The first knife I've ever made. Critiques?

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Sybr86

The first knife I've ever made. Critiques?

Post by Sybr86 »

I made this blade out of 1095. The handle is made of natural G-10, and held in place with Blade Pro epoxy, and Chicago screws. I'm open to any critiques, pointers, tips, comments, thoughts, opinions, or assessments. Thanks everybody.
Attachments
IMG_20230113_132851__01.jpg
IMG_20230113_132952__01.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The first knife I've ever made. Critiques?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Since you asked for critiques, you should have used pins in the handle instead of those screws. Pins could have been finished flush with handle material, those screw heads may be uncomfortable on the hand. Is the notch at the top of the blade intended as a thumb rest?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Sybr86

Post by Sybr86 »

Yes, the divot on the spine is a thumb rest for better control. I was thinking to add some jimping to it. I also intended it to be a harpoon shaped blade.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Sybr86, you have to start somewhere and I’m sure you will learn on every knife you build.
Your steel looks sort of wavy in your photos. If you want to correct that, rough blades out with a belt sander or file in a vise before you add the handle. Once ruffed out finish with 80 grit wrapped on a flat paint stick. Then progress finer and finer on sandpaper till scratches are gone then buff. I usually take mine to at least 1500 grit before final buff. It takes time for sure. Practice and learn. Good luck.

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I like the shape, looks like a good skinning knife. I would recommend rivets that sit flush with the scales instead of the screws. I'm a big Natural/Jade G-10 fan.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sybr86

Post by Sybr86 »

Thank you fellas for the compliments, and the critiques. I'll keep practicing, and look into using pins for the handle. I'm just about finished with my second project. I'm going to post a photo after I finalize the details. I invite everyone to give their critiques and suggestions on the next one. I plan on posting later this evening, but if not tomorrow for sure. Thanks everybody.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve seen production knives with that general blade shape. That was an ambitious design for your first one. 👍🏻

I’ll agree with the others about he pins. That would be better or even purpose made handle bolts like the Loveless bolts, etc… But being impatient myself I understand using what ya got to get that first one together.

You’ve done more than me. All I’ve done is just daydream about making one.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

I love it, becuase it's your first step to becoming a master at this, and I suspect that many years down this path when you are spitting out master pieces in your sleep, this knife will still be very special to you !!!

Great job mate ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

JonTerry wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 am I love it, becuase it's your first step to becoming a master at this, and I suspect that many years down this path when you are spitting out master pieces in your sleep, this knife will still be very special to you !!!

Great job mate ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

JT
I agree with you Jon, that first knife is special and gives you the confidence needed to go to the second one!
Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
ashwinearl

Post by ashwinearl »

Sybr86 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:53 pm I made this blade out of 1095. The handle is made of natural G-10, and held in place with Blade Pro epoxy, and Chicago screws. I'm open to any critiques, pointers, tips, comments, thoughts, opinions, or assessments. Thanks everybody.
Are you still making knives? I can send you a care package of some handle material, pin stock, maybe some 8670 steel.
Message me here or at my instagram.

Keep at it. If I can help in any way let me know.
----------------------------
See available knives at my store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ashwinearl
See what's on the bench at my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ash.handmade.knives/

Return to “Custom Knives”