Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Madmarco »

What a fine array of beautiful cutlery, guys, y'all done good! ::tu::

I have long admired that Kershaw 1050, Glenn, and your copy appears to be in perfect condition. Were they not so expensive I'd have acquired one for myself by now. Any used less expensive copies I've seen weren't in nearly as good shape as yours, otherwise I'd own one already. The overall shape of the frame with those 3 finger choils in the handle is what grabs me every time, along with it's jet-black/brass combination color scheme makes the knife very desirable to me. Congratulations on finding a "Grail"! ::handshake::

When you first told me a SOG "Arcitech" is a "Grail" knife for you, Mark, I must admit I couldn't see the attraction, but I now know that was simply a difference in preferences, because looking at your pictures now I find it most attractive! In fact, everything about it is attractive. Congratulations to you also on getting a long desired knife, I know exactly how you're feeling right now! ::handshake::
BTW, JFYI, FWIW, what you're calling the "Arc-lock" system is also referred to as the "Axis-lock" system, although it doesn't surprise me that SOG would partially incorporate the name of the knife with the name of the locking system. Beautiful knife, bud, enjoy it!

That's a great display of Canoes, Cody, it would seem your better half is one of us! ::nod::
Just look at all those spear-point blades playing nice together! ::groove::
"Can-oe say," COOL! ::tu::
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks Mark. I have heard it called an Axis lock as well. I’m not normally drawn to tactical knives, I’m very much a traditional knife guy, but this one has drawn me in for a very long time. Having handled one so many years ago didn’t help with the obsession. It just feels right in hand. The blade is way too big for most of the tasks I use a knife for but it fits this knife well.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:18 pm What a fine array of beautiful cutlery, guys, y'all done good! ::tu::

I have long admired that Kershaw 1050, Glenn, and your copy appears to be in perfect condition. Were they not so expensive I'd have acquired one for myself by now. Any used less expensive copies I've seen weren't in nearly as good shape as yours, otherwise I'd own one already. The overall shape of the frame with those 3 finger choils in the handle is what grabs me every time, along with it's jet-black/brass combination color scheme makes the knife very desirable to me. Congratulations on finding a "Grail"! ::handshake::
Thanks Mark, I think your description captures why I may have been enamored with that knife for so many years!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:19 pm I just picked up a knife that I have wanted for a long time too Glenn. It’s nice when you can finally get ahold of the one you have longed for. I’ve seen that Kershaw around for a long time and always admired it. I believe that Master Hattori designed that knife. It’s a well known piece that has been around for a long time. Very nice pick up.

Mine is a SOG Arcitech with bone handles. VG-10 San Mai blade with stainless bolsters and an opal gem stone on the thumbstud. Arc-lock system, you slide the button on the bolster back to unlock. Smooth as silk opening and closing.
That's a beauty!!! Is it spring assist, or just a flipper?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

glennbad wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:27 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:19 pm I just picked up a knife that I have wanted for a long time too Glenn. It’s nice when you can finally get ahold of the one you have longed for. I’ve seen that Kershaw around for a long time and always admired it. I believe that Master Hattori designed that knife. It’s a well known piece that has been around for a long time. Very nice pick up.

Mine is a SOG Arcitech with bone handles. VG-10 San Mai blade with stainless bolsters and an opal gem stone on the thumbstud. Arc-lock system, you slide the button on the bolster back to unlock. Smooth as silk opening and closing.
That's a beauty!!! Is it spring assist, or just a flipper?
It’s just a flipper. I have mostly Kershaws for my spring assisted collection. Both are fun to play with.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

One more :D
Attachments
20230606_182952.jpg
20230606_183015.jpg
20230606_183651.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Eustace wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:52 pmOne more :D

Nice Eustace. Another I'd probably never see or hear of if it weren't for your posts. Keep 'em coming, love seeing different blades. Interesting jigging or texture on those covers. ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice knife, Eustace! ::tu::
As Iman said, were it not for the unusual knives you post we'd never be aware they exist, so thanks!
I don't know the official name of that pattern, but any knife that looks like yours I call a "Pradel", although that might be the name of the company and not the pattern. ::shrug::
I like simple straight forward patterns for pocket knives, and yours fits that bill perfectly!
Thanks for showing us!
8)
P.S.-Three more posts and you hit a big milestone, 1,000 posts, congratulations! ::handshake:: `
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'd like to show you all this recently received MANUAL RPK (Russian Prison Knife) lockback that's 8 3/4" oal and is built with the exact same materials as their automatics, SS blade and hardware and Bakelite covers, but minus the auto mechanism! This knife has the smallest nail-nic I've ever seen, measuring only 1/8" long! It's so small you likely can't see it from my pictures! It does have one drawback, that being a pull of about 1,000! ::facepalm::
8)
WIN_20230529_15_43_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230529_15_44_14_Pro.jpg
8)
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:59 pm Nice Eustace. Another I'd probably never see or hear of if it weren't for your posts. Keep 'em coming, love seeing different blades. Interesting jigging or texture on those covers. ::tu::

Thank you, Ivoryman! I've seen quite a few knives from this East German manufacturer, but this is the first time I've seen a handle like this.
Madmarco wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:22 pm I don't know the official name of that pattern, but any knife that looks like yours I call a "Pradel", although that might be the name of the company and not the pattern. ::shrug::
Thank you Marco!
Pradel, as well as Laguiole, are regional models named after villages in France.

By the way, along with the knife I also bought the old enamel sign, that can be seen in the picture. The sign says "Cut Hazard" :mrgreen:
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you for that info, Eustace, now I won't confuse patterns with companies or places of origin, at least as far as "Pradels" and "Laguioles" are concerned.
That's a cool ole' sign too, and most fitting!
8)
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Family reunion next month and there will be three boys and a girl that are now 10, 11, or 12. Only see them every year or two. So picked up a few Tinkers to hand out and whittle sticks with, make bows and arrows with fishing line and sticks they find. Always a hit with the kids that age and I have a black and a red one for this group, but saw these about the same price and think they will go over much better than red and black. Big dilemma is who gets what, maybe I let the oldest pick first etc and tell them to trade if they want different ones?
Attachments
20230607_114006.jpg
20230607_114113.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Iman those are some really cool looking knives, I have a couple of grandsons that would love those.

Well here is my delivery for today, a Moore Maker CUSTOM FOURTH OF JULY TRAPPER - 4-1/8"
CUSTOM MADE BATCH OF 50 ONLY FOR JULY, 4TH 2023
LASER ETCHED BLADES
MOORE MAKER ON BOLSTERS
MADE IN THE USA
SERIAL NUMBERED 1 THROUGH 50---I got #005
Why would they put 3 digits when they only made 50?
20230607_144445.jpg
20230607_144624.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very attractive knife David.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Those are some cool little utility folders, Iman, I have no doubt the kids will love them!
And that's very "King Solomon" thinking you displayed, ::idea:: letting them choose and then trade, brilliant for keeping the peace amongst the little hellions!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice "4th" knife, David!
A colorful knife for a colorful holiday, cool!
8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Sweet Moore Maker, David. When I saw that in the thread two days ago, I went to their site and looked for it. I do believe I missed out on this one, for I couldn't find it in their listings. Nice patriotic pickup. ::tu::

Pure speculation on my part, but I believe the 3 digit engraving runs all the way through to number 50. I.E., 010 - 050. It appears more 'professional' when there's three numbers instead of just a #1, #2, #3, #10, etc., etc. ::shrug::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:13 pm Sweet Moore Maker, David. When I saw that in the thread two days ago, I went to their site and looked for it. I do believe I missed out on this one, for I couldn't find it in their listings. Nice patriotic pickup. ::tu::

Pure speculation on my part, but I believe the 3 digit engraving runs all the way through to number 50. I.E., 010 - 050. It appears more 'professional' when there's three numbers instead of just a #1, #2, #3, #10, etc., etc. ::shrug::
Thank you sir, you're probable right on the numbers... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

All very, very nice, Marco, Iman and David!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yesterday I received my latest Henckles from Sharpnshiny Knives. While I already have several Congress pattern knives from Henckles this is the first with "Waterfall" bolsters. The German Silver bolsters were polished to within an inch of their lives. All blades have half-stops and are well-centered with tight runups. Sweet-sounding walk and talk.

For those unfamiliar with the brand I usually mention that current Henckles pocket knives are made by Boker but with the stipulation that Boker use higher standards of material and workmanship than for their own Boker knives. And Boker already has good standards.

I consider the brand high value in that you receive a lot of quality at a reasonable price.

P1040931.JPG
P1040932.JPG
P1040930.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A lot of quality, value and you left out good looks. Sweet knife QS.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is a beautiful knife Garry. The stag on that one always appealed to me. It’s just about the perfect Congress. The pull is just right and the blades are very usable. Glad you like it.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Appreciate your comment Floyd. Glad you like it.

The pulls are something I have long appreciated on Henckles, Mark. They don't require a construction crane to open.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tvic wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:29 pm All very, very nice, Marco, Iman and David!
Much thanks, Tim, good hearing from you!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That is one beautiful Henckles you showed us, Garry.
I'd never seen or even heard of "Waterfall" bolsters, but after seeing them on your knife I can say I'm an instant fan, I LIKE EM'!
8)
8)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”