camping knife suggestions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
williammcgrath

camping knife suggestions

Post by williammcgrath »

which knife you suggest for outdoor camping . i am going for camping and needs your suggestion that, which camping knife would you recommend ?
Dan In MI

Re: camping knife suggestions

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm far from expert, so take my recommendations with at least a few grains of salt. An entire mine's worth may be better...

That said, I'd have no qualms about taking my Morakniv Garberg and/or my ESEE Izula II on a camping trip. I'd pair it with a Swiss Army knife or a Leatherman that is equipped with a wood saw. A dedicated folding wood saw might also be desirable, and I may also take an ax or hatchet.

Hope that's been of at least some help.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
robpa

Post by robpa »

I think fixed blade for camping. Very handy for tent pegs, making tinder, etc. Check out bush craft style. Best is a fixed blade and a pocket knife, think scout knife type which are available in all sizes and blade configurations. You dont have to spend a wad but dont go cheap.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Since camping knives are most often used for preparing meals I prefer a medium size fixed blade made from thin blade stock so it will slice foods like cheese better. I want a handle that I am comfortable immersing in dish water. That's also the reason for choosing a fixed blade. My old 121 was the best of Buck's 100 series. It has a thinner blade. Some years it was sold as the Fisherman. I have seen wives swipe their husband's Buck 121s for kitchen duty the rest of the year. They're that good.

I also always carried a pocket knife.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

It depends on what kind of camping you are talking about. Car camping, where you pitch you tent outside your car in a prepared site in a campground? Or backpacking type camping where you hike in and carry your gear on your back?
If car camping then take along whatever you want and have fun with them since you won't have to carry them. If backpacking, then a small stout fixed blade and an SAK like the Farmer model which has a small wood saw on it.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My choices which I used many times back in the day camping are Buck 121 on the belt, and a SAK of which I had several choices in the pocket. Probably used the old model SAK Champion more than any. If there was any chopping required, I had an old Charter Arms Skatchet along.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Depends on where you’re going, and most importantly, how you’re getting there. If you’re driving to the campground take whatever you want, in fact take several different things. Knives, saw, an axe. Choose whatever you want and next time you’ll know what worked best for you.

If you’re backpacking, you should not be going alone so split it up. Each person should have a good pocket knife. One person carry a bow saw, someone else a good fixed blade knife, another person a small camp axe (hatchet). All those items you can share when needed so only take one of each. If just two of you, leave the axe home. You’ll likely be carrying dehydrated food or MREs so all you need for meals is a spoon and the blade on your pocket knife. In nearly twenty years of backpacking I never needed a fork.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:40 pm Since camping knives are most often used for preparing meals I prefer a medium size fixed blade made from thin blade stock so it will slice foods like cheese better. I want a handle that I am comfortable immersing in dish water. That's also the reason for choosing a fixed blade. My old 121 was the best of Buck's 100 series. It has a thinner blade. Some years it was sold as the Fisherman. I have seen wives swipe their husband's Buck 121s for kitchen duty the rest of the year. They're that good.

I also always carried a pocket knife.
Oh man! What they say about Great Minds Think Alike. I love my 121s; I have more than one, some are Precious and some I use and use and use. Now Old Hunter would say 118, but what the heck-- 105s and 102s have a place in my heart as well.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Back in the 1970’s I would do a lot of tent camping. I would carry a hatchet for fire wood and driving in tent stakes. I had a schrade LB-7 on my belt and a scout knife in my pocket that had a can & bottle opener in it. That’s all I needed and never had any issues. I hope that helps you.
Nev
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:00 am Back in the 1970’s I would do a lot of tent camping. I would carry a hatchet for fire wood and driving in tent stakes. I had a schrade LB-7 on my belt and a scout knife in my pocket that had a can & bottle opener in it. That’s all I needed and never had any issues. I hope that helps you.
Nev
Good advice. There are so many possibilities that would be very workable. I always have a bow saw in my vehicle along with a hatchet.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 pm
Nev52 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:00 am Back in the 1970’s I would do a lot of tent camping. I would carry a hatchet for fire wood and driving in tent stakes. I had a schrade LB-7 on my belt and a scout knife in my pocket that had a can & bottle opener in it. That’s all I needed and never had any issues. I hope that helps you.
Nev
Good advice. There are so many possibilities that would be very workable. I always have a bow saw in my vehicle along with a hatchet.
I agree many possibilities. I forgot to add the bow saw. ::dang:: My main thing is on TV everyone uses a knife to make kindling why beat the hell out of a good knife batoning wood? when you can use a hatchet? ::uc:: It does not add much to your pack and you can use the knife for it's main purpose to cut. :shock:
Nev
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Hatchets can be very cool in their own right. I hate to open a can of worms, though.
catspa

Post by catspa »

Ive opened a can of worms before with a camp knife, but I prefer to dig them fresh on-site. The canned ones don’t have the same flavor, perhaps they rinse the dirt off prior to canning.

You can open a can of worms with a hatchet, but it’s messier (especially if you don’t watch where your fingers are).

Parker
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

As mentioned above it depends on the type of camping , i wild camp so use a few different knives , usually I carry a khukuri for chopping wood and kindling , I keep a opinel no9 for food prep as a great slicer, I’ve got my own fixed blade that I designed that I use as my own knife , but I recommend a esee 4 as well as a solid knife and a great company , equally a mora no1 and a good hatchet works great ::tu:: pics of some of my favourites ::tu::
F9A26D9B-B9B5-4F24-94C6-BB8583A81F37.jpeg
Attachments
5FED834D-E619-4D8A-A724-A524FEB336AD.jpeg
E630C85C-EBE9-4A3E-A5E2-4480273FF217.jpeg
28348D09-D604-4965-AB3D-CFFFC6D2D853.jpeg
57A58A62-396D-44F1-8484-89E052D316DF.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

2 cents, just me, works for what we do, hope it helps.
Becker BK-9
Becker BK-16
A Stockman and something with a spear. Folders will vary but the fixed not. Used to take a hatchet, now its a tomahawk.
Attachments
thumbnail_20230130_160853.jpg
thumbnail_20230130_161202.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”