Question about three knives I just picked up!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mikekoz

Question about three knives I just picked up!

Post by mikekoz »

Frost1.jpg
Good morn everybody! I have not posted on this forum in years, but I just acquired a bunch of older style, or should I say, more traditional knives, and I have a question about three of them. Attached are some photos! The first knife is a large one and according to the tang, made by Frost Cutlery. On the other side of the blade, the tang is stamped "Solingen Steel". I know most Frost knives are pretty low end, but I did not realize some of their knives were made in Germany, or maybe just the blades were?? The knife is solid, blades are sharp, and it looks cool! The second knife looks like a pretty old scout knife, although there is no mention of the scouts anywhere on the knife. The only thing on the tang of the main blade is "Made in USA", but there is no manufacturer name anywhere. The last one is made by Swanner Cut Company in Fairfield Ohio. That is all the markings that is on it. I will guess it was made in Ohio, but am not familiar with the company. All I could find online is that they were only in business a short time. I like the knife and think it is unusual. Have not seen a pattern like this with five blades!! Anyways, any information on any of these knives would be appreciated and I thank you in advance!
Attachments
Frost2.jpg
Scout1.jpg
Scout2.jpg
Swanner1.jpg
Swanner2.jpg
just bob

Re: Question about three knives I just picked up!

Post by just bob »

This is copied and pasted from the Internet and not my opinion;

What is Solingen Steel?

Solingen Steel gets its name from Solingen, Germany: AKA the "City of Blades". Not just any steel can be called Solingen Steel, either. The name of this steel is protected by a decree called the Solingen Decree.
The decree lays out precise guidelines for the use of the Solingen name, including geographic origin (must be made IN Solingen, Germany), and quality levels (must comply with rigorous standards of quality and craftsmanship). Counterfeits can and will face legal action.
As a result, the name Solingen Steel is a reliable indicator of quality German metalworking and craftsmanship.

I personally question that all of the modern knives that are marked Solingen Steel are actually using steel made in Germany.

I live near the Dayton area and have seen several of the Swanner brand knives. I don't think they ever made their own knives but had them contracted out. That is a common practice.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My opinion is the knife marked Frost was likely made in China. I’ve seen countless identical Chinese-made Frost knives with those same handles, on that and other patterns. (Glad you like them but I think they’re “cheesy” looking). :lol: The blades may have been made in Germany but could also have been made in China of steel from, or partially from, Germany. With Frost anything is possible.

The scout knife marked U.S.A. was made by Camillus on contract for Sears.

I know nothing about the Swanner knife. Of the other two IMHO the scout is the best knife and a nice find. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I really like the handles on the scout knife, very pretty.

I did a quick google review on "Swanner Cutlery". Apparently there was a gentleman named Stan Swanner that in the 1970s contracted knives from Queen. Unfortunately, Mr. Swanner died in mid 1980s and Swanner Cutlery closed. In addition to Queen, I saw some references to a Swanner fixed blade knife made in Japan?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have nothing to add, other than I like that Swanner Sowbelly stockman. It is a good looking knife. That camper knife is pretty sweet, too. Good find!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

Thanks everybody! I figured the Frost was not a big deal, but I only paid $20.00 for it. I really like the Spanner as I do not have anything in my collection like it. The Scout knife is actually something I am thinking about buying from a co-worker. It is in decent shape, but one of the scales has a small chip and it wobbles a bit! Still a cool knife if he gives me a good deal on it! He just let me look it over along with a few others before I make a decision on it. The more I know about it the better! ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Check these out regarding the Swanner, looks like perhaps it wasn't one of the ones made by Queen?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -498685686
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... pecial-mib
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The Swanner 5 blade Sowbelly was probably made in Japan. It is different from the ones Queen made in several ways. All the Queen stainless 5 blade Sowbellys I've seen had long pull master clip blades, narrow pointy pen blades and a small clip blade in the location this Swanner has a copping blade. More subjectively the Swanner's blade shapes are not Queen's style. This Swanner's blade shapes, nail pulls and its handle pin locations match 1990s Colman 5 blade ~ 4" Sowbellys that are stamped Seki Japan. Its unusual copping blade that tapers to be less broad nearer the tip does not match any other brand that comes to mind. The Colman 5 blade Sowbellys are stamped AUS-6 which is a decent heat treatable stainless knife blade steel but has less carbon and chromium than 440A.

Most Frost knives came from China and many came from Pakistan. I doubt that everything stamped on knives from Pakistan is True.

As always the best way to form an opinion about these knives is to sharpen them if they need it then put them to work and see how long their sharpness lasts.

Can anyone estimate how old the Camillus scout or utility knife is?
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The Swanner looks like a 5 blade sowbelly I have stamped,"American Blade Life Knife". It was given out as a promo from Blade Magazine if you bought a lifetime subscription. Had pearl and abalone handles.
Attachments
AmericanBladeLifeKnife 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The eagles on your American Blade Life Knife look very similar to the eagles on some Parker brand knives. I own one or two American {something} Co. knives that look suspiciously similar to Parker knives. I'm not sure but I think at least one of them has the same eagles on it. They might be American Blade. I'm not where they are stored. Slip joint knife history is full of businessmen reselling knives that were not made by their companies.
mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 pm Check these out regarding the Swanner, looks like perhaps it wasn't one of the ones made by Queen?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -498685686
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... pecial-mib
One of those is the same I have, except mine does not have "Japan" stamped anywhere on it. So apparently these were made by Parker.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I'm thinking there is some sort of connection between Swanner and Curtis Risner. Curtis was from Wilmington, Ohio and Swanner is from Fairfield and those 2 cities are very close. Pretty sure Curtis helped them get some of their knives through Queen or was good friends with them and gave advise. Perhaps someone else has more information on this subject?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”