sisters of blood and spirit

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Rossr

Re: sisters of blood and spirit

Post by Rossr »

A pretty pair! Do you make the damascus yourself?

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Your knives and leather work are beautiful.
A pleasure to look at.
Joe
hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 am A pretty pair! Do you make the damascus yourself?

Ross
Thanks! :)
Yup! They are 100% homemade! :D
csizmar szilard
hellize

Post by hellize »

FRJ wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 am Your knives and leather work are beautiful.
A pleasure to look at.
Glad you like them! :)
csizmar szilard
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

hellize wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Rossr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:34 am A pretty pair! Do you make the damascus yourself?

Ross
If I ever get a press.or.power hammer I would like.to make some.damascus. I know how great a feeling it is to make it all yourself! Keep it up

hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:18 am
hellize wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Ross
If I ever get a press.or.power hammer I would like.to make some.damascus. I know how great a feeling it is to make it all yourself! Keep it up
Actually, you don't need one! For the first 7 years I forged them all on a piece of railroad track, by hand with an 11 pounder. Up to about 7-8 inch it is ok ;)
csizmar szilard
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Ross, Csizmar made a video of his making a knife and it is somewhere in his old post. Very impressive video. The man is magic with a hammer. ::nod::
hellize

Post by hellize »

doglegg wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 pm Hey Ross, Csizmar made a video of his making a knife and it is somewhere in his old post. Very impressive video. The man is magic with a hammer. ::nod::
Nah, I'm just persistent :D
Here you can check them out if you wish to waste a few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWtMKV ... subscriber
csizmar szilard
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

I just know a power hammer or press makes it easier! Maybe I'll try it one of these days . I'll check the vids out too. Thanks

hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 am I just know a power hammer or press makes it easier! Maybe I'll try it one of these days . I'll check the vids out too. Thanks
It sure, does! It allows you to make larger billets, with less fuel wasted under a shorter time
But most importantly it saves your wrist and elbow. Hand hammering takes a heavy toll on them.
csizmar szilard
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

I've made some forged knives out of coil springs etc and did take a damarcus billet and forged it to shape.. So I completely see how it would mess with your body!

hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:10 am I've made some forged knives out of coil springs etc and did take a damarcus billet and forged it to shape.. So I completely see how it would mess with your body!
Good work! :) But I demand pics! :D
Yeah, it's certainly not the easiest hobby
csizmar szilard
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

hellize wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 am
Rossr wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:10 am I've made some forged knives out of coil springs etc and did take a damarcus billet and forged it to shape.. So I completely see how it would mess with your body!
Most of the knives I made are long sold or given away but I had a few I forged around. The two all metal ones. One was from an old dump rake hay rake tine. The other from a tire stud not the most carbon but holds an edge.. The wood handle with the black in it was also a hay rake tine. All three of those I made a long time ago. Seem kinda rough to me now. The Damascus knife was from a billet a friend of mine made. He sent it to me as a rectangle with a note to forge it to shape and make a knife. So I did I forged it to shape heat treated and tempered. This knife happens to be the 100th knife I made. I have since lost count. But I purposely kept track till 100. The handle is from a piece of wood from my Great grandfather's barn. The metal between the brass was from an old metal door roller from the Barn too. Needless to say its special. At the time it was my best effort. I look at it today and I would refine the handle more and make it thinner. But these things are what we learn on this journey making things.

I know I've done several more hayrake ones and for sure some coil spring ones. Even a few from files.

Always open to thoughts and ways to improve
Attachments
20200603_210522.jpg
20200603_210502.jpg
20200603_210308.jpg
20200603_210213.jpg
20200603_210156.jpg

hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:21 am
hellize wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 am
Most of the knives I made are long sold or given away but I had a few I forged around. The two all metal ones. One was from an old dump rake hay rake tine. The other from a tire stud not the most carbon but holds an edge.. The wood handle with the black in it was also a hay rake tine. All three of those I made a long time ago. Seem kinda rough to me now. The Damascus knife was from a billet a friend of mine made. He sent it to me as a rectangle with a note to forge it to shape and make a knife. So I did I forged it to shape heat treated and tempered. This knife happens to be the 100th knife I made. I have since lost count. But I purposely kept track till 100. The handle is from a piece of wood from my Great grandfather's barn. The metal between the brass was from an old metal door roller from the Barn too. Needless to say its special. At the time it was my best effort. I look at it today and I would refine the handle more and make it thinner. But these things are what we learn on this journey making things.

I know I've done several more hayrake ones and for sure some coil spring ones. Even a few from files.

Hey, these are pretty nice! :)
Yeah, the journey never ends, if you ask me we are all apprentices and will die one day knowing that we really don't know that much at all.
Love those special knives with a story. Sweet! I too have an old piece door hinge from my grandpa's barn, which I still don't know what to do with. Was thinking about making a san mai, with a decent core, since I have no idea what steel it is, but this way it wouldn't matter.
I have only one thing on my mind. It is not really an impovement, more like a thing of taste. I would etch the damascus a bit more. deep etches doesn't rub off or fade away with use. But that is only my mania.
csizmar szilard
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

hellize wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 am
hellize wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 am Good work! :) But I demand pics! :D

Yeah, the journey never ends, if you ask me we are all apprentices and will die one day knowing that we really don't know that much at all.
Love those special knives with a story. Sweet! I too have an old piece door hinge from my grandpa's barn, which I still don't know what to do with. Was thinking about making a san mai, with a decent core, since I have no idea what steel it is, but this way it wouldn't matter.
I have only one thing on my mind. It is not really an impovement, more like a thing of taste. I would etch the damascus a bit more. deep etches doesn't rub off or fade away with use. But that is only my mania.
Thanks. Couldnt agree more on the apprentice comments. Funny u mentioned the etch. It for sure in my opinion too needs to be deeper. If memory serves that was the first damascus I ever etched! Always bugged me it wasn't deeper. I dont even remember what I used but I'm betting I didnt have a strong enough acid at the time. Appreciate the thoughts. The journey continues.

Out of curiosity where are you located? Just general area I mean country state etc.

Ross

hellize

Post by hellize »

Rossr wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:10 am
hellize wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 am

Thanks. Couldnt agree more on the apprentice comments. Funny u mentioned the etch. It for sure in my opinion too needs to be deeper. If memory serves that was the first damascus I ever etched! Always bugged me it wasn't deeper. I dont even remember what I used but I'm betting I didnt have a strong enough acid at the time. Appreciate the thoughts. The journey continues.

Out of curiosity where are you located? Just general area I mean country state etc.

Ross
:) Yeah, the endless journey of life! :D
That was my problem too at first. Etching takes really long, if you have a weak acid. But you can easily hasten it, if you heat the acid up a bit, that increases its reactivity ;)
I live in Transylvania, Ro, EU.
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”