Some people................

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knife7knut

Some people................

Post by knife7knut »

.....I have a great deal of difficulty understanding. A case in point:
After doing some touch up work on a client's truck(I like to call these,"repeat o-fenders" because they seem prone to multiple accidents)I stopped off at my favorite antique shop to see my friend only to find that he and his wife took off for Hawaii for the holidays.OH well..........
Rummaging around the shop I stop at a vendor's booth who usually has quite a few knives;mostly in horrible condition and outrageous prices. Going through a box of mostly junkers I come across a little jewel:a J.A.Henckels gent's knife similar in size to a small SAK only with gun metal handles.Open it up and it has a master and pen blade on one side and a file blade on the other;all unsharpened. And the price was right:$3.
I really can't understand how someone who supposedly knows something about knives can do this.One of the other knives in the same box was a Valley Forge sleeveboard whittler with two broken blades and he had a forty dollar price tag on it! Another beat up Colonial was twenty dollars! Oh well;so much the better for me. Went up and paid for my knife. A little oil on the pivots when I got home and I have a nice little Sunday knife.
Attachments
J.A.HenckelsNo.847LobsterPen$3 001.jpg
J.A.HenckelsNo.847LobsterPen$3 002.jpg
J.A.HenckelsNo.847LobsterPen$3 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some people................

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! I always try to go through the junkers at a flea market. Usually it’s a waste but I’ve found some real gems too.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I know what you mean. I have bought several nice old knives, Paxton & Gallagher, Bridge, Keen Kutter, Boker, Miller Bros. and other rarely seen old knives for $5 or less and the seller will tell me "if that was a Case knife, I would be asking $40". Go figure.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have maybe 40 ? of these vintage real Henckels knives with the gun metal handles. I say "real" because these were made by Henckels. Age is hard to pin point but pre WW II going back to perhaps late 1800's. Very well made. Henckels is the Jos. Rodgers of Germany. But put them on ebay and almost no one bids for them. So the monetary value is low even though they are about 100 years old & of high quality.
Let me know if you want more, but my price will be higher than $3.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great find and price, knife7! ::tu:: Someone may have given the knife to this guy or it was part of a knife lot purchase and he had no interest in this pattern or style. He was probably happy with a sale!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 am I have maybe 40 ? of these vintage real Henckels knives with the gun metal handles. I say "real" because these were made by Henckels. Age is hard to pin point but pre WW II going back to perhaps late 1800's. Very well made. Henckels is the Jos. Rodgers of Germany. But put them on ebay and almost no one bids for them. So the monetary value is low even though they are about 100 years old & of high quality.
Let me know if you want more, but my price will be higher than $3.
kj
Thanks for the offer Roland but I think I have enough. Here is the other one I own that came with original purse and was more than $3(but I don't recall exactly how much more;it came in a group of other knives)
Attachments
J.A.HenckelsGermanyGentleman'sKnife2019-1.JPG
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Up here we have “Five Dollar Knife Guy” and “The Cloverdale Fools”, both of whom are, I suspect, selling airport confiscations. I love ‘em! ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:
This is my best score. It was a “little knife” and I paired it with a very nice SAK mini with 2016 special edition, worth around $30.
Definately worth more than the $5Cdn I paid for the pair! ::ds::
73C35E57-10A0-47E2-A6C1-5FDC569C4AE7.jpeg
F6D33576-EE2F-4CF0-A999-495DCE4C2C50.jpeg
E75EA3FA-499F-478D-998D-3B8AAE373681.jpeg
E6F0E7DA-6671-45EF-AB4A-E0058A9A0433.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Great score Ann! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::