G.W. Stone

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

G.W. Stone

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I've searched through AAPK forums including custom and fixed blade sections, and curious that there seems to be no reference to G.W. Stone, which is a shame IMHO. G.W. "George" Stone (now deceased) was a custom knife maker and founding member of the Knifemakers Guild. When I was a young man living in my hometown of Richardson, TX, he had a small knife making business and sales operation. My place of work at the time was about a mile from there and occasionally some of us would go by on our lunch break and chat with George. He knew more about steel than anyone I've ever met and was quite a salesman. He would take one of his knives, beat the edge on something, then hold up a piece of paper and cut it to ribbons. At the time I couldn't afford his knives but they are beautiful, ruggedly made and of exemplary quality. You can still occasionally find one of his knives for sale and there are some who collect his work. As you would expect most of his work is fixed blades but he made a few slip joints. Here's some examples (the slip joint is mine, the other pictures are from the web). If anyone has any of his work, or information about the man please share it.

Ken
Attachments
G.W. Stone custom stag slip-joint, mark side
G.W. Stone custom stag slip-joint, mark side
G.W. Stone custom stag slip-joint, pile side
G.W. Stone custom stag slip-joint, pile side
G.W. Stone custom stag fixed blade
G.W. Stone custom stag fixed blade
image.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
G.w. Stone custom stag fixed blade
G.w. Stone custom stag fixed blade
image.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
G.w. Stone custom fixed blade
G.w. Stone custom fixed blade
image.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
PCwizard

Re: G.W. Stone

Post by PCwizard »

His work looks top quality, adding his name to my list. ::tu::
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Years ago I had a Guns and Ammo Custom Knives book that I wore out reading. So when someone on Ebay was selling his late dad's knife collection, and offered a mint Stone hunter for $90, I jumped on it. It was too nice for a user; I ended up selling it on consignment for about 3 times what I paid. Top notch craftsmanship.
CharlieR

Post by CharlieR »

I knew GW quite well. That was a wonderful time for custom makers and there were many starting up at that time. another maker that lived in the same area at that time was Jery Hunt, who made almost exclusively folders. I still own a Stone knife and one from Jerry Hunt. Both excellent craftsmen.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the feed back. CharlieR, I would love to see some pictures of those if you have time to post them here. Tallguy I'm assuming you don't have any pictures but if you do I'd like to see them too.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice group of Stones Ken. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but his work is quite recognizable to me and many other knife people from this part of the country. I've never seen a folder of his until now. The folders must be quite rare. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

i picked up a bear bowie [?] which i had ordered at his shop about 1999 . if i recall correctly he did many knives in 440c with a special heattreat & his vocation was a metallurgist. HiPower
HiPower
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A recent find - another superlative knife by G.W. Stone. Micarta handle, perfect balance, sharp enough to scare the fuzz off a peach! ::nod::

Ken
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Absolutely beautiful workmanship!

I do believe that gentleman "felt" his blade forms. They are so organic looking that they almost look like flowing water.

The folder in the first image even has a bad to the bone look about it. Like that guy that you KNOW is serious no matter what the expression is.

I'm glad you posted these knives, and their maker.
They just gave me another way of looking at blade designs. There is a feeling about them... :)
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Ken, You have some fine examples of Texas knife making history. I'm thinking Mr. Stone was one of the early Knife Guild members.

This mite interest you, from the Gun Digest book of Knives 1972 or 73.
Attachments
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_6438.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

americanedgetech wrote:Absolutely beautiful workmanship!

Like that guy that you KNOW is serious no matter what the expression is.

I'm glad you posted these knives, and their maker.
:)
:wink:

:lol:
Attachments
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG (34.04 KiB) Viewed 10180 times
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for posting that Bob. ::tu:: I had not seen that before but I can testify first hand to its accuracy. I've personally seen him take a knife from the showcase in his shop, hack that steel pole with it, and then hold up a piece of newsprint and cut it into ribbons. Then he'd hand you the knife to look at, and you couldn't see a mark on it. I started to tell about it here before but figured nobody would believe it! :lol: He was indeed a showman, and a cantankerous character to boot.

Wish I had been able to buy some of his knives back then, but at the time $100 might as well have been $1 million. :lol: I'll have to look for a copy of that article.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thought you would like it, this is the book, the copyright date is in roman and I think its 1973.

I worked in Texas off and on in the late 70's to mid 80's and remember seeing his knives, like yourself I had other things that kept me broke... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_6439.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Mhhayess007

Post by Mhhayess007 »

When I was in grade school in the 80's, a friend of mine came to school carrying this knife. I offered him a couple bucks for it and carried it home where my Dad promptly asked me where I had gotten it.
Dad said that "there is something special about this knife" and took it from me to put away. Dad passed away in 2016 and the as I was going through one of the boxes of knives that Dad had collected over the years, I found it. Now I am trying to find out what it was that made my Dad put it away.
I have changed messages with Bill Hughes of Windy City Knives and he has confirmed that he is in fact the B.R. (Billy Ray Hughes) that is stamped on the blade, that G.W. had made the knife and put his initials in the blade. Is this a collectible;e knife? or just one that will be good for carrying?

Thank you in advance
Attachments
received_557336044732911.jpeg
received_1904935292951565.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

In the post above from WelderBob is a picture of an article about G.W. Stone from 1973. If you click on the picture of the article it expands to a readable size (you can further enlarge it as well). To answer your question, I recommend you read the article if you haven’t already. It may help you decide.

Note that the man is one of the founders of the Knifemakers Guild and during his time was viewed generally as being at the peak in his profession. To quote the article “early models by this craftsman are already sought after by collectors”. You have a piece of history. However you’ll not likely find a better knife to carry and use. He made them to be used.

In the end it’s your knife so the decision is yours. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My latest G.W. Stone acquisition. I posted this one a while back in the Fixed Blades forum but it belongs here also. This was one of Stone’s innovations. He made a lot of knives in the 60’s for servicemen being deployed to Viet Nam, this one was designed as a survival knife for pilots. Stone called this the “Magnum” Survival Knife. Has a wide, heavy blade with spine sharpened at same angle as a hatchet. The blade is wide enough to use for digging. When in hand you can feel the balance weighted such that it could be effectively used as a hatchet. Drilled for a lanyard. Linen micarta handles, 12 inches OAL.

Ken
Attachments
C4CE46B9-C187-4B87-B2FB-0A6A4C9E05A2.jpeg
00E86501-F155-4CAF-A79F-352D6BCC801B.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I was able to acquire another G.W. Stone custom fixed blade. This one has been carried and used lightly, so I now have a good one to carry. Typical of his work it’s materials, fit and finish are flawless. At 7-5/8 inches OAL with a 4 inch blade it’s a good practical size. Integral design, genuine stag handle slabs. Nice custom-made original sheath holds the knife snugly, has a metal belt clip. :D

Ken
Attachments
7FAAC860-2425-4D2F-BDAD-DEF44E06DF57.jpeg
A0261F9D-1DEB-4E2F-B465-BD59A1F4BBB5.jpeg
1662F5E1-F29A-43D8-AD5E-C97FEA7CF913.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Reekax

Post by Reekax »

I own five G.W. Stone knives. All are fixed blades. I met G.W. Back in the 1980’s at his shop in Richardson. He was quite a character and was a very good man, at one time he had a young apprentice working there by the name of Jim Eriksen. Jim went on to have his own custom knife making career for over 25 years, Viking Knives. I am told that G.W. and fellow Knife Makers Guild founder Ralph Bone were at one time partners. I am also told that G.W. Was at one time a Weatherby rep. He loved his Weatherby rifles. Eriksen disappeared from knife making a few years back. His Richardson shop was closed. It took me over a year to track him down but I finally did. I took my 5 Stone Knives to him last week and he buffed and sharpened them for me. They now look brand new. During my visit he was intrigued by my Diana Skinner, #441. He said that his memory served that they made just shy of 500 Diana’s total and that there were very few Diana Skinners ever produced, I also have a Trident Steel River Bowie. Those knives were only produced for Trident Steel Corp. And were given away to their important customers. They are identified by the Trident symbol stamped into the blade. G.W. made very high quality working knives. As stated I own 5 but am always on the lookout for my next one.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW....Ken.... I LIKE that first one!!
I always like a knife that has more than one use. In this case, all on one blade.!! And the lines are GREAT!!
Those are some real beauties Ken. In case nobody has ever told you.... Your taste in knives is exquisite!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Reekax, welcome to AAPK, and thanks for your information about G.W. Stone. I can verify that he in fact once was a business partner of Ralph Bone. They owned shop in Richardson, TX which sold firearms, gunsmith services and of course knives. I went there a few times in the early 1960s with my dad who had some custom gunsmith work done there. (Check your PMs - I responded to yours). Eventually Ralph left and moved to Lubbock where he continued making knives, and G.W. opened a knife making shop and retail store. I’ve seen several G.W. Stone knives offered recently on eBay by a seller who says he bought a large collection from the estate of a collector. They’ve been selling beyond the reach of my wallet. ::tear::

Thanks Mike for the compliments. Glad you like the knives. I think you’re referring to the “Magnum” survival knife. I was lucky to find it. I’ve seen a couple of articles written about the knife and it being a unique design, but have only actually seen two of them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s one I picked up recently, a 3-1/4 inch gentleman’s knife by G.W. Stone. Handles are engraved stainless steel.

Ken
4B02AE9D-0CE9-4628-BFE5-0F0043581ADB.jpeg
Attachments
8E87C0D5-C5B2-435F-98D2-1B81C64BE590.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:01 am Here’s one I picked up recently, a 3-1/4 inch gentleman’s knife by G.W. Stone. Handles are engraved stainless steel.

Ken
WOW... I like those all steel knives when they are highly decorated like yours.
Another nice Stone you have there Ken!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
smylynyoda

Post by smylynyoda »

I'm not knowledgeable about custom knives but I have fond recollections of Mr. Stone, the time he spent with me at home and shop. We lived on the same street, Kirby lane, Richardson. He had great stories about hunting, especially Kodiak Bear hunting. I remember one of the times i visited him at his shop, i believe on Floyd rd., he had made some Chinese fighting stars(i believe thats what he called them) he gave me a demonstration using a human silhouette target against a back wall. Scary, in a good way, for a 12 or 13 year old kid.
For some of that period in the early 70's he rode a Honda 750 cb and had a matching one for his wife, a 500.
I always enjoyed the time i got to spend with him. He was fatherly in a way. I dreamed about him last night. Im sure he is deceased. I'm 60 now but i miss him and wish i could ride my bicycle down to his shop just to listen to his adventure stories and maybe get a little fatherly advice too.
Knights Equinox

Post by Knights Equinox »

@Mumbleypeg, Here is a slipjoint Stone folder I picked up today from an Estate Auction. Sort of curious about the tang stamp. It is clearly STONE, but the positioning of it has me confused. Most of his folders I have observed have it running with the blade. Not for sure on the Scale material, perhaps a smooth bone or Ivory? Open length is 6-5/8", with a 2-7/8" clip blade. Your thoughts?? ::shrug::
Attachments
DSC02992 (2).JPG
DSC02993 (2).JPG
DSC02994 (2).JPG
DSC02995 (2).JPG
“Life is more than love and pleasure,
I came to dig for treasure.
If you want to play, you gotta pay,
You know it’s always been that way
We all came digging for treasure.”
― Stephen King
Knights Equinox

Post by Knights Equinox »

I have ran across mostly STONE Fixed blades in my searches and travels, but rarely do I see any of his folders. He did TOP QUALITY work and thanks for bringing this up Mumbleypeg! I have purchased a couple of his fixed blades that I sold for a hefty profit, hope this slipjoint I just got will do me well also.
“Life is more than love and pleasure,
I came to dig for treasure.
If you want to play, you gotta pay,
You know it’s always been that way
We all came digging for treasure.”
― Stephen King

Return to “Custom Knives”