If only #7 was perfect...

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Tony_Wood

If only #7 was perfect...

Post by Tony_Wood »

This is my #7 slipjoint built from scratch.
It is not perfect, not even close! But, it is closer than the last one.
.125 1095 steel for blade and backspring.
Nickel silver fittings (all from same supplier but still not getting a good color match).
Brass liners.
Jigged and dyed bone.
B9CD95AB-1472-406A-B36E-CFE734BEDFBD.jpeg
EAB00370-5B98-4162-99FF-FB028DDF75D1.jpeg
3A3500AA-1E5A-4D48-957A-BB872CA463B8.jpeg
Have a good one...
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: If only #7 was perfect...

Post by jerryd6818 »

Maybe it's universal or maybe it's just Americans but we seem to expect to be able to do things like a Pro first thing out of the chute, without putting in the time to learn and gain experience and develop skills. Looks pretty dadgummed good for #7. I wouldn't kick it out of my pile.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Looks pretty darn good to me. Say, wasn't #7 the donkey on "Grizzley Adams"?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I like it!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

If you don't like it , you can always send it to me , to try out. :lol:
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, it looks great to me Tony!
jerryd6818 wrote:Maybe it's universal or maybe it's just Americans but we seem to expect to be able to do things like a Pro first thing out of the chute, without putting in the time to learn and gain experience and develop skills. Looks pretty dadgummed good for #7. I wouldn't kick it out of my pile.
You may be right Jerry, it's certainly an American trait (but not exclusively, others share it). Early in my sales career I was sent to England to sell a new product to a prospective customer. Shortly after my presentation to the customer group began, an older gentleman entered the conference room and sat in the back. At the conclusion of my presentation someone said, "It sounds great, but how do we know you can deliver it?" Before I could respond, the older man said "They're Yanks. If they say they can do it, they probably can!"

I learned later that he was the Managing Director of the company, and a WWII veteran. I'll always remember that remark, and the certainty with which he said it.

We got the order. (And we did deliver on time).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

jerryd6818 wrote:Maybe it's universal or maybe it's just Americans but we seem to expect to be able to do things like a Pro first thing out of the chute, without putting in the time to learn and gain experience and develop skills. Looks pretty dadgummed good for #7. I wouldn't kick it out of my pile.
Jerry, Yep. I want to do it right the first time, and every time after that as well. Too much of a perfectionist, I suppose. As for the 'putting in the time,' I did not sell a fixed blade until after # 50. I'm still learning on those as well.
This one will stay in the pile, actually in my pocket. :D

XX Case XX wrote:Looks pretty darn good to me. Say, wasn't #7 the donkey on "Grizzley Adams"?

Thanks Steve. I do as well. ::tu::
Delmar Morgan wrote:If you don't like it , you can always send it to me , to try out. :lol:
Mr. Morgan, I like it a lot! I'm trying it out today with pocket time.
Mumbleypeg wrote:I agree, it looks great to me Tony!
You may be right Jerry, it's certainly an American trait (but not exclusively, others share it). Early in my sales career I was sent to England to sell a new product to a prospective customer. Shortly after my presentation to the customer group began, an older gentleman entered the conference room and sat in the back. At the conclusion of my presentation someone said, "It sounds great, but how do we know you can deliver it?" Before I could respond, the older man said "They're Yanks. If they say they can do it, they probably can!"

I learned later that he was the Managing Director of the company, and a WWII veteran. I'll always remember that remark, and the certainty with which he said it.

We got the order. (And we did deliver on time).

Ken
Ken, my grandpa called that a 'can do' attitude. He was a WWII vet, and there wasn't much that he couldn't do if he set his mind to it.
Thank you.

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Tony_Wood wrote: You calling my knife a donkey?
No Tony, I would never do that, but when I saw "#7" the first thing I thought of was that show Grizzly Adams. Very nice knife Tony. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

[It was born in Missouri, so it must be a mule. [/quote]
I like the knife; I am impressed. Well, it takes a donkey to make a mule. And here is a saying that doesn't apply to you, but there is great wisdom in it: "There is nothing further to be learned by the second kick of a mule." Let 'er buck; it looks like you are well on your way. I wish I had the talent and the gumption.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

XX Case XX wrote:
Tony_Wood wrote: You calling my knife a donkey?
No Tony, I would never do that, but when I saw "#7" the first thing I thought of was that show Grizzly Adams. Very nice knife Tony. ::nod::

I like the knife; I am impressed. Well, it takes a donkey to make a mule. And here is a saying that doesn't apply to you, but there is great wisdom in it: "There is nothing further to be learned by the second kick of a mule." Let 'er buck; it looks like you are well on your way. I wish I had the talent and the gumption.[/quote]
Great quote. New one to me. Let ‘er buck!
Thank you.

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a nice one, Tony. Don't get down on yourself, with each one, you learn a different lesson. Heck, you have there a functioning knife that looks good. That's 2 boxes checked already!
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Looking good Tony ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very nice one Tony....
I can see you are as critical of your own work as I am of mine.
That is a real beauty.... I can't find fault in ANYWHERE... keep getting better my friend!

Mike
::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Custom Knives”