It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by toomanyknives »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 am Been waiting on this one since August 6th and it hasn't got here yet.
It really is on that slow boat from China.
That's a looker, David. Hope it gets to you soon!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Paid $30 for this lot. Seller was wanting $30 for just the lot not counting shipping (which was slightly excessive), but had relisted it as an auction for $10 less. I only saw about 3-4 knives worth buying, and their total value wasn't more than $50-60.

The Smith and Wesson 6065 "Shooter's Knife" lockback with a screwdriver is a little hard to find, and I've been wanting one as an EDC for a few years. That little screwdriver should fit the #2 Phillips screw. Taylor, after getting the Smith and Wesson license had a Japanese-made copy of the original USA-made knife. While very similar (and even has the same mark side tang stamp; there are some differences. Taylor has a clip, and a metal medallion with the S&W crest inset into the handle. Also marked "TAYLOR SEKI JAPAN" on the backside of the blades. I've seen one with someone's personal engraving dated 2004, so they made them for quite some time. This one, I think is American-made from the 1970s or 1980s time period. They are worth around $40 for the Japanese ones, but US-ones don't come up too often.

The Schrade USA Cliphanger is a later improved model with an integral clip and a metal thumb piece that doesn't pop out (which is a common occurrence on those with the black plastic studs, but it's never happened with me; and that was with an already heavily used secondhand CH-3 carried for years on my keys and later a strap on a pack as time went on).

The Pierre Cardin is made by Richartz in Germany, I think. Likely has a blunt tip (which most did; guessing European knife laws probably played a part); which I actually want in a backup knife. A very good, high-quality knife that also features a nice nail file/cleaner, but is not worth more than $10-15

SOG Micron II is a cheap knife (about $20 new, $10 used), but pretty good; so it will be added to my constantly growing group of little lockbacks. It's also a tanto; and will be the smallest tanto blade I own (Cold Steel Voyager and CRKT M16 EDC both being full-size knives; with the former being too big). This little guy should be heck on clam pack.

Rest are what I call plain and simple "junk knives". There are two that are well suited to next year's POS exchange. The one that looks like a revolver I'll probably keep due to the fact I'm afraid to ship it. The others have major damage, and are likely just trash. There's a Swiss Army clone that is beat to heck, a cheap switch missing its blade, and two with broken clips.
s-l1600ajkl.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:28 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:01 pm
I'm pretty sure it is, Smitty. But, it has a long pull and a sabre blade, unlike my other one that just has a nail nick. The seller didn't describe it very well, but it was only $20.00 shipped. I figured I save that every week due to not eating out from this lovely Covid crap!! :wink:
Look forward to seeing it when you get it. Be sure to show a close up of the shield also. That and the blade grind gives a good indication of which year it may be. ::tu::
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..
IMG_1809 (2).JPG
IMG_1810 (2).JPG
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 pm Paid $30 for this lot. Seller was wanting $30 for just the lot not counting shipping (which was slightly excessive), but had relisted it as an auction for $10 less. I only saw about 3-4 knives worth buying, and their total value wasn't more than $50-60.

The Smith and Wesson 6065 "Shooter's Knife" lockback with a screwdriver is a little hard to find, and I've been wanting one as an EDC for a few years. That little screwdriver should fit the #2 Phillips screw. Taylor, after getting the Smith and Wesson license had a Japanese-made copy of the original USA-made knife. While very similar (and even has the same mark side tang stamp; there are some differences. Taylor has a clip, and a metal medallion with the S&W crest inset into the handle. Also marked "TAYLOR SEKI JAPAN" on the backside of the blades. I've seen one with someone's personal engraving dated 2004, so they made them for quite some time. This one, I think is American-made from the 1970s or 1980s time period. They are worth around $40 for the Japanese ones, but US-ones don't come up too often.

The Schrade USA Cliphanger is a later improved model with an integral clip and a metal thumb piece that doesn't pop out (which is a common occurrence on those with the black plastic studs, but it's never happened with me; and that was with an already heavily used secondhand CH-3 carried for years on my keys and later a strap on a pack as time went on).

The Pierre Cardin is made by Richartz in Germany, I think. Likely has a blunt tip (which most did; guessing European knife laws probably played a part); which I actually want in a backup knife. A very good, high-quality knife that also features a nice nail file/cleaner, but is not worth more than $10-15

SOG Micron II is a cheap knife (about $20 new, $10 used), but pretty good; so it will be added to my constantly growing group of little lockbacks. It's also a tanto; and will be the smallest tanto blade I own (Cold Steel Voyager and CRKT M16 EDC both being full-size knives; with the former being too big). This little guy should be heck on clam pack.

Rest are what I call plain and simple "junk knives". There are two that are well suited to next year's POS exchange. The one that looks like a revolver I'll probably keep due to the fact I'm afraid to ship it. The others have major damage, and are likely just trash. There's a Swiss Army clone that is beat to heck, a cheap switch missing its blade, and two with broken clips.

s-l1600ajkl.jpg
Looks like you got a few good EDC's there Cody. I'm sure you'll get some good use out of that batch...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I was really interested in the new GEC Angus Sheepsfoot, and from what i have seen of those that have managed to get one so far they are beautiful knives, but nearly impossible for me to get one. But have been eyeing off a Sheepsfoot with walnut covers that i really like for a while, so bit the bullet and purchased one of them instead. It's in the mail, and i must say i am exited waiting for it's arrival, my first knife purchase this year. ::groove::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

toomanyknives wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am
toomanyknives wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:01 pm
I'm pretty sure it is, Smitty. But, it has a long pull and a sabre blade, unlike my other one that just has a nail nick. The seller didn't describe it very well, but it was only $20.00 shipped. I figured I save that every week due to not eating out from this lovely Covid crap!! :wink:
Look forward to seeing it when you get it. Be sure to show a close up of the shield also. That and the blade grind gives a good indication of which year it may be. ::tu::
Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Nice one! I especially like the main blade grind.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 am

Got my little Craftsman today, Smitty. I actually think this may be a little older Ulster made knife. It has pins instead of Swinden Keys, and it has the upside down shield and Craftsman USA tang stamp with no model number. Blades are full, the had a few spots, and tarnish, but overall a nice little knife..IMG_1809 (2).JPGIMG_1810 (2).JPG
Nice one! I especially like the main blade grind.
Thanks Cody. I do like those Sabre grinds...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:14 am I was really interested in the new GEC Angus Sheepsfoot, and from what i have seen of those that have managed to get one so far they are beautiful knives, but nearly impossible for me to get one. But have been eyeing off a Sheepsfoot with walnut covers that i really like for a while, so bit the bullet and purchased one of them instead. It's in the mail, and i must say i am exited waiting for it's arrival, my first knife purchase this year. ::groove::

Nice, cudgee. Be sure to post some pictures. ::tu:: I got an email about these recently but didn't enter the melee.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:55 am
cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:14 am I was really interested in the new GEC Angus Sheepsfoot, and from what i have seen of those that have managed to get one so far they are beautiful knives, but nearly impossible for me to get one. But have been eyeing off a Sheepsfoot with walnut covers that i really like for a while, so bit the bullet and purchased one of them instead. It's in the mail, and i must say i am exited waiting for it's arrival, my first knife purchase this year. ::groove::

Nice, cudgee. Be sure to post some pictures. ::tu:: I got an email about these recently but didn't enter the melee.
My friend, just for you i will post photos soon as i have it in my hot little hand. ::ds:: ::nod:: :lol: ::handshake::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Sounds like a great choice!

I've been looking at getting the Schrade #175, which is the same idea as the Angus, but at a fraction of the cost. Thinking I will get it rescaled with something more akin to what the GEC usually wears.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 am

Sounds like a great choice!

I've been looking at getting the Schrade #175, which is the same idea as the Angus, but at a fraction of the cost. Thinking I will get it rescaled with something more akin to what the GEC usually wears.
That is a great idea, one thing about hunting around and looking for not common covers is you end up with something a bit more unique. Even with GEC's limited releases, there are still a fair few with the same covers, the way your are doing it is something of your choice. Go ahead and do it, and post before and after photos. ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

Channellock #11, a Camillus #27. Looks to be perfectly mint; and was never carried. Appears to only have some spotting from poor storage. Camillus produced the Channellock #10 (a #1 Hawkbill), and the #11. I have so many other #27s in usually rough condition knocking about between my truck, different toolboxes and kits, and the half dozen different users (some are actually Klein, Schrade, and Colonial), the Channellock version had to be mint, as it would be a collection knife. These weren't stainless. A Channellock blue version that was a Channellock Racing knife exists, but is uncommon. I first discovered it when I saw an odd (worn) blue one for $20, but thought someone painted the handle. Found one in lightly used shape for $40 with those blue handles, and I'm contemplating it. Also discovered that there is an Ideal branded version, but the one I found was rough, and it's too new for me to accept in that condition.

Only paid less than $20 for this one.

s-l1600C11.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

Channellock #11, a Camillus #27. Looks to be perfectly mint; and was never carried. Appears to only have some spotting from poor storage. Camillus produced the Channellock #10 (a #1 Hawkbill), and the #11. I have so many other #27s in usually rough condition knocking about between my truck, different toolboxes and kits, and the half dozen different users (some are actually Klein, Schrade, and Colonial), the Channellock version had to be mint, as it would be a collection knife. These weren't stainless. A Channellock blue version that was a Channellock Racing knife exists, but is uncommon. I first discovered it when I saw an odd (worn) blue one for $20, but thought someone painted the handle. Found one in lightly used shape for $40 with those blue handles, and I'm contemplating it. Also discovered that there is an Ideal branded version, but the one I found was rough, and it's too new for me to accept in that condition.

s-l1600C11.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am Channellock #11, a Camillus #27.

::tu:: And don't forget about the Xcelite!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 am
Very nice TMK ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: Yep, by the handles, the nail pull, and the secondary blade size, I would say Ulster also. Definitly late 1950's. Has the oval shield without the crown around the word Craftsman. 1960 and 61 they changed shields and started stamping the model numbers on some. Yours originally would have had a etch on the master blade with the Word "Craftsman" with a long tail letter "C" with the tail following under the rest of the letters, and in smaller print the model number would be just to the right.
Thanks for all the info! Yep this one had been used just enough to lose the etch, but that's OK for the price I got it for. It's about the same age I am, but it's in much better shape!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:22 am
cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am Channellock #11, a Camillus #27.

::tu:: And don't forget about the Xcelite!
That's next on the list, when I can find a mint one. Searching for Xcelite or Ideal brings up a lot of Colonial; as after Camillus went under, they went to the "revived" Colonial for their knife lines.

For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:

Craftsman 9560 (stamped; some are actually Schrades, so confusing there if you're unable to look at the pins; as I think they both had the 9560 model number)
Channellock #11 (etch only)
Holub (stamp, the 249 was made by Schrade, but the rest appear to be Camillus products)
Ideal 35-285 (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives)
Xcelite K-22/K-22V (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives under K-22V)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:
Thanks for that list. I have an unused Camillus 27 with an etch/inking; pretty sure it's an Xcelite. Should I find another unused one, I'll let you know.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm That's next on the list, when I can find a mint one. Searching for Xcelite or Ideal brings up a lot of Colonial; as after Camillus went under, they went to the "revived" Colonial for their knife lines.

For tool-branded Camillus I have noted the following:

Craftsman 9560 (stamped; some are actually Schrades, so confusing there if you're unable to look at the pins; as I think they both had the 9560 model number)
Channellock #11 (etch only)
Holub (stamp, the 249 was made by Schrade, but the rest appear to be Camillus products)
Ideal 35-285 (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives)
Xcelite K-22/K-22V (etch, model number still in use for Colonial-made knives under K-22V)
Dan In MI wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm Thanks for that list. I have an unused Camillus 27 with an etch/inking; pretty sure it's an Xcelite. Should I find another unused one, I'll let you know.
There are Camillus 27 and also Klien Tools Electricians knife (same style as the 27) with the Xcelite blade etch.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:14 am There are Camillus 27 and also Klien Tools Electricians knife (same style as the 27) with the Xcelite blade etch.
Correct. All of my Xcelites (I think I have three) have the Camillus tang stamp.
USN 2000-2006
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
That's a perfect coin pocket knife, David! BTW, I really enjoyed your website. And what a collection!! ::tu::
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:12 am I meant to buy a short line #27/TL-29; but had been looking for one of these.

s-l1600C11.jpg
Hard to beat a good electricians knife, Cody! ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

toomanyknives wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 pm Was looking at a SMKW email flier and felt the need for another Buck knife. I don't have this single blade one.
bu5717_5.jpg
That's a perfect coin pocket knife, David! BTW, I really enjoyed your website. And what a collection!! ::tu::
Glad you enjoyed it, I need to do some more work like adding some new knife photo's and some new resource videos. Thanks for visiting it. ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

bu5717_5.jpg
Nice score! I normally don't like Chinese knives, but these are surprisingly solid for how little they cost.

I've heard a lot of people say "420J2 is crap". It may be rather soft, but it does hold an edge for a decent amount of time, and is easy to resharpen. Not to mention, practically rustproof.

I gave my grandmother mine, and it's held up well. Need to buy another one. Lowe's still has them for peanuts.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”