Crazy asking prices

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gordonjohn

Re: Crazy asking prices

Post by gordonjohn »

I like your attitude, I also will be content with what I can afford. I will not pay 100 dollars for a 50 dollar knife gordonjohn
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Why thank you sir, ::handshake:: I like yours too! ::groove:: 8)
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

gordonjohn wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am I like your attitude, I also will be content with what I can afford. I will not pay 100 dollars for a 50 dollar knife gordonjohn
👍👍👍
John 🦃
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Gunman724 strikes again!

This is not the first Fall Creek I've seen from this seller...and it's the second one he got with Mammoth Ivory. I wonder how he managed to score multiple knives when I couldn't get even one in my cart and paid for before they had all sold out (in under 10 seconds)? ::hmm:: ::undecided::
Very strange (and very suspicious ::paranoid:: ) Something about this just smells wrong to me. ::disgust::

$700.00 !!! OBO :shock: ($550.00 in his AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... e-mammoth-)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125020237339?s ... 1438.l2649
NW Fall Creek Mammoth Ivory.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

You know, if you're sitting on top of a mountain snowed in, in Montana and your only access is the net.... that might justify you paying up on a knife. Asking SEVERAL times what a knife is worth is another issue. Some guys just wanna make $25-30 a knife, develope a new customer and enjoy the "hobby". Some guys (IMHO) wanna retire on one deal. Touchy subject for sure. Tom
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

But, even at the crazy prices, it seems there are people out there who will buy them. I assume that’s why sellers keep shooting for the moon on their asking prices.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tvic wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:26 pm But, even at the crazy prices, it seems there are people out there who will buy them. I assume that’s why sellers keep shooting for the moon on their asking prices.
Yep, you got it! ::tu:: More money than brains! 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Talk about crazy. A Northwoods Barlow for $850 plus shipping.
I almost posted in "Hear a Good One Lately" thread :D
Once again by a member with zero post.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Spyderco Mule Team Magnacut for $215 $220 with shipping). Seems we're having a rash of scalpers/resellers here.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... dy-to-ship

My receipt email shows I paid $88 ($75 for the knife itself, $13 for shipping) when these were sold on Dec. 3. $220 is two and a half times the MSRP and shipping.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I don't fault people for their asking prices. You can ask whatever you like, no one is forced to pay.

Usually sellers with high asking prices are using eBay, etc. as a display website and do not really care if they sell anything. It's a showcase for them. You can post your Pinto for $100,000.00 all around town if you just like showing off your Pinto, for example. And maybe one day the right guy might come along and plop down $100 G's, you never know. 💸💸💸
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 pm I don't fault people for their asking prices. You can ask whatever you like, no one is forced to pay.

Usually sellers with high asking prices are using eBay, etc. as a display website and do not really care if they sell anything. It's a showcase for them. You can post your Pinto for $100,000.00 all around town if you just like showing off your Pinto, for example. And maybe one day the right guy might come along and plop down $100 G's, you never know. 💸💸💸
I think you're on to something here John! ::idea:: At least that attempts to answer the question about high prices! 8)
8)
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I agree. Nothing wrong with throwing the hook out there - if you get a bite, fine - if not, no worries. If somebody is willing to pay the price, it must be worth it to them.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I see we have a new store owner who is really proud of his GECs and Northwoods.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
robpa

Post by robpa »

Ive played with horses my whole life but learned long ago. I couldnt sell a colt for $650 which I paid $250 for as a weanling. An old timer told me I was trying to sell it to people who could only afford a $300 horse. Triple my asking priceand Id be talknin to those who could spend up. So, I asked $1500 and sold her in a week. Ive done that numerous times since. samo samo with hounds.
Anything is only worth what somebody is willing to ante up. might never be worth that again??
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Even the old Colonials and Imperials are creeping up in price lately. It's hard on an old cheapskate like me.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 pm Even the old Colonials and Imperials are creeping up in price lately. It's hard on an old cheapskate like me.
You're being a bit hard on yourself my friend. :lol: You have a Merry Christmas. ::ds:: ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

edge213 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:43 pm I see we have a new store owner who is really proud of his GECs and Northwoods.
WOW, he sure is! ::facepalm:: ::doh:: ::td:: ::uc:: ::hmm:: They are asking almost triple the price you can buy these for, so I guess it's one of those "one deal, get rich" deals! ::shrug:: 8)
8)
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

People seem to have a lot of disposable income these days. Many are intending to resell for a profit and that's great. It really is a "sellers market" right now.
However, we are heading for another recession and it will become a buyers market. If you're thinking about springing for that high dollar GEC, hold on a while. It'll be available soon at rock bottom prices when the owners have to choose between selling the GEC they paid too much for, and making a house payment.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

cudgee wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:30 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 pm Even the old Colonials and Imperials are creeping up in price lately. It's hard on an old cheapskate like me.
You're being a bit hard on yourself my friend. :lol: You have a Merry Christmas. ::ds:: ::handshake::
Yeah, it ain't all that bad. Merry Christmas to you too.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wading in here.
Trouble is when a collector with "more money than brains" buys a knife from someone "who can ask anything he wants", it drives other sellers to think they can get the inflated prices too and the market keeps rising. This prices-out the "average" collectors, especially the "ones sitting on a mountain top" with no other sources.
About 30-40 years ago, wealthy Asian collectors had the same effect on the vintage American guitar market. To a player, especially a Bluegrass or Country guitarist, a vintage Gibson or Martin is more than an investment. It is a means of expressing an American art form with the sound with which it was created. Taking these instruments out of the performance realm to sit in a climate-controlled vault just to own them is a sad situation.

I mean no disrespect to honest sellers with an interest in the hobby (many of whom are good members of this forum). I just think that keeping the commerce on dedicated sites like this one can go a long way to prevent the kind of shenanigans associated with e-bay. MY humble opinion.

Merry Christmas .... and to all a good knife!

J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3722.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:41 pm Wading in here.
Trouble is when a collector with "more money than brains" buys a knife from someone "who can ask anything he wants", it drives other sellers to think they can get the inflated prices too and the market keeps rising. This prices-out the "average" collectors, especially the "ones sitting on a mountain top" with no other sources.
About 30-40 years ago, wealthy Asian collectors had the same effect on the vintage American guitar market. To a player, especially a Bluegrass or Country guitarist, a vintage Gibson or Martin is more than an investment. It is a means of expressing an American art form with the sound with which it was created. Taking these instruments out of the performance realm to sit in a climate-controlled vault just to own them is a sad situation.

I mean no disrespect to honest sellers with an interest in the hobby (many of whom are good members of this forum). I just think that keeping the commerce on dedicated sites like this one can go a long way to prevent the kind of shenanigans associated with e-bay. MY humble opinion.

J.O'.
" Humble Opinions " are often the best. Merry Christmas to you and your family. ::handshake::
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

You too Cudgee! ::handshake:: J.O'.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Is $1,199.00 a crazy asking price for this knife?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224757328374?_ ... %3A2060778
2011 GEC Harness Jack.jpg
I have purchased from this seller before and, in my experience anyway, he always sets a super high BIN price with a Best Offer Option--but then declines any offer that is more than $10 less than his BIN price. ::disgust::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:41 pm Wading in here.

J.O'.
I know what you mean, J.'O. I'm lucky to have gotten this one before they were out of sight. I thought you might like to see my 1961 Gibson J-45..Merry Christmas!
J-45.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:35 am Is $1,199.00 a crazy asking price for this knife?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224757328374?_ ... %3A2060778
2011 GEC Harness Jack.jpg

I have purchased from this seller before and, in my experience anyway, he always sets a super high BIN price with a Best Offer Option--but then declines any offer that is more than $10 less than his BIN price. ::disgust::
Yes that' very high for that knife. This seller bought two of my Northwoods recently on ebay for about $550 each. When he recieved them he just added $350 to that price and relisted them. ::uc::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”