G.W. Stone

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: G.W. Stone

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Knights Equinox wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:13 pm @Mumbleypeg, Here is a slipjoint Stone folder I picked up today from an Estate Auction. Sort of curious about the tang stamp. It is clearly STONE, but the positioning of it has me confused. Most of his folders I have observed have it running with the blade. Not for sure on the Scale material, perhaps a smooth bone or Ivory? Open length is 6-5/8", with a 2-7/8" clip blade. Your thoughts?? ::shrug::
Nice find, looks like it’s had some use but Stone’s blades are the closest to indestructible I know of. He was justifiably proud of them. I wouldn’t put much concern into the positioning of the stamp. The knife has the characteristics of a G.W. Stone knife, and his fixed blades were typically stamped like that.

What is the closed length? (Folding knives are typically measured and described on closed length. Blade length varies slightly from knife to knife in the same pattern, and especially so on used knives since metal lost from sharpening changes the blade length, and hence the overall length).

I’m not sure about the handle material. Perhaps horn, or walrus tusk? ::hmm:: Someone else here may recognize it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Knights Equinox

Post by Knights Equinox »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 am
Knights Equinox wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:13 pm @Mumbleypeg, Here is a slipjoint Stone folder I picked up today from an Estate Auction. Sort of curious about the tang stamp. It is clearly STONE, but the positioning of it has me confused. Most of his folders I have observed have it running with the blade. Not for sure on the Scale material, perhaps a smooth bone or Ivory? Open length is 6-5/8", with a 2-7/8" clip blade. Your thoughts?? ::shrug::
Nice find, looks like it’s had some use but Stone’s blades are the closest to indestructible I know of. He was justifiably proud of them. I wouldn’t put much concern into the positioning of the stamp. The knife has the characteristics of a G.W. Stone knife, and his fixed blades were typically stamped like that.

What is the closed length? (Folding knives are typically measured and described on closed length. Blade length varies slightly from knife to knife in the same pattern, and especially so on used knives since metal lost from sharpening changes the blade length, and hence the overall length).

I’m not sure about the handle material. Perhaps horn, or walrus tusk? ::hmm:: Someone else here may recognize it.

Ken
Thanks Mubleypeg, closed length on this one comes in at 3-3/4". As for wear the blade looks to be as Mr. Stone sent it out of his shop, no sharpening marks at all, there is some pocket wear on the outer portion of the knife. Good guess on the scales, it could be either one but I don't think it is bone. The scales have way to much yellowing in and on them for bone.
“Life is more than love and pleasure,
I came to dig for treasure.
If you want to play, you gotta pay,
You know it’s always been that way
We all came digging for treasure.”
― Stephen King
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This one came to live with me. It has definitely been carried some - even without a loupe you can see scratches in the covers and bolsters. The blade is full though and may never have been sharpened until I touched it up today. Been wanting a used Stone folder to carry, and it’s in my pocket. Can’t decide what the handle covers are made of, still thinking probably walrus. ::shrug::
Any body got an idea, confirm or otherwise?

Ken
Attachments
33EB868B-9872-4AEC-8C4D-83F494F92575.jpeg
017C1469-CD29-47F2-AE0F-3ABD83808018.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Beautiful and beautiful. What a gorgeous knife!!! :shock: :shock:
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thank you Floyd.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mr. Stone's work is, in a word, wonderful. Impressive as all get out.
Knights Equinox

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 am This one came to live with me. It has definitely been carried some - even without a loupe you can see scratches in the covers and bolsters. The blade is full though and may never have been sharpened until I touched it up today. Been wanting a used Stone folder to carry, and it’s in my pocket. Can’t decide what the handle covers are made of, still thinking probably walrus. ::shrug::
Any body got an idea, confirm or otherwise?

Ken
Glad it made it ok. I knew you would like it Ken! Hopefully one day we can figure out the Scale material, I am almost positive it is not bone. That blade was immaculate indeed, never even been close to a whet stone. Keep your eyes peeled I have some more Stone's in my sights!!!
― Stephen King
Knights Equinox

This is my latest G.W. Stone Knife acquisition. Looks to be one of his Fighting / Tactical Models.
Attachments
DSC04610 (2).JPG
DSC04611 (2).JPG
― Stephen King
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

As gorgeous as a Randall! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Gorgeous indeed! Nice acquisition. ::tu:: ::tu::

G.W. often credited Bo Randall as being a big influence, and that could be readily seen especially in his earlier work. He began innovating with models like the Magnum and High Country but continued to produce many designs having an unmistakable Randall influence.

I sometimes wonder what he thought about his knives being “collectibles”. That phenomena started well before he passed away.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Knights Equinox

Any info on the model or type of knife? I'm putting it on ebay so need to do a good description. Thanks in advance.
― Stephen King
Knights Equinox

That Hooked guard is what made me say some sort of tactical or fighting knife. It even has a Scale shield for personalization.
!
― Stephen King
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It looks similar to his Model A “Fighting Knife” but the guard on yours is different than what is shown in the catalog I have. The Model A as shown in Stone catalog I have a copy of has an 8 inch blade length but could also be ordered with 7, 6 or 5 inch blade. Note the letter “A” stamped on the ricasso on the knife. Just a semi-educated guess but it might possibly be an early Stone knife for which he made the guard “to order” for a customer. He made many knives for servicemen during the Vietnam War. Again, that’s just a guess.

Ken
Attachments
8898DD3B-ABB0-4DD8-957C-ED45FF2590BD.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Knights Equinox

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:33 pm It looks similar to his Model A “Fighting Knife” but the guard on yours is different than what is shown in the catalog I have. The Model A as shown in Stone catalog I have a copy of has an 8 inch blade length but could also be ordered with 7, 6 or 5 inch blade. Note the letter “A” stamped on the ricasso on the knife. Just a semi-educated guess but it might possibly be an early Stone knife for which he made the guard “to order” for a customer. He made many knives for servicemen during the Vietnam War. Again, that’s just a guess.

Ken
This one is 13-1/8" OA length with a 8-1/8" blade.
― Stephen King
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Knights Equinox wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:20 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:33 pm It looks similar to his Model A “Fighting Knife” but the guard on yours is different than what is shown in the catalog I have. The Model A as shown in Stone catalog I have a copy of has an 8 inch blade length but could also be ordered with 7, 6 or 5 inch blade. Note the letter “A” stamped on the ricasso on the knife. Just a semi-educated guess but it might possibly be an early Stone knife for which he made the guard “to order” for a customer. He made many knives for servicemen during the Vietnam War. Again, that’s just a guess.

Ken
Pretty sure it’s a Model A with an 8 inch blade then. None of the catalogs I’ve seen list the OAL.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Knights Equinox

I did find out this knife is one of a kind special order from Stone. I was told the special fittings on the knife were a significant upcharge! The sheath is not original to the knife but appears to also be a custom made sheath for the knife. You can carry it many ways and the knife will remain in the sheath until your ready to deploy it.
― Stephen King
Knights Equinox

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 pm
Knights Equinox wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:20 pm

Ken
Pretty sure it’s a Model A with an 8 inch blade then. None of the catalogs I’ve seen list the OAL.

KEN
They did tell me it was a Model A with some custom fittings.
― Stephen King
Old_TX_Hunter

Post by Old_TX_Hunter »

Hello
I have a collection of GW Stone knives that I wanted to see if anyone might be interested in purchasing before I send off for consignment.
I'll post some pictures here (as many as I can in one post).
If you see something you like, shoot me an offer. If you want to see additional detailed pictures, let me know here and I'll post.
My dad (is) was an avid hunter, gun and knife enthusiast however he is now in the later stages of Alzheimer's and we are selling off his collections to offset the high cost of memory care.
I'm local in Frisco TX so I can meet with buyer if needed.

- High Country Stamped #52 comes with Diana sheath - blade and handle in very good condition appears to have been sharpened. verdigris
- Stag Skinner Blade 4 3/8" Stamped: ST 104 S Original Sheath - blade and handle in excellent condition - never used or sharpened.verdigris
- Lockback Pocket Knife Blade 3 3/4" Stamped 159 blade is in very good condition - never used or sharpened. Brass on handle is tarnished. Sheath is well worn and used. verdigris
- Skinner ST Stamped: ST 130 Original Sheath - blade is in very good condition - possibly sharpened. Brass on handle is tarnished. Sheath is worn and used. verdigris
- Mag Blade 6" Stamped #: 64 Original Sheath - blade condition is Fair - some pitting but never sharpened.verdigris
- Model C Skinner Stamped #C 120 S with Original Sheath stamped C 6 - blade in very good condition - never used or sharpened. brass on handle tarnished.verdigris
- Lockback Pocket Knife Stamped #: 54 with Original Sheath - blade in fair condition. Appears to have been sharpened. Sheath in good shape.verdigris
- Integral - Stag Stamped 91 Original Sheath - Blade and Handle in Excellent/Near Mint condition. Sheath has some wear showing.
- Lockback Pocket Knife 2 1/2" only stamped with STONE - no sheath. blade has some scratches but does not appear to ever been sharpened.

Most of the knives and sheaths have evidence of verdigris.
Integral
Integral
Stag Skinner
Stag Skinner
Mag #64
Mag #64
High Country 52
High Country 52
Lockback Pocket 57
Lockback Pocket 57
Attachments
Stag Skinner 120
Stag Skinner 120
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 10, 2015 3:02 am I've searched through AAPK forums including custom and fixed blade sections, and curious that there seems to be no reference to G.W. Stone, which is a shame IMHO….

Ken
A friend of mine was gifted a G.W. Stone skinner from a long time friend right before he passed away this week. We were able to google it and find this thread(AAPK is full of great info) and decided to post some pics. It has a great feel in hand and lots of smaller details you don’t pick up on right away like a light taper from the large 1 piece bolster to the tip of the tang, and the scales are matched perfectly to fit the swell of the palm. It has had use and carry, and will be a treasured memento to my friend who received it.
Attachments
IMG_7645.jpeg
IMG_7646.jpeg
IMG_7647.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A beautiful piece of history from a founding member of the Knifemaker’s Guild. As you’ve already seen G.W. paid great attention to details like balance and “feel”. I’ve always been interested in how the rivets fit the contours of his stag scales, without damaging the stag. The steel is likely 440C, which he used a lot. His proprietary tempering technique apparently went with him when he passed.

Congratulations on a fine piece of cutlery. I’m sure you’ll enjoy owning it whether you choose to use it or put it in your collection.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:34 pm I’ve always been interested in how the rivets fit the contours of his stag scales, without damaging the stag. The steel is likely 440C, which he used a lot.

Congratulations on a fine piece of cutlery. I’m sure you’ll enjoy owning it whether you choose to use it or put it in your collection.

Ken
The contour of the stag caught our eye quick, he must of had to go through a lot of pieces to find complimentary pieces. We were curious of the steel type too, so thanks for the info.

Return to “Custom Knives”