Welding on a tang??

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
RWB

Welding on a tang??

Post by RWB »

I like to fool around and "improve" old production knives. I don't sell them, it's just for fun. Consequently I'm working on blades already heat treated. I came onto this old dagger with a short, very much tapered tang. It had a junk handle and I want to rehandle. I want to weld on a more substantial and longer tang but the area in the circle on the drawing provided is the part that concerns me most. Will a weld this close to the blade hurt or ruin the temper? I'm using 1/16in rod. What do experienced Smiths say? Hope this is the right forum to post such a question.
Attachments
20190213_074323.jpg
20190213_074832.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Welding on a tang??

Post by btrwtr »

Why not leave the original tang in place and slot a flat piece of steel to weld to the original tang? Heat absorption paste can keep the heat from affecting the blade temper.
Attachments
IMG_7777[1].JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RWB

Post by RWB »

I just couldn't wait for a reply, I went ahead and welded on an extension yesterday afternoon (chompin at the bit). You know how it is, lol. That's how I decided to do it as well. Split a piece of stock and weld to the "rat's" tail. I need a mig/tig welder though. Arc welding small parts I find difficult. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.
Attachments
1550240386149146263492.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

is it to thick for a spot welder? They do sell a blanket for jewelry repair, along with paste. mainly for sizing rings when you cannot remover the stone setting. Which is micro torch work. so may not apply?

Return to “Custom Knives”