confidence

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

confidence

Post by hellize »

The weather was calm. No clouds blot the sun on the open sky. Thou the calmness of the outer world doesn't really count if the opponent dwells in a damp cave. The grotto presents a different kind of tranquility, the gruesome stillness derived from darkness. It takes courage, determination and a bit of craziness to go up against such a formidable adversary. One that lives in the shadows and only leaves its den, when hunger drives him out into the open. But these occasions are rare and they mostly happen on the darkest of nights, when the beast has the same advantage on its side. The blackness, which consumes all. Why not turn the table of opportunity and win the favor of the gods for the cause? Instead of cowardly waiting for the inevitable, one could just as easily greet it with dignity and with open arms. The spirits favor the brave.
The young man was deep in his thoughts. The sun slowly past the point of no return and darkness engulfed the land. A sudden flash crossed his mind, he sprang up from the campfire, shaking from within and for the wonderment of the others, raced into the thick undergrowth. The elders knew his destination, the cave. When they caught up, he has already past the mouth of the cavern. Only one dared to follow.
He found his brother mauled to death on the stony floor, in the middle of a pool of blood. Rage and the lust for vengeance didn't help him against the great cat, who was now enjoying the free meal.
The tiger haven't noticed the second intruder, who was right behind it, accepting the gruesome scene, his heart filled with fear and fury as he reached for his blade. The cat got scent of him, turned and a faint ray of moonlight lit his gargantuan fangs, showing its horrible beauty, but the steel answered with a flash as well and with the giant cats roar, its last breath also left its mouth.

One needs more than blind rage and frenzied confidence to face a Sabre tooth.

It is 42.5 cm long. The blade is 27 cm long, 7 cm wide and 7 mm thick. The accessories are all pattern welded and the bolster is formed of one solid piece, hugging the blade from above.
The handle is iron wood.
It feels very brutal, when held in hand, almost like a small sword!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
csizmar szilard
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: confidence

Post by herbva »

Absolutely gorgeous knife (and a very sad story). Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the scientific name for the saber tooth tiger is "Smilodon", which comes from the Greek for "carving-knife tooth". And, the Smilodon became extinct about 10,000 years ago, as a result of, among other things, climate change and lack of large animals to feed on.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

An absolutely beautiful knife!
And such a captivating story behind it!!

Have you had anything published?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Another beautiful knife and a great story.
Please keep entertaining us with both.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

WOW!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm surprised that it doesn't have a saber tooth handle. Csizmar, another great knife and story. Excellent. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
hellize

Post by hellize »

herbva wrote:Absolutely gorgeous knife (and a very sad story). Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the scientific name for the saber tooth tiger is "Smilodon", which comes from the Greek for "carving-knife tooth". And, the Smilodon became extinct about 10,000 years ago, as a result of, among other things, climate change and lack of large animals to feed on.
Yeah, I know it lived a long time before the iron age, but for the sake of the story I allowed a bit of "temporal dizziness" :D
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

Steve Warden wrote:An absolutely beautiful knife!
And such a captivating story behind it!!

Have you had anything published?
Thanks! :)
Hmm... you mean like a book? No I haven't.
I only make this little pamphlets to go with my knives, from time to time.
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

edge213 wrote:Another beautiful knife and a great story.
Please keep entertaining us with both.
Thanks a lot for the appreciation! :) I will try!
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

samb1955 wrote:WOW!
:D
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

doglegg wrote:I'm surprised that it doesn't have a saber tooth handle. Csizmar, another great knife and story. Excellent. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Thanks! :)
Yeah, it would have been appropriate, wouldn't it?!
We had a few fossilized skeletons at the university, but I doubt the prof would have been really happy if I snatched a tooth or two off of them ::shrug::
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”