Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TPK

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by TPK »

Great looking knives everyone! ::nod:: ::tu::

Here are a few that I have recieved over the last 4 or 5 weeks but just never got around to posting pictures of them till now. :oops: I took pictures of the tang stamps so not much explaining required. ::tu::
As always, thanks for looking. :D

Add:

All 3 of these are brands I didn't have any of them before so I am very happy to add them to my humble & disparate collection. The A. WRIGHT & SON is of a very fine quality. Great fit & finish. Blade well centered & a very strong pull. Only knife in my collection with a similarly strong pull is my IXL Barlow. ::nod::

The PROTEA MOP pen knife, I bought it to carry it on my 30th Anniversary in July. That's the "Peal-Anniversary" and offers a great excuse to buy a MOP pocket knife. Hoping my wife will forget about this one by July so I'll be able to use the same excuse twice. :mrgreen:

The Gustav Voss Solingen will proudly join my EDC rotation while the other 2 already have a seat in my showcase for some lucky feller years from now. ::shrug:: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20230129_075406_619~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074119_121~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074215_791~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074229_647~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074442_076~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074458_686~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074549_310~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074612_307~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074741_005~2.jpg
IMG_20230129_074137_665~2.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 pm
Nev52 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:36 pm Just recieved this from an AAPK seller James & Company. A.Wright & Son "Tackler" Ebony Handles and a Wharncliff blade. :D I like it. ::tu::
Nev
A.Eright & Son side.jpgA.Wright & Son spring.jpgA.Wright & Son.jpg
That's a beauty Nev, no matter what the correct name for the blade is. I almost bought one like yours, but at the last second went with this one, and according to Jerry's chart it was correctly described as having a Lambfoot blade. 8)WIN_20230128_15_35_49_Pro.jpgWIN_20230128_15_37_23_Pro.jpg
:shock: Sweeeeeeet addition my friend! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 pm
Nev52 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:49 pm
I contacted the seller. This was his response. A Wright’s Wharncliffe blade is rounded as the top of the blade curves towards the point…The lambsfoot blade is angled, without the curve…I have the factory use extended bolsters so the knife has Barlow characteristics…Thank you, Jim
So I guess A.Wright & Son are a different style blade. :?
Nev
Sounds like an excuse based on ignorance to me. ::paranoid::

Consider this A Wright & Son "Senator" (purchased on eBay) that has either a Wharncliffe or a Lambfoot blade depending on how strictly the specific definitions are interpreted & applied.
:shock: I like that one Q! ::nod:: Is the pull also very strong on it as it is on my new A.WRIGHT & SON? ::shrug:: If so, & if you ever wish to sell that one I'd be interested in it. ::tu:: The one I bought impressed me. ::nod:: For some strange reason strong pulls impress me. ::shrug:: :oops: ::dang::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Nev52 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:45 pm A Wright & Son Sheffield, England "Tackler" Pocket Knife in Ebony Scales and Wharncliffe Blade
A Wright & Son "Tackler" pocket knife with Ebony Scales and Wharncliffe blade. Closed length: 3.6" Blade length: 2.75" Blade Steel: C70 Carbon Steel from Sheffield,...
8 In Stock
Item # 67933
Tackler.jpg
Nice addition Nev. ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Please tell me about the pull on it. Is it still real strong like it was new? ::hmm::

Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Tom, ::handshake::
The pull is stout. Maybe an 8 ::uc:: but I am no expert.
Nev
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Nice little group, Tom! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Sargents 5th edition Queen fixed blade
Sargents 5 th edition.  Queen  (1955-57)
Sargents 5 th edition. Queen (1955-57)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nev52 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 am Thanks Tom, ::handshake::
The pull is stout. Maybe an 8 ::uc:: but I am no expert.
Nev
I'm with ya on the 8. I'd say the one I bought is at least an 8. ::nod:: Wouldn't want it much stronger or it would be a nail breaker. :lol:

TPK

Post by TPK »

Thomasg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 pm Sargents 5th edition Queen fixed bladeimage.jpg
I don't really collect fixed blades but that's a very nice looking knife. ::nod:: ::tu::

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thomasg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 pm Sargents 5th edition Queen fixed bladeimage.jpg
Great looking little Queen, Thomasg!
Seeing how I'm sorta partial to Queens, that little one there would be a great knife working on a deer!
These 2 came from the same person, for some reason they generated no interest on ebay. ::shrug:: The Sod Buster Jr. is unused and the Uncle Henry 833 was lightly used, both great small folding knives. :)
My photography skills won't win a prize, the little Soddie's etch can't be seen in the picture.
My photography skills won't win a prize, the little Soddie's etch can't be seen in the picture.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:21 pm
Seeing how I'm sorta partial to Queens, that little one there would be a great knife working on a deer!
These 2 came from the same person, for some reason they generated no interest on ebay. ::shrug:: The Sod Buster Jr. is unused and the Uncle Henry 833 was lightly used, both great small folding knives. :)002.JPG
Treefarmer
Sod busters are excellent for heavy duty work knifes .I have had several old times and uncle Henry’s over the years .
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TPK wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 am
Nev52 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:36 pm Just recieved this from an AAPK seller James & Company. A.Wright & Son "Tackler" Ebony Handles and a Wharncliff blade. :D I like it. ::tu::
Nev
A.Eright & Son side.jpgA.Wright & Son spring.jpgA.Wright & Son.jpg
That's a beauty Nev, no matter what the correct name for the blade is. I almost bought one like yours, but at the last second went with this one, and according to Jerry's chart it was correctly described as having a Lambfoot blade. 8)WIN_20230128_15_35_49_Pro.jpgWIN_20230128_15_37_23_Pro.jpg
Thanks Tom, and those 3 new ones you posted are all very nice too. When you mention to ~Q~ that you'd be interested in buying his "Senator", not to take a potential sale or trade away from him but if you can live with the same blade shape(Lambfoot)as the one on your new Wright or that's on my knife, you can buy one from the AAPK store "James and Company". The only difference being, ~Q~'s knife has a true Wharncliffe blade, and mine and the remaining ones in the J & C store have a Lambfoot blade. It was me who started the discussion on how strong the pull and detent is on my "Senator", because it's so strong I thought it must be a flaw, but after asking other owners they all said the same thing, it's very strong on their knives too, so you'd definitely be satisfied with the action on the "Senators". Just thought you might want to know buddy! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a fine looking Queen, Thomas! Are those handles stag or wood, or something else? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

These 2 came from the same person, for some reason they generated no interest on ebay. ::shrug:: The Sod Buster Jr. is unused and the Uncle Henry 833 was lightly used, both great small folding knives. :)002.JPG
Treefarmer
That's a fine pair TF! I have the same black sodbuster cept' mine is the Sr. version, great everyday knife. 8)
8)
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 pm
That's a fine looking Queen, Thomas! Are those handles stag or wood, or something else? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
Thanks. I think the handle is stag .
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TY, Thomas! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

1988 Blue Grass Cutlery-Winchester 3904 3-spring heavy duty Whittler found at a gunshop last week. OH
Attachments
BE75E737-C6CE-4567-82B7-13A093D0F2D4.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Old Hunter wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 am 1988 Blue Grass Cutlery-Winchester 3904 3-spring heavy duty Whittler found at a gunshop last week. OH
That's a beauty, OH. I have been keeping my eyes open for those Queen made black box Winchesters. Would like to find a user to carry.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thomasg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:36 pm
Treefarmer
Sod busters are excellent for heavy duty work knifes .I have had several old times and uncle Henry’s over the years .
Thomasg,
For years I have been using a Queen #39 as my deer knife and for some reason I picked up my Sod Buster a few weeks ago and started carrying it. As you said they are indeed an "excellent knife for heavy duty work". I used my 2318 again this afternoon to break down a deer carcass. Here it is with the new comer, Jr. Also found some incriminating evidence indicating what caused the demise of the latest deer casualty here at Starvation Plantation.
004.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:27 am
Thomasg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:36 pm

Treefarmer
Thomasg,
For years I have been using a Queen #39 as my deer knife and for some reason I picked up my Sod Buster a few weeks ago and started carrying it. As you said they are indeed an "excellent knife for heavy duty work". I used my 2318 again this afternoon to break down a deer carcass. Here it is with the new comer, Jr. Also found some incriminating evidence indicating what caused the demise of the latest deer casualty here at Starvation Plantation. 004.JPG
Treefarmer
I skinned all 3 if mine this year with a buck 110 .I use a old western states fish knife to d-bone them .knocked them down with my marlin 35 lever action I’ve had 30 years now .
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

313 Mike wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:03 am
Old Hunter wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 am 1988 Blue Grass Cutlery-Winchester 3904 3-spring heavy duty Whittler found at a gunshop last week. OH
That's a beauty, OH. I have been keeping my eyes open for those Queen made black box Winchesters. Would like to find a user to carry.
Thanks Mike! I just sent you a PM. BB
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whoa, that's a beauty OH. It looks as solid as the day is long. Nice catch! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:51 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 am
Thanks Tom, and those 3 new ones you posted are all very nice too. When you mention to ~Q~ that you'd be interested in buying his "Senator", not to take a potential sale or trade away from him but if you can live with the same blade shape(Lambfoot)as the one on your new Wright or that's on my knife, you can buy one from the AAPK store "James and Company". The only difference being, ~Q~'s knife has a true Wharncliffe blade, and mine and the remaining ones in the J & C store have a Lambfoot blade. It was me who started the discussion on how strong the pull and detent is on my "Senator", because it's so strong I thought it must be a flaw, but after asking other owners they all said the same thing, it's very strong on their knives too, so you'd definitely be satisfied with the action on the "Senators". Just thought you might want to know buddy! 8)
Thanks for the Info my friend! ::handshake:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::
The Wharncliffe blade is a nice variation though. ::hmm:: Not to mention the stag handles. ::nod::
Wow, he has a number of these knives. :shock: ::tu::

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 am
Whoa, that's a beauty OH. It looks as solid as the day is long. Nice catch! 8)
Thanks!
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Like that Winchester, Hunter. Great find!

Good lookin’ knives there Treefarmer!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”