Case astronaut m-1 1966 different blade w sheath extremely rare Help?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
foundinthedort

Case astronaut m-1 1966 different blade w sheath extremely rare Help?

Post by foundinthedort »

I won at an auction this Case astronaut m-1. It is not a collectors display model in the case. This one has a different notches blade and an actual sheath. I have heard that is because it is the real deal and not a retail collectors knife. It was purchased at an estate of a gentleman that has many items guns/ knifes from historically significant events WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, with bring back documents, pictures etc so this person was a collector of very high end items. Also it is the only one I have seen with the sheath. I can not even find a picture of one like it. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance from a Padawan leaner. Steve
Attachments
10-6.jpg
10-5.jpg
10-4.jpg
10-3.jpg
10-2.jpg
10-1.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case astronaut m-1 1966 different blade w sheath extremely rare Help?

Post by edge213 »

foundinthedort wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:20 pm I won at an auction this Case astronaut m-1. It is not a collectors display model in the case. This one has a different notches blade and an actual sheath. I have heard that is because it is the real deal and not a retail collectors knife. It was purchased at an estate of a gentleman that has many items guns/ knifes from historically significant events WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, with bring back documents, pictures etc so this person was a collector of very high end items. Also it is the only one I have seen with the sheath. I can not even find a picture of one like it. Any info or help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance from a Padawan leaner. Steve
Looks like a broken blade and homemade sheath to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::hmm:: This picture definitely looks odd . . .
Attachments
Screenshot_20221201-103004.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

You are correct that the version of the knife carried on the Apollo space missions was slightly different from those later sold to the public. One of the original versions is on display at the Smithsonian.

Your knife however is a standard “retail collector’s” version of the commemorative knife Case made for sale to the public. And in poor condition. They were all serial numbered - yours is number 1041. They were sold in a shadow box display and did not have a sheath. Looks to me as though someone had a sheath made for yours, attached the lanyard cord, and used it. In the process they broke chunks out of the blade, thus severely diminishing its value IMHO.

Below is a picture of the genuine article as carried on the Apollo missions. (Courtesy of the Case Collector’s Club forum). Note the cross-hatched aluminum handle and aluminum sheath. Also, here is a link to an article about the knife from Knife Magazine https://www.knifemagazine.com/knife-of- ... _122125/1/

Ken
Attachments
128CECF8-F174-419E-9520-B2A8FDB1D4DA.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
foundinthedort

Post by foundinthedort »

Thank you for the information. I am a rookie picker and do buy a lot of knives. I appreciate the information. That is the way it was looking. Steve
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There is a wealth of information on this site. Hope you'll find it beneficial. We were all novices once, and we're all still learning. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Look around the site and familiarize yourself with the resources here. There is a keyword search function accessible under Quicklinks at the upper left. And a fairly comprehensive Research section accessible by clicking on Research in the header at the top of the page. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”