Ever have second thoughts?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ever have second thoughts?

Post by Steamboat Willie »

So I’ve been a knife accumulator most of my life. I’d buy a knife, carry it every day until I got bored with it, then pick up another. Never considered myself a collector until an annoying little bug called Covid put a damper on other things I do. Knife collecting was a pandemic hobby that became an addiction.

Now that things have mostly returned to normal and I’m back to sailing and running steam engines regularly I’ve slowed way down on my knife buying. Recently I’ve toyed with the idea of cherry picking a dozen or so favorites to hang onto, culling the rest of my collection, and returning to regularly scheduled programming.

That thought usually passes quickly and I go right back to looking at knives, and at least once or twice a month I see something that makes me say “Oh, I’ve gotta get me one of THOSE!”

Am I a deviant, or does anybody else wrestle with their knife habit??
Samb

Re: Ever have second thoughts?

Post by Samb »

All the time, about everytime I buy one anymore. That's all I need is another knife.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Yep thats me all over,

I buy sometimes with the purpose of selling them on, but too many times I think well thats a keeper ....Doh !!!

I do get asked my the Mrs " How many have you got now ?

So I reply, " In Finland it is very rude to ask a hearder how many Reindeer he has, in the same way,you don't ask people how much money is in your bank !! "
Investments babe honest ;)

Also I keep buying knives to use as EDC's and then because the new-mint condidtion stops me wanting to use them they become drawer queens, keep an eye out as some of mine will soon become availible ;)

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
eveled

Post by eveled »

Some random thoughts on the subject

When I feel the urge to go to a well stocked knife shop and pick something “new”. I go through my collection and pick one that hasn’t been carried in a while.

Every knife I own was bought for a reason so eventually that reason will come up again.

Knives will be worth more than money after a total collapse of society.

The biggest reason so my kids can try and see different knives without buying them. Ultimately the knives belong to them anyway.

For the record I don’t even have a well stocked knife shop near me. Just a couple cases in a hardware store. So having a big collection is the only way I got to hold many of them.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

eveled wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:37 am
When I feel the urge to go to a well stocked knife shop and pick something “new”. I go through my collection and pick one that hasn’t been carried in a while.
I employ this strategy as well, I have enough knives that many go for long periods without getting carried. Pulling one of those out to drop in my pocket for a day or so kinda gives me that "new knife" feeling without spending any more money. And like eveled said, they were all bought for a reason, and carrying them again can remind me what I liked about them in the first place. Or, it can remind me why I stopped carrying it, in which case I can move it on...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Mike when we get senile we can have someone wrap one of our knives and tell us we have mail! Excitement every day!
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

For me it started a few years back when I realized that I had never bought a pocket knife of my own: everything I had was gifted to me by my father over the years. Then I made the mistake of repairing one...
That lead me to join AAPK, where I began learning about different brands and patterns. I accumulate rather than collect, and I truly love obtaining knives of different styles and patterns. I had no clue that many of these style knives even existed before AAPK. So most of my "keepers" are knives that are unique, or different in some way.
I buy many knives just to repair. Some I keep, some I give away, and some I sell. I usually thin the herd when I have multiples of the same knife.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The only ones I’ve regretted are the few that I acquired only to discover I already have one just like it that I forgot about. ::facepalm:: And the very few I bought only to learn later they are counterfeits. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: (I tell my self those are “learning experiences”). ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:37 pm The only ones I’ve regretted are the few that I acquired only to discover I already have one just like it that I forgot about.

Ken
--My wife told me about that once. I was kinda embarrassed. Obviously she pays close attention
even though she is not a knife person. She is happy I have found another hobby.
I kept the second knife for a while but just had to sell one of them. Never happened again. :D

When I get a knife ( new or used) I always carry it around for at least a week. On used knives
I sometimes go back and do more polishing and sharpening. I have a Craftsman knife now
that will have patina removed and replaced. I just am not very satisfied how it turned out.
I think I am going to sharpen it again since I have used it a few times.

Since I keep all my knives in a medium size box that has many drawers, I sometimes
wonder if I should stop buying knives. The box is quite full and I really do not want
to have another place to store knives.. We will see. My full retirement is coming
and so is Christmas!

Bob
catspa

Post by catspa »

No matter what size your box, Bob, you can always find a bigger one.

Personally, I employ the “spread’em out” strategy. Several lined up on the bookcase, several more on the desk, couple on the shelf near the toilet, couple dozen in the kitchen. Many more in the shop, sheds and outbuildings. Several in each vehicle. And the pockets, oh boy the pockets.

My goal is never to be beyond arm’s reach of a knife of some kind. I believe I have 99% achieved it.

Parker

Return to “General Knife Discussion”