And I don't want to hassle the the boys with pm's, would make there jobs even more difficult as it tis.
Maybe open the option up to premium members?
::shrug::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't think unlimited time is a good thing. If someone posted their opinion and then didn't like the direction the thread was going could edit their original post. Thereby changing the whole meaning of the thread.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 am I third the motion, and pass.

Yesir, it would be helpful (especially for us guys that sell lot's), to have a longer window to edit the posts. Many times, I may want to change something small, but run out of time to do so. And I don't want to hassle the the boys with pm's, would make there jobs even more difficult as it tis.
I already 3rd-ed the motion Willy, so you'll 4th it! ::tu:: Also, who decides which members are "premium"? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 am

I already 3rd-ed the motion Willy, so you'll 4th it! ::tu:: Also, who decides which members are "premium"? ::shrug:: 8)
It is decided by who pays to be a supporting member.
David
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

edge213 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:50 am

Yes, my bad. I meant "supporting members".
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 am Also, who decides which members are "premium"? ::shrug:: 8)
Click on “Support AAPK through a premium subscription” on the upper right of this page. If you want any of those privileges outlined by the different support levels, or just want to pitch in to help cover some of the costs of keeping this place going, you can buy a “premium membership”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

In its current state, the software is not very flexible in regards to post editing capabilities. Without major modifications, I can only extend the allowed edit time for all forums, but I cannot target specific forums (which would be great for those that are commerce related IMO).

In the past, we have had issues where members have blanked out their old posts that were integral to certain threads. The missing content rendered them incomplete & confusing. That is essentially the reason for the time limit we currently have which is 2 days, I believe.

I will look into this further to see just how extensive a modification might be to allow for unlimited edits for certain forums where it would make sense, but I cannot guarantee I'll be able to make it happen soon or at all, unfortunately :|
Bryan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Bryan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:44 pm In its current state, the software is not very flexible in regards to post editing capabilities. Without major modifications, I can only extend the allowed edit time for all forums, but I cannot target specific forums (which would be great for those that are commerce related IMO).

In the past, we have had issues where members have blanked out their old posts that were integral to certain threads. The missing content rendered them incomplete & confusing. That is essentially the reason for the time limit we currently have which is 2 days, I believe.

I will look into this further to see just how extensive a modification might be to allow for unlimited edits for certain forums where it would make sense, but I cannot guarantee I'll be able to make it happen soon or at all, unfortunately :|
Thank you, Bryan. ::handshake::
Rick T.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:42 am
Well, I'll forgive you THIS time Willy, ::handshake:: but don't you EVER let it happen again!!! lol! ::rotflol:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:49 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 am Also, who decides which members are "premium"? ::shrug:: 8)
Click on “Support AAPK through a premium subscription” on the upper right of this page. If you want any of those privileges outlined by the different support levels, or just want to pitch in to help cover some of the costs of keeping this place going, you can buy a “premium membership”.

Ken
Thanks for that info Ken! ::handshake:: I'm actually just waiting for some money to arrive so I can buy a membership. 8)
8)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm Thanks for that info Ken! ::handshake:: I'm actually just waiting for some money to arrive so I can buy a membership. 8)
Mark, please check your PM inbox.
Rick T.

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:42 am

Well, I'll forgive you THIS time Willy, ::handshake:: but don't you EVER let it happen again!!! lol! ::rotflol:: 8)
Winston Churchill

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm Thanks for that info Ken! ::handshake:: I'm actually just waiting for some money to arrive so I can buy a membership. 8)
Mark, please check your PM inbox.
Read and replied Rick! Thank you so much! Mark! 8)
8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Bryan, I think you'll find we are allowed 48 hours to edit our post and 24 hours OR until someone posts after our post to delete a post.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Railsplitter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Can this be reviewed?

Thanks much.
Well, hmmm, let's see here. Maybe a post in the "AAPK Tips and Tricks" forum might need to be edited if Bryan implements software changes that require a change to the instructions in the original post.

What I had in mind was what Bryan referenced in his answer above. There are many threads on AAPK that are YEARS old and are still in daily use. If someone could go back months or years and edit or delete posts, it would make the posts after it confusing or completely irreverent. I understand what the original intention of this request was, to edit when you have sold a knife so viewers do not have to read all posts or go to the end to see that the knife has been sold. But like one of the Administrators has stated, if you contact him he will add the word SOLD to the sales thread so readers will know this has been updated. WHY make a bunch of extra work for Bryan for a trivial item when there are other ways to do it?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:49 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:40 pm

What I had in mind was what Bryan referenced in his answer above. There are many threads on AAPK that are YEARS old and are still in daily use. If someone could go back months or years and edit or delete posts, it would make the posts after it confusing or completely irreverent. I understand what the original intention of this request was, to edit when you have sold a knife so viewers do not have to read all posts or go to the end to see that the knife has been sold. But like one of the Administrators has stated, if you contact him he will add the word SOLD to the sales thread so readers will know this has been updated. WHY make a bunch of extra work for Bryan for a trivial item when there are other ways to do it?

::tu:: ::tu::
David

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”