I sincerely hope we don't see this happen.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cudgee

I sincerely hope we don't see this happen.

Post by cudgee »

After all the hard work that Bryan has put into this years AAPK knife and the way the whole exercise was implemented, i hope we don't see any going up for sale to the highest bidder on a certain website, or for sale even here. I would like to think not, but there are already a couple from another forum up for grabs, or they were. I normally would not feel the need to post something like this, but from what i have seen over the last couple of years of some human behaviour nothing surprises me anymore, or maybe i am just 2 years older and getting more cynical. If someone has missed out, and through an act of kindness someone wishes to sell them one for what they paid, that is completely different, but flipping no way. ::td:: :)
Ivoryman

Re: I sincerely hope we don't see this happen.

Post by Ivoryman »

Well I was unable to get ahold of one. Of course would love to get one if anyone has one they don't mind parting with since I missed the boat. If anyone wants to let one go I would compensate well and don't mind reasonable mark up. Least I could do since they would be doing me a favor. PM me if anyone is interested, but I understand people wanting to sell their property for the going rate. Only fair and the way the free market was designed to work. I'm not looking for special treatment. Supply and demand. I get it. Hope there are a few extra out there for those of us looking. Thanks if anyone has any leads.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

I hate being so naive as to not realize a situation till someone explains it to me ::facepalm:: It had not occurred to me anyone would want this knife just to “ flip “ it . In my happy little world I thought how great to have in my collection.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rdubya21 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:27 am I hate being so naive as to not realize a situation till someone explains it to me ::facepalm:: It had not occurred to me anyone would want this knife just to “ flip “ it . In my happy little world I thought how great to have in my collection.
Don't feel too bad. It didn't occur to me either until cudgee brought it up. Maybe I just have too much faith in my fellow AAPK members.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:36 am
Rdubya21 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:27 am I hate being so naive as to not realize a situation till someone explains it to me ::facepalm:: It had not occurred to me anyone would want this knife just to “ flip “ it . In my happy little world I thought how great to have in my collection.
Don't feel too bad. It didn't occur to me either until cudgee brought it up. Maybe I just have too much faith in my fellow AAPK members.
Mate i only brought it up because i would hate to see it happen, i like everyone else would like to think it won't happen. And you don't have too much faith in our fellow members, they are a fine bunch of ladies and gentleman, you only have to see the support given when somebody asks for it. You all have a good weekend. ::tu:: ::handshake::
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I did manage to get one...and I (almost) feel guilty about the other folks who didn't get one when I did. However, there's *no f-n way* I'm going to flip this knife!

Brent
Brent
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 am I understand people wanting to sell their property for the going rate. Only fair and the way the free market was designed to work.
I agree with that if it’s somebody selling knives that they’d had in their collection for awhile, or is buying and selling on the open market.

I think what cudgee is saying is that it’s in poor taste to buy a knife from this PRIVATE release with the sole intention of flipping it for a large profit. If you’re an AAPK member that’s like playing f—k your buddy. “Honor among thieves.”
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

I'm not too sure what's going on, Keep AAPK the way it is, just like the 2nd amendment, this system is run by the best people!! ::tu:: That's all Folks!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IIRC last year the knives went up for sale in the AAPK store, to anyone/everyone, sold out in under an hour and immediately, before they were even shipped from AAPK some appeared for sale by “flippers” on eBay. Some members who didn’t get one were justifiable upset. Ironically the year before the knives didn’t sell out for days (or maybe that was two years ago). ::shrug::

I’m thinking that’s why the sale of this year’s forum knife was thankfully handled as it was. Basically initially offered for a limited time only to forum premium members. Clever way to limit access to flippers, and increase the chances of loyal forum members obtaining one. Thank you Bryan!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:50 pm Some members who didn’t get one were justifiable upset.

I’m thinking that’s why the sale of this year’s forum knife was thankfully handled as it was. Basically only to forum premium members. Clever way to limit access to flippers, and increase the chances of loyal forum members obtaining one. Than you Bryan!

Ken
That sounds quite fair.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:18 am I understand people wanting to sell their property for the going rate. Only fair and the way the free market was designed to work.
I agree with that if it’s somebody selling knives that they’d had in their collection for awhile, or is buying and selling on the open market.

I think what cudgee is saying is that it’s in poor taste to buy a knife from this PRIVATE release with the sole intention of flipping it for a large profit. If you’re an AAPK member that’s like playing f—k your buddy. “Honor among thieves.”
Well I get what you're saying and don't disagree, but as with most GEC runs there are more guys who want one than there are numbers being produced. Way more demand than supply. I have several knives that I never would have had unless someone was willing to flip them for some profit and let me get a shot at them. Including the Churchhill #35 AAPK knife recently sold to me on the aftermarket, so it's the only option available and I don't mind a reasonable mark up for someone who is willing to part with one and do me a favor. It's not screwing a buddy to me, it's doing me a favor to even be in the game. Otherwise I would be on the sidelines, eating the dust as the pack gallops by. I appreciate your stance though, and would be nice if that didn't happen, but these days GEC's are appreciating so it will probably always be worth more or as much as one pays.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Are members allowed to purchase more than one when these are released?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

espn77 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:37 pm Are members allowed to purchase more than one when these are released?

My email said one per member. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:50 pm IIRC last year the knives went up for sale in the AAPK store, to anyone/everyone, sold out in under an hour and immediately, before they were even shipped from AAPK some appeared for sale by “flippers” on eBay. Some members who didn’t get one were justifiable upset. Ironically the year before the knives didn’t sell out for days (or maybe that was two years ago). ::shrug::

I’m thinking that’s why the sale of this year’s forum knife was thankfully handled as it was. Basically initially offered for a limited time only to forum premium members. Clever way to limit access to flippers, and increase the chances of loyal forum members obtaining one. Thank you Bryan!

Ken
You are partly correct about last year, if you really want to know what happened PM me, we were blindsided and i won't discuss it openly. That is why this years was done really well as you say. ::nod:: ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've never "flipped" anything in my life - but I do want to point out that it takes two to tango. Someone had to be willing to *buy* the knife at the higher price or the flippers wouldn't have the opportunity to operate.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I know how you feel mate, ebay can be a rough place at times...
But don't worry yourself non, we are the guys that buy the AAPK knife . And, I'm pretty sure there are no flipper's here (not counting your's truely small-to-no profit when he flips... :mrgreen:
:lol:
When 'un of da boys, does put one up for grabs, it's always a fair profit IMHO. No scalpers here, thank the Lord!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have purchased many knives since I started this thing in 2007 and I never bought a single one with the thought of flipping it or ever making a profit on it. But over the years I have coonfingered and chickeneyed knives for a very long time and then released them, only to buy more. Some I have gifted, and many sold at a loss, and occasionally picked up a few bucks. I don't consider this 'flipping.' I have bought and sold two AAPK forum knives, both after holding them for years. I just paid for this new one and don't intend to sell it. But maybe 5 or 10 years from now I might. I can't see having to apologize for that.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:53 pm I know how you feel mate, ebay can be a rough place at times...
But don't worry yourself non, we are the guys that buy the AAPK knife . And, I'm pretty sure there are no flipper's here (not counting your's truely small-to-no profit when he flips... :mrgreen:
:lol:
When 'un of da boys, does put one up for grabs, it's always a fair profit IMHO. No scalpers here, thank the Lord!
::tu::
There are plenty of flippers in the AAPK stores.
But hopefully the guys that purchased these knives were collectors that will keep them.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I would never flip an AAPK knife! The only reason I have flipped any knife is because I purchased "Rizzuto" clones in Tijuana so that I could sell them to people that wanted them.
To me, this is an honest reason.
eveled

Post by eveled »

It’s a crazy phenomenon that is effecting and infecting every hobby. My kids can’t even buy baseball cards because adults buy the entire shipment as it is being put out at the big stores. There are limits in place. But the employees seem to look the other way. Who could blame them. The adults look like gang bangers and thugs.

Same thing happens with ammunition. It’s been happening with concert tickets for years. Supply and demand.

There doesn’t seem to be a solution.

Whatever the item is call it X. X sells for $50. The manufacturer gets $25 the store gets $25. Then an “investor” flipper buys all of them and creates a shortage and sells them for $200 each. The flipper makes more money than the store or the manufacturer yet has no overhead whatsoever.

Buying cheap and selling high is good investing. Yet somehow this flipping crosses a line, It’s capitalism gone totally awry.

A concert goes on sale every ticket sells out in minutes. At one time you went to a concert paid for a ticket and walked in like a movie. Now you have to buy in advance and there is a two ticket limit. Yet somehow the ticket services have 100’s of tickets to sell for a huge profit. Why does the ticket service deserve more money than the band or the venue? So the bands start to raise their prices. To get a bigger piece of the pie and the and now the average person cant afford to go to a concert.

Think it’s bad now? Getting gouged on pocket knives concert tickets and trading cards is terrible. Just wait until it’s toilet paper aspirin diapers and food.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

eveled wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:14 am It’s a crazy phenomenon that is effecting and infecting every hobby. My kids can’t even buy baseball cards because adults buy the entire shipment as it is being put out at the big stores. There are limits in place. But the employees seem to look the other way. Who could blame them. The adults look like gang bangers and thugs.

Same thing happens with ammunition. It’s been happening with concert tickets for years. Supply and demand.

There doesn’t seem to be a solution.

Whatever the item is call it X. X sells for $50. The manufacturer gets $25 the store gets $25. Then an “investor” flipper buys all of them and creates a shortage and sells them for $200 each. The flipper makes more money than the store or the manufacturer yet has no overhead whatsoever.

Buying cheap and selling high is good investing. Yet somehow this flipping crosses a line, It’s capitalism gone totally awry.

A concert goes on sale every ticket sells out in minutes. At one time you went to a concert paid for a ticket and walked in like a movie. Now you have to buy in advance and there is a two ticket limit. Yet somehow the ticket services have 100’s of tickets to sell for a huge profit. Why does the ticket service deserve more money than the band or the venue? So the bands start to raise their prices. To get a bigger piece of the pie and the and now the average person cant afford to go to a concert.

Think it’s bad now? Getting gouged on pocket knives concert tickets and trading cards is terrible. Just wait until it’s toilet paper aspirin diapers and food.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 pm I have purchased many knives since I started this thing in 2007 and I never bought a single one with the thought of flipping it or ever making a profit on it. But over the years I have coonfingered and chickeneyed knives for a very long time and then released them, only to buy more. Some I have gifted, and many sold at a loss, and occasionally picked up a few bucks. I don't consider this 'flipping.' I have bought and sold two AAPK forum knives, both after holding them for years. I just paid for this new one and don't intend to sell it. But maybe 5 or 10 years from now I might. I can't see having to apologize for that.
There’s nothing wrong with that Cal. It is not the same thing the flippers do, they only buy with intent to sell immediately for a profit.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

A little different point of view here....... I collect knives so I have learned a lot about them over the years. With this knowledge, it allows me to take advantage of deals when I see them whether is a pattern or brand that I collect or not. I will buy knives that I have no intention of adding to my collection if I believe I can make money off of them. This allows me to partially fuel my habit of collecting what I truly do enjoy in terms of brands or patterns. Ok, now I get how it is a little different with the particular AAPK knife, but I just want to point out that there are different type of so called "flippers" out there. Some are in it totally as a profit center, but mine is to offset the cost of my knife addiction.
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden

Return to “General Knife Discussion”