from old parts...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
winst

from old parts...

Post by winst »

I have of late noticed that we are having more and more Case tested knives being listed on ebay stating that they are constructed from old parts yet the blades look as though they were fresh off the press. My question is "old parts" from where?? There is one of these knifes now on ebay..a stockman that looks to have an old Ulster blade as the flash blade. In order to distinguish these from pure original we must assign them a particular classification...."modified original" would be "oxymoronish" so maybe some one can come up with a good slot that would be fitting for these "made from old parts" hybrids. HA HA.........
Gunsil

Re: from old parts...

Post by Gunsil »

JUNK !!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Most were made out of the Kutmaster parts that were obtained from the Utica factory in the 1980's.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I think this possibly could be one of the auctions under discussion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134334607019
It is a shame that there probably are those who mistakenly assume they are bidding on a Case knife. The auction wording is somewhat disingenuous, sneaky, and needs to be read carefully. "A vintage pocket knife, assembled partially from salvaged Case parts, while other components (i.e. handles) appear to be newer materials." It looks to me like the shield may be the only legitimate Case part.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

$115 for a cobbled knife and 3 days to go. ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

It is offensive to call it "near mint to mint", while at the same time claiming that it was cobbled from parts.
At least this seller admits that it is not an original Case, but is still misleading if many of the parts are not Case.
I do not know enough about older Case knives to spot a fake (excepting the occasional across-the-room fake), so I avoid them unless I am buying them for parts.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Are these people selling these parts knives actually able to stamp blades like the one I see on eBay?

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Yes sir. Knife counterfeiting is far more prevalent than most people realize.
Some stamps look so bad that you wonder why they bothered, but others look almost just like the originals. You learn to see where the tang was shaved down (to remove the original tang stamp), or for signs of a "cold stamp", where the stamping in rounded instead of crisp, because it has been done after the steel has been tempered.
There are many other signs, but to my inexperienced eye these normally stand out.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Oledadsknives wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:50 am Are these people selling these parts knives actually able to stamp blades like the one I see on eBay?

Jimbo
Yes. Recommend you see the Counterfeit Watch forum here and read through the posts, where you will find numerous examples of fake stamps on several different knife brands. Here’s just a couple of threads discussing fake stamps and how to spot them. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=76717

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75827&p=1028007&hilit=Cold#p1028007

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Wow, I never realized people would actually be able to do this tang stamp thing. Common sense always told me that shaving the tang would be pretty noticeable against a spring, but I guess people will try about anything to deceive and make a dollar. Thanks for the valuable info Ken!

Jimbo
Jimbo
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Thank you too Reverand. I didn’t realize this was such an ongoing problem. You guys here at aapk are a world of knowledge for sure!

Jimbo
Jimbo
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is the knife from the eBay link posted.

Nothing short of rediculous to say this knife is "A vintage pocket knife, assembled partially from salvaged Case parts". Calling a counterfeit Frankenknife would be spot on. As knifeaholic notes these are fake stamped Kutmaster blades, wrong bone and jigging for a Tested era knife. I don't believe the shield is even old and real. None of these parts go together to make any form of a legitimate Case knife. Note that all the contours of the blades and pulls appear to be very soft and rounded. On an old XX or Tested era knife the bevels would be sharp.

As is often the trend with these knives, fake stamping all the blades just puts more bait on the hook for the unsuspecting buyer but in reality makes the knife that much more incorrect.

Just one of the hundreds of knives on eBay that are fake, altered or incorrectly advertised.
Attachments
Casemaster.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Pretty sad Wayne. Well I agree with someone that said at least the post admits to using various parts to make a knife. At least they did that much.
Jimbo
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That spey! Dead giveaway!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
EC_Snooker

Post by EC_Snooker »

btrwtr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:32 pm Here is the knife from the eBay link posted.

Nothing short of rediculous to say this knife is "A vintage pocket knife, assembled partially from salvaged Case parts". Calling a counterfeit Frankenknife would be spot on. As knifeaholic notes these are fake stamped Kutmaster blades, wrong bone and jigging for a Tested era knife. I don't believe the shield is even old and real. None of these parts go together to make any form of a legitimate Case knife. Note that all the contours of the blades and pulls appear to be very soft and rounded. On an old XX or Tested era knife the bevels would be sharp.

As is often the trend with these knives, fake stamping all the blades just puts more bait on the hook for the unsuspecting buyer but in reality makes the knife that much more incorrect.

Just one of the hundreds of knives on eBay that are fake, altered or incorrectly advertised.
For Historical Purposes - That knife sold for $152.50 with a total of 9 bidders participating.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

EC_Snooker wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:51 am
btrwtr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:32 pm Here is the knife from the eBay link posted.

For Historical Purposes - That knife sold for $152.50 with a total of 9 bidders participating.
Proof that P.T. Barnum was right!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

$152.50 ::barf:: ::facepalm:: ::skeptic::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”