What's Your Favorite Knife Steel?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Rich53

What's Your Favorite Knife Steel?

Post by Rich53 »

A lot of you have more experience with this than I do, so I'd be interested in some opinions.

I own a few budget knives with low end steel like 8cr13mov and 420. I also own high end knives using M390 and S90V.

For my money, I'd have to say my favorite is D2. It's affordable and well rounded. It keeps a decent edge and isn't too difficult to sharpen.

Any other faves? Thanks!
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: What's Your Favorite Knife Steel?

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::hmm:: ... I am partial to CPM S35VN :) CPM S35VN is a martensitic stainless steel designed to offer improved toughness over CPM S30V. It is also easier to machine and polish than CPM S30V. Its chemistry has been rebalanced so that it forms some niobium carbides along with vanadium and chromium carbides. Substituting niobium carbides for some of the vanadium carbides makes CPM S35VN about 15-20% tougher than CPM S30V without any loss of wear resistance.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I like S35VN a lot. It’s growing on me as I use it more.

It’s pretty hard to beat tried and true 440C though, for the same reasons Rich likes D2. FWIW here’s what custom knife maker Jay Fisher says about 440C https://www.jayfisher.com/Blades.htm#440C

https://www.jayfisher.com/440C-Love-Hate.htm

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

1095…yes it will rust, needs oiled every now and then but easy to sharpen and not brittle like some of the super steels, when heat treated properly (such as ESEE knives) it’s a metal that that works well on survival knives. Carbon steel don’t get the love of super steels but it should. D2 is also a favorite.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

For me and all these years Bucks 440 C does it for me. I have to agree with Jamie for my non work pocket knives 1095 with a good pantina in my choice 😃
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Nothing wrong with 1095 in high carbon, or 440C in stainless.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have no issue with the newer steels - I have a couple of knives with it and they work like a knife should. But there is something comforting to me about 1095 carbon steel blades. I love the ease of sharpening, the edge retention, and the beautiful patina that develops with use.
And I did enjoy the article about 440C. I did not know that it could not be hand forged. Very informative!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I've never concerned myself with the steel.
I figure if I'm getting a knife from a reputable maker (Case, Buck, GEC, etc.), I'm getting a blade with proven steel.
I have both carbon and stainless blades. I can get them all sharp enough to take the hair off my arm. They don't get heavy use, and I'm carrying a different knife every day or so, so I'm not really sure how long those blades are retaining their edge. If needed, a few quick strokes on the ceramic rods of my Lansky TB and I'm back to being happy.

But that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

White Steel is one of my favorites. S35V is also on the list. VG-10, CPM-54, ATS-34 are all great steels as well.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

For all around sharpness and ease of resharpening, I like Sandvik - 12C27. I have M390 knives but no equipment to resharpen so they don't get used.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My opinion of modern quality stainless steels changed considerably with my belated discovery of diamond plate sharpeners. Specifically the acquisition of a WorkSharp Guided Sharpening System. Prior to that my choice was carbon steel.

I just could not get a satisfactory edge on stainless steel blades using conventional stones, without a lot of work. Diamonds make it an easy job and changed my whole perspective.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

I'm not a steel junkie. In my view it's just a fad, take an every day tool and stick a hugely expensive piece of steel in it. To be honest I don't get it.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

My favorite is the old carbon steel (non stainless) used back in the day. The best, imo, was the old Western steel from the Boulder era and earlier. It is both hard and tough and takes an amazing edge that it holds for a long time. A very close second would be the CASE and Camillus steels.

I’m not such a fan of the modern 1095 variant that so many seem to be using. It may be the heat treating methods, but I seem to remember that reading that the vanadium levels in much of it are not as high as they used to be, and that makes a difference in the sharpening ability and the kind of edge they take. Ken will know what I’m talking about here, but they just don’t seem to get as toothy as steels from yesteryear.

I used to not be a fan of CASE Trusharp, but it has grown on me some. I don’t know if it has gotten better or if I’m just better at sharpening it. Still not my favorite, but it’ll do.

I think with the less than premium stainless steels, blade grind makes a huge difference. Hollow ground or thin blades in cheaper stainless don’t seem to hold an edge as well as flat ground or thicker blades in my experience. I have a couple of CASE folding hunters in stainless and with their saber ground blades they do get real sharp and hold a great edge. Buck imo is the best at taking a cheap steel and really making it sing.

I also really like the old Solingen blades I have. And from what I have gathered, most of the pocket knives are in the neighborhood of 1080-1084ish. They get good and sharp, won’t hold the edge hardly as long as the older American chrome vanadium steels, but are very easy to resharpen on a piece of leather if need be, and are tough. Often the blades will bend before they’ll break. The exception being Carl Schlieper.

As to the newer stainless steels ats-34, s30v, and VG10 are the only ones I have experience with. I,Iike them all, but s30v can chip easy it is so hard.

Like Ken, I have gone to using diamond hones almost exclusively, although I still free hand everything.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I get the sense that you reach a point of diminishing returns with the really expensive steels. They keep an edge for a long time, but they are a pain to sharpen when it's needed. Also, expensive steel is more brittle.

I don't really understand the chemistry of it, but I'm assuming that cheaper steels are tougher because they are softer and can absorb impacts better than the expensive stuff.

That's why I love D2 for my needs. It's affordable and it strikes a good balance between toughness, edge retention and ease of sharpening.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Steve Warden wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:00 pm I've never concerned myself with the steel.
I figure if I'm getting a knife from a reputable maker (Case, Buck, GEC, etc.), I'm getting a blade with proven steel.
^^^^ ^^^^
what he said !!

All the metallurgy and chemistry is way over my head anyway.
What works best for me is whatever is sharp and in my pocket when I need it
::nod::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I have been impressed with Buck's 420 steel. They are on to something with their proprietary heat treatment...
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

What's my favorite knife steel?, the kind that cuts, of course! ::rotflol:: ! 8)
8)
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

My latest D2 acquisition. A Kershaw Highball.
20230210_083706.jpg
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Definitely 1095! Second choice for making a knife is 5160. Great edge retention and flexible if heat treated right.
Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Oledadsknives wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:02 pm Definitely 1095! Second choice for making a knife is 5160. Great edge retention and flexible if heat treated right.
Jimbo
I notice ESEE makes good use of 1095. I'll have to check that out..
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Rich53 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:27 pm
Oledadsknives wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:02 pm Definitely 1095! Second choice for making a knife is 5160. Great edge retention and flexible if heat treated right.
Jimbo
As long as you keep them oiled or waxed you’re good!
Jimbo
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Rich53 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:27 pm
Jimbo
GEC uses 1095 as well... ::hmm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I’m gonna have to latch on to a GEC sometime in the future. I read a lot of posts here that mention them.
Jimbo
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Oledadsknives wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 am I’m gonna have to latch on to a GEC sometime in the future. I read a lot of posts here that mention them.
I guarantee you won't be sorry!
Attachments
DSCF0478.JPG
DSCF0480.JPG

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:09 am
Oledadsknives wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 am I’m gonna have to latch on to a GEC sometime in the future. I read a lot of posts here that mention them.
I guarantee you won't be sorry!
Nice coloring on your GEC, Dog! ::tu::
I have a Beavertail with Cherrywood covers that I like a lot, my one and only GEC! 8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”