A Rough Ryder forum is needed

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
bigshot

A Rough Ryder forum is needed

Post by bigshot »

Rough Ryders account for a great deal of the traditional pocket knife market, and YouTube is full of great videos discussing the various models. Why do they get rolled into the regional category here? If they need to stay within the regional category, at least some sub categories could be created with the brands that are commonly discussed. Right now the Germany / China / Japan forums are all mixed up. It is difficult to find threads on particular brands and patterns. It would be good if the organization had some help with subcategories. Also, where do Sheffield knives go? Shouldn't there be a UK international forum too?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Rough Ryder forum is needed

Post by jerryd6818 »

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

You are a good man Jerryd, lighten the feller's load, he's already been on it! ::facepalm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I agree with bigshot. It's rumored that the factory producing most of the Rough Ryder line is among the highest volume knife manufacturers and the amount of discussion of them warrants their own sub-forum. One thread titled Rough Ryders is not a substitute. However, Victoronix claims to be the factory with the largest volume out put and is lumped in with little known European makers in various countries. Victorinox also deserves their own sub-forum or at least there should be a sub-forum for muli-tools including SAKs and camp/utility knives that are bought for their tools, not their blades.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:24 amWill this one do? ---► https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 79&t=45594
That is a thread, not a forum. A forum would allow threads on specific patterns or styles and discussion of things of interest to RR collectors. There's a long list of forums broken down by brand in the Brand Specific category. Rough Ryder really should be in there.

I agree about Vittorinox too. It's odd that two of the biggest brands aren't represented.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So you're not satisfied with the "Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives" forum?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

There are a lot of Rough Ryder patterns and styles to talk about. But when they're mixed in with all the other brands, it's hard to sort out the Rough Ryder posts. And having every Rough Ryder model in one thread is like searching through a haystack for the needle you want to talk about. It isn't efficient to have individual forums for a whole bunch of knife brands and then lump all the Chinese brands into one forum. It especially doesn't make sense when a lot of the brands that have their own forums are made in China now.

Rough Ryder probably accounts for more sales than any of the other brands that have their own forum. Why not add a forum for them? Is there a reason?

Regional is fine as long as it covers every possibility... But I just bought a Svord peasant knife. It's made in New Zealand. There is nowhere to discuss that. I bought a Boker Tree Brand barlow made in Germany. Do I discuss that under European knives or in the Boker forum? The breakdown of forums just isn't well thought out.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

bigshot wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:15 pm There are a lot of Rough Ryder patterns and styles to talk about. But when they're mixed in with all the other brands, it's hard to sort out the Rough Ryder posts. And having every Rough Ryder model in one thread is like searching through a haystack for the needle you want to talk about. It isn't efficient to have individual forums for a whole bunch of knife brands and then lump all the Chinese brands into one forum. It especially doesn't make sense when a lot of the brands that have their own forums are made in China now.

Rough Ryder probably accounts for more sales than any of the other brands that have their own forum. Why not add a forum for them? Is there a reason?

Regional is fine as long as it covers every possibility... But I just bought a Svord peasant knife. It's made in New Zealand. There is nowhere to discuss that. I bought a Boker Tree Brand barlow made in Germany. Do I discuss that under European knives or in the Boker forum? The breakdown of forums just isn't well thought out.
AAPK is a very well thought out forum and to say otherwise is just ridiculous.
I also find it quite offensive for you to say so. I'm sure other long time members would agree.
Maybe you should be here awhile before you start making stupid comments.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bigshot wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:47 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:24 amWill this one do? ---► https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 79&t=45594
That is a thread, not a forum. A forum would allow threads on specific patterns or styles and discussion of things of interest to RR collectors. There's a long list of forums broken down by brand in the Brand Specific category. Rough Ryder really should be in there.

I agree about Vittorinox too. It's odd that two of the biggest brands aren't represented.
Bigshot! That thread has 43 pages dedicated to just Rough Rider knives, how much more server space do they deserve than that? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

bigshot wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:15 pm [...] But I just bought a Svord peasant knife. It's made in New Zealand. There is nowhere to discuss that. I bought a Boker Tree Brand barlow made in Germany. Do I discuss that under European knives or in the Boker forum? [...]
Boker started as a German made brand so a German Boker belongs in the Boker sub-forum. The Chinese Boker Magnum line belongs in the Chinese regional forum. I think a couple of examples that make the point you were trying to make more clear are where do 1990s German made Marble's and 1990s German made C. Platts and Sons traditional pocket knives go? Both were made while Parker owned the Case and Marble's brands. C. Platts and Sons is a Case family brand that has more recently been made by Case themselves. No doubt someone around here knows which factories made those brands for Parker but since I do not know I suppose they go in the European regional sub-forum or general knife discussion sub-forum? :?

Since I still have a couple of Rigid knives that I bought in the 1970s and knives made by the original company sell for a pretty penny I have an interest in the brand. Back in the day new Rigid knives were about double the price of black plastic handled Buck knives. Later owners of the Rigid brand had knives made in Italy, Japan, in the U.S. by Canal Street and who knows where else? Where do any of them fit in here? :?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Here's a suggestion. If you feel that strongly about the need for a standalone Rough Ryder "forum", lobby Bryon for one. He's the chief cook and bottle washer around here and since he's the one who would have to create it, send a PM and take your case directly to the top.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

I like the idea of a RR forum. RR knives are fun to collect and a great way to try out a pattern.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Oh heck, let's get out our Goins and we'll make a sub-forum for everyone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
eveled

Post by eveled »

You can bring it up to Bryan but I doubt he’d go for that many sub forums.

OP start a thread about the specific RR pattern you are interested in and others will be glad to share their pictures.

There can be a thread for each model you don’t have to stay in the all encompassing official RR thread.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:54 pm Here's a suggestion. If you feel that strongly about the need for a standalone Rough Ryder "forum", lobby Bryon for one. He's the chief cook and bottle washer around here and since he's the one who would have to create it, send a PM and take your case directly to the top.
That's exactly what I'm doing right here in the suggestions forum. Hellllooo Bryon! Can we please add one more brand to the brand forums?

If it isn't possible to create a new forum for some reason, I can use keywords in titles and spawn new threads in the China forum to cover specific patterns or styles of Rough Ryders, rather than having them all grouped into one unorganized thread.

This forum software probably has a feature for keywords that is turned off. That would help too.

@Modern Slip Joints Do you mean Ridgid? That was a tool company. They had great pinup calendars! Another oddball would be Imperials from Ireland.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

bigshot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:50 am
If it isn't possible to create a new forum for some reason, I can use keywords in titles and spawn new threads in the China forum to cover specific patterns or styles of Rough Ryders, rather than having them all grouped into one unorganized thread.
Bigshot, I think you are making it sound harder than it is. Since the Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives forum was created in 2006 there have been 247 topics created. That is not exactly an overwhelming number of topics to sort through. In this year (2021) about 43 topics have had one or more posts. Not 43 new topics, but 43 topics, old and new, have garnered a post.
Mel
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

There aren't many topics because all of the Rough Ryder posts are gathered together in a couple of threads. Glancing at the "New in the mail" thread in General, I see a lot of Rough Ryders. People may just post them there instead of the Chinese forum. I can understand why they would do that. The word Chinese seems to bring out the curmudgeons who want to talk politics instead of knives. If the admins don't want to add a Rough Ryder forum, I'll just spawn some new thread so the topic can be a little more specific. Maybe that will help focus the discussion and make it easier to search for specific patterns and models.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Members post in " It's in the mail " because it is what it say's. Knives that members have on the way in the mail, fairly self explanatory, does not matter what brand or their country of manufacture.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

He was saying there wasn't much interest in Rough Ryders. I was pointing out that in the general forum, Rough Ryders are numerous. There clearly is a lot of interest in them, more than many of the other brands that have their own forum. The reason that there aren't more threads about them in the China group is because of the negative attention the topic of the group attracts from the xenophobic members of the forum. The China forum has a target painted on its back.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

bigshot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:48 pm He was saying there wasn't much interest in Rough Ryders. I was pointing out that in the general forum, Rough Ryders are numerous. There clearly is a lot of interest in them, more than many of the other brands that have their own forum. The reason that there aren't more threads about them in the China group is because of the negative attention the topic of the group attracts from the xenophobic members of the forum. The China forum has a target painted on its back.
So if we separate the Rough Rider forum from the Chinese Manufactured forum, then the xenophobic members will post there? That should be lovely! Can't wait to read those posts!

I am neutral about the idea of a RR forum. Because they are affordable, there is more interest in RR that one might expect on a forum like AAPK.

But, Bigshot, I do think that you might want to just hang around and observe and participate for a bit longer than a month before you start telling everyone what is wrong with this forum.
Mel
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

It looks like the administrator might have to close another thread.
Xenophonic (having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.
"xenophobic attitudes" )
Maybe they just don't like the type of Governments some countries have, not the people.
I have some Rough Rider knives or are they Rough Ryder.
All purchased from
USA sellers.
At the moment I try not to buy China made items because the way China treats my country.
Who am I hurting by not buying from China ?
The China Government or the people ?
I have been a member of this site for many years (and a Supporting Member )I only post now and again and only have nice comments to make about other members.If another member makes a comment I am not happy with I am man enough to let it go.
This is a great site.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

I think that sorting all the Chinese knives into one forum labeled “China Knives” encourages posts on politics. Conversation should be focused on the knives, not the country that they came from. A forum called Rough Ryders would help do that.

This is a knife forum. Politics is off topic. I came here to talk about the Rough Ryder knives that I’m enthusiastic about, and the conversation keeps getting derailed into politics. I’m not the one doing that. It’s happening over and over. If people don’t want to buy Rough Ryders, fine. Just don’t crap all over the posts of people who do.

Clearly there is a problem here if I can’t talk about knives without being labeled a communist sympathizer. I’m trying to avoid replying to the political points and just talk about knives, but it’s being made difficult for me. This isn’t a problem on YouTube or Facebook. There’s a lot of interesting discussions there. Why can’t this forum be the same?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Shearer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:13 pm It looks like the administrator might have to close another thread.
Xenophonic (having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.
"xenophobic attitudes" )
Maybe they just don't like the type of Governments some countries have, not the people.
I have some Rough Rider knives or are they Rough Ryder.
All purchased from
USA sellers.
At the moment I try not to buy China made items because the way China treats my country.
Who am I hurting by not buying from China ?
The China Government or the people ?
I have been a member of this site for many years (and a Supporting Member )I only post now and again and only have nice comments to make about other members.If another member makes a comment I am not happy with I am man enough to let it go.
This is a great site.

Grant
Grant, a bit off topic, but good to see you posting, and i hope you are not getting affected by all the flooding in NSW. If you are in any of those areas take care mate. ::tu:: :)
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Grant, a bit off topic, but good to see you posting, and i hope you are not getting affected by all the flooding in NSW. If you are in any of those areas take care mate. ::tu:: :)
[/quote]
Off Topic:
Cudgee what I was going on about is in a another topic about China made knives was closed due to members who don't agree with other members start called them names or indirectly apply they don't know what they are talking about.( It was starting to happen on this topic )
Why I like this site is the moderators are very good at stopping members getting out of hand.

On Topic: If we had a Rough Ryder or Rough Rider forum as I see knives under both names( or spelling ) which name does the forum go under.Will they change their name again.I have had no trouble finding information on these knives under Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Shearer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:41 pm Grant, a bit off topic, but good to see you posting, and i hope you are not getting affected by all the flooding in NSW. If you are in any of those areas take care mate. ::tu:: :)
Off Topic:
Cudgee what I was going on about is in a another topic about China made knives was closed due to members who don't agree with other members start called them names or indirectly apply they don't know what they are talking about.( It was starting to happen on this topic )
Why I like this site is the moderators are very good at stopping members getting out of hand.

On Topic: If we had a Rough Ryder or Rough Rider forum as I see knives under both names( or spelling ) which name does the forum go under.Will they change their name again.I have had no trouble finding information on these knives under Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives

Grant
[/quote]
No mate, i'm sorry, i did not mean you were off topic, i meant me, asking about the floods, sorry mate, my fault. ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::tu::

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”