A replica of a replica

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A replica of a replica

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My first real knife when I was 7 or so was a Kamp King. But before that I had another replica knife, an Auburn Rubber Knife. My younger brother and I carried and "used" this on all our early adventures. I always thought it would be neat to have a folder just like an Auburn Rubber Knife, only real. Since the Auburn knife is a replica of a real knife, and I am making a replica of that, I am making a replica of a replica. Blade and spring are 1095 high carbon. Liners are .032" brass, 1/8" NS bolsters, and pins are 3/32" nickel silver. Handle material is jigged rosewood, although I later regretted that. I made the biggest clip blade that would fold into the handle, with the pull cut with a Dremel tool. The problem with the rosewood handle material is that I wanted a carved longhorn skull on it. I tried carving the rosewood using carving tools, but found it to be much too hard and had to do it with a Dremel tool. What I ended up with is somewhat of a zombie longhorn. I would describe the pattern as a 5 inch single blade folding hunter. This is my second "make all the parts" knife, click on the link to see the first.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62682&hilit=winterbottom+moose
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A replica of a replica

Post by doglegg »

OC, that is awesome
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:05 pm My first real knife when I was 7 or so was a Kamp King. But before that I had another replica knife, an Auburn Rubber Knife. My younger brother and I carried and "used" this on all our early adventures. I always thought it would be neat to have a folder just like an Auburn Rubber Knife, only real. Since the Auburn knife is a replica of a real knife, and I am making a replica of that, I am making a replica of a replica. Blade and spring are 1095 high carbon. Liners are .032" brass, 1/8" NS bolsters, and pins are 3/32" nickel silver. Handle material is jigged rosewood, although I later regretted that. I made the biggest clip blade that would fold into the handle, with the pull cut with a Dremel tool. The problem with the rosewood handle material is that I wanted a carved longhorn skull on it. I tried carving the rosewood using carving tools, but found it to be much too hard and had to do it with a Dremel tool. What I ended up with is somewhat of a zombie longhorn. I would describe the pattern as a 5 inch single blade folding hunter. This is my second "make all the parts" knife, click on the link to see the first.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62682&hilit=winterbottom+moose

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG

I dig it!
I would be pretty proud of myself if I could make a knife this nice.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Oh man, I had one of those rubber knives when I was a kid and found another maybe 30 years ago which I still have. I can't believe you made a real one! WAY cool!!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That is super nice!!!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I bought a couple Auburn Rubber Co. trucks a few years ago, and have been meaning to get the Cokebottle for a few years.

Your attempt at making a real knife out of it looks great! The shield you did freehand looks pretty good. You'd probably need a laser or something to do better.

I'm wondering if there's a pin or something for the Longhorn skull shield. The closest I've been able to find is a small shield Schrade used on a special run, but that's it. I have a Cokebottle with a fish scaler from Colonial, and I have chosen that shield for when it gets rehandled.

My first knife was a big Play-Doh Swiss Army Knife, and my first decent knife was a Fieldmaster.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:05 pm I always thought it would be neat to have a folder just like an Auburn Rubber
What a great job on that knife.
That can't be easy to do. It certainly must take your full attention.
Congrats!
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Very nice! ::clapping::
Went back and looked at the "Winterbottom Moose" you made a few years ago. You still have talent! ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

You have quite a fine accomishment there!!

Very nicely made indeed.

I had not seen the Auburn knife before, either, so thank you for showing me that as well!
Andy
South Central Tennessee
Retired from Caterpillar Inc.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool, OC. 😎👍 I bet that Auburn rubber knife is rare, first one I have seen. ::nod::👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW... that is just SO VERY COOL!!
Great job!!

:shock: ::tu:: :shock:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very good job!

Bob
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

mqqn wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:57 am You have quite a fine accomishment there!!

Very nicely made indeed.

I had not seen the Auburn knife before, either, so thank you for showing me that as well!
I love your Luca Brasi avatar. My favorite line from the Godfather:
Sonny: What does that mean?
Clemenza: It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

Thank you, @OLDE CUTLER
Andy
South Central Tennessee
Retired from Caterpillar Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I wish I had that sort of skill. Well done! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Custom Knives”