Hand Made Knives

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
rugmar

Hand Made Knives

Post by rugmar »

Here are a couple of hand made knives that I made about 20 years ago. I only made 8 knives total and have not made one in a long time. Since finding this site I may consider making some more.

These are knives #2 and #4 of the 8 total that I made. They are made of 3/16 thick 440C stainless steel and are full tang knives. I made all the brass pieces on the dagger and pinned them in place. The handle scales on the dagger are linen micarta that's a dark burgundy color. When I finished it I said to myself, "never again". Just too much work to get that double edge. I think I had 120 or so hours in making it. The skinner was kind of a fantasy type knife that was modeled after a knife I once saw on the front of a knife book. It was a little easier and I only pent about half as much time making it. It has really old walnut slab handles. I was told that the piece of walnut I used was around 70 years old back then. It has some really wild things going on in the grain that doesn't seem to show so well in the picture.

Both knives were made using the stock removal method. I profiled both knives on a band saw and then used files to work every thing else. No grinder of any kind was used in any part of the process. Stupid, I know. I think this is why I only made a few knives . After filing it came to sandpaper and I mean a ton of it. Started with 250 then 400 to 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000. The whole process kind of burned me out. I know now that there are better ways or at least much easier ways. We will see what the future holds.

I had a friend at the time who ran a machine shop and he was gracious enough to send these blades out for me to get them heat treated. I found that I shouldn't have worried so much about the luster on the blades as when I got them back from him they were mostly black. More sanding followed.

See what you think. Thanks for looking.

Rugmar
Attachments
IMG_0124.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hand Made Knives

Post by doglegg »

The dagger might have taken a while but it is a sharp looking knife and the skinner as well. Really like the handle on the dagger. ::tu::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Very nice. Great work! Lots of elbow grease in those pieces, especially if you filed the bevels.

Where are the other six knives?
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I have knives 1,3 and 6 also. Numbers 5 and 8 got lost somewhere along the line during a divorce and number 7 got sold to a friend to gift to his dad.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Those are really nice knives! The attention to detail shows and now, long after, you can still admire and enjoy them!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Both are nice, but that dagger is a real eye catcher!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Custom Knives”