Looking for insight on origins of this blade and maybe it's an old custom?

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
LGND

Looking for insight on origins of this blade and maybe it's an old custom?

Post by LGND »

I found this knife along with a vintage Mohwak USA no9 fixed blade hunting knife which displayed similar oxidation on the blade and aluminum(possibly leaded) pommel. There's a single copper rivet holding the pommel and what appears to be stacked glass and metal onto a full tang. The guard has obvious production marks like soldered metal leaves and appears to be brass. It all has a very unrefined feel to it, though with obvious skill put into its creation. The blade itself is what I'm most interested in. At 7.5 inches I'm length, its almost half the thickness of similar length modern daggers measuring 1.7-2mm along the spine. It feels thin, but is incredibly sturdy with a slight flex when force is applied, and though never sharpened has maintained an almost razor edge reminiscent of what few qualities of folded steel I'm aware of. And I found it in a custom leather sheath so weathered, I have a 50 year old leather jacket holding together better.
I scoured every bit of the knife with a spectrum shifted magnifier and can't find anything that possibly looks like an old engraving or production markings. And I've never seen nor can find anything similar to put any date or information. Figured I'd drop this where people familiar with custom blades can give their two cents. If any clearer or specific imagery is needed just ask
Attachments
20230323_225500.jpg
20230323_225638.jpg
20230323_225818.jpg
20230323_225748.jpg
20230323_225712.jpg
rea1eye

Re: Looking for insight on origins of this blade and maybe it's an old custom?

Post by rea1eye »

If only the knife could talk............

Bob
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

it's a handmade WW2 "theater" knife. Usually made from materials on hand in a maintainence shop.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, homemade knife. Based on your description possibly made from a power hacksaw blade. ::shrug:: Those of the “Greatest Generation” were a remarkably creative and capable lot.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I agree about it being handmade. The guard looks like it might be brazed onto the blade.
My Dad made a few knives from old sawblades back before I was born, and this thin flexible blade looks similar. I wish there were some way to establish provenance, and to know who made it or for whom it was made. You know that a lot of time and care went into that knife!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
jkf96a

Post by jkf96a »

I agree, handmade "theater" knife.

Return to “Custom Knives”