It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:55 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:32 pm All should be here by Friday.
Nice group of knives you've picked up there!

I really like the handles on that Mini Trapper!
Thanks. That's what attracted me to the knife. That and the price.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This lot was twelve bucks.

I got it for the Schrade Walden on the upper left (not sure of pattern--but it's Half Whittler or a penknife), but all the rest (a USA Colonial Stockman, a Japanese Vernco gentleman's knife, and a German "BROCH KNAF" gentleman's knife) are solid users that should clean up well.
s-l1600akl1.jpg
s-l1600AKL2.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 am This lot was twelve bucks.

I got it for the Schrade Walden on the upper left (not sure of pattern--but it's Half Whittler or a penknife), but all the rest (a USA Colonial Stockman, a Japanese Vernco gentleman's knife, and a German "BROCH KNAF" gentleman's knife) are solid users that should clean up well.
Cool lot Cody! I especially like the Schrade and that Colonial Stockman is also a real beauty! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Been wanting to try a Mule Team for a long time. I just now realized this morning that Spyderco just released a new one. They sell out quick, but I got lucky this time.

Spyderco Mule Team 35: CPM-Magnacut. $75 is about 50% more expensive than most Mule Teams, but Magnacut is a very new, low-production steel designed by Larrin Thomas. So far, it has only appeared on high-dollar customs that are a few hundred bucks.

I will need to make a sheath and handle, however. Having owned several small "naked" necker-size knives I bought as they pocket-carried well, they are horrible in extended use. I eventually quit carrying them in favor of the Mora Eldris in my coat pocket in the winter, and on my belt in the summer.

I have a sheath that should fit the Mule Team on hand, and am picking up some paracord from the local knife store (theirs is USA-made, and in colors/patterns the cheap Chinese-made stuff most chain stores sell don't have) to do a wrap handle. Eventually, I will make a leather sheath on my own, and do a micarta handle.
MT35_L.jpg
I have been very excited about Magnacut. It is designed to be an incredibly tough steel with great edge retention that is very corrosion resistant, yet still not that difficult to sharpen like say D2. Despite low numbers, this is the first production knife in Magnacut--so far, only a handful of custom knives in the steel exist, made only from test batches.

Here's the original article on it from Larrin Thomas, who is the brainchild and designer of the steel.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

The Mule Team, in general, is in the ideal size range for a general use fixed blade in my opinion. It is just over 7.5 inches long OAL (7.63 inches) with a 3.5" blade. I personally don't like over a 4" blade for general purpose knives. I think in Magnacut--this is a do-all knife--from farm work, to hunting, to fishing.

Buyers are intended to test them. With shipping, it cost me more than $80, thus I really don't want to use it hard. But, in the effects of promoting a new steel that, in my opinion, is darn perfect, I'll be using it like any workhorse I own. I have an idea that if I use it normally, and avoid hitting rocks or metal by accident--it's gonna hold up for a year or more without sharpening in my use. Tests show it was able to cut through 2 2x4s without any wear or damage to the edge.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm Been wanting to try a Mule Team for a long time.
Cody that looks like a great project, can't wait to see how you finish it with the handles.... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:29 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm Been wanting to try a Mule Team for a long time.
Cody that looks like a great project, can't wait to see how you finish it with the handles.... ::tu::
I'm looking at Jantz right now planning handles and fasteners. Leaning towards G-10 due to its durability. Man, there are a lot of choices! I want orange "just in case I lose it" but am leaning more towards a deep red color.

I'm trying to decide between threaded screws and actual pins. Yeah, I don't have to peen screws, but they're ugly. I will, of course, epoxy the scales to the knife before adding any fastener. Some people just use screws or pins to hold them on--but I'm not swapping scales between knives.

Leather and Kydex (a flexible plastic that has to be heat-formed) are probably the best known. Good-quality vegetable-tanned leather is expensive, and Kydex requires heat to work it. Plus, many knives that have came in Kydex sheaths after 2-3 years of use seem looser in the sheath than they were when new. It's no different wear-wise or durability than plastic. Meanwhile, I have 40 year old knives with original, or at least period-correct leather sheaths that still hold strong. The period-correct sheath I bought for my 50-year-old Case 6265 holds it pretty tight--even when I leave the flap open by accident, or something pops it open.

However, I am leaning towards this stuff--HDPE. Tough, as well as chemical and weather resistance--plus it is very easy to be worked; and can be either riveted or stitched. It's sold in sheets that are 12x30 for $10 or 72x30 for $30, so it's not that expensive, either.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/hehdposhma.html

There is a guy who makes G-10 handles and sheaths for Mule Teams--but $70 a set is nearly as much as I paid for the knife. Thus, this will be a DIY job once I pick up the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander for working the handles and the actual handle materials, and get enough practice with inexpensive Green River butcher knife blanks.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Good stuff mate!
I'm looking forward to see how it all turns out for you, keep us posted!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
TPK

Post by TPK »

Looks like a fun project Cody! ::tu:: As already said, keep us posted. ::nod:: :D

Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm looking at Jantz right now planning handles and fasteners. Leaning towards G-10 due to its durability. Man, there are a lot of choices! I want orange "just in case I lose it" but am leaning more towards a deep red color.

I'm trying to decide between threaded screws and actual pins. Yeah, I don't have to peen screws, but they're ugly. I will, of course, epoxy the scales to the knife before adding any fastener. Some people just use screws or pins to hold them on--but I'm not swapping scales between knives.

Leather and Kydex (a flexible plastic that has to be heat-formed) are probably the best known. Good-quality vegetable-tanned leather is expensive, and Kydex requires heat to work it. Plus, many knives that have came in Kydex sheaths after 2-3 years of use seem looser in the sheath than they were when new. It's no different wear-wise or durability than plastic. Meanwhile, I have 40 year old knives with original, or at least period-correct leather sheaths that still hold strong. The period-correct sheath I bought for my 50-year-old Case 6265 holds it pretty tight--even when I leave the flap open by accident, or something pops it open.

However, I am leaning towards this stuff--HDPE. Tough, as well as chemical and weather resistance--plus it is very easy to be worked; and can be either riveted or stitched. It's sold in sheets that are 12x30 for $10 or 72x30 for $30, so it's not that expensive, either.

There is a guy who makes G-10 handles and sheaths for Mule Teams--but $70 a set is nearly as much as I paid for the knife. Thus, this will be a DIY job once I pick up the Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander for working the handles and the actual handle materials, and get enough practice with inexpensive Green River butcher knife blanks.
Regarding screws being unattractive, you might visit Altamont Co 's site for handgun/revolver/pistol grips and accessories and look at their replacement screws. They have many choices where the heads "are" attractive in my opinion. These could be adapted to use on knives, although it does come at a price. Just trying to be helpful. :D
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Louisville.Boy1947 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:19 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Regarding screws being unattractive, you might visit Altamont Co 's site for handgun/revolver/pistol grips and accessories and look at their replacement screws. They have many choices where the heads "are" attractive in my opinion. These could be adapted to use on knives, although it does come at a price. Just trying to be helpful. :D
Just looked into those. These look a lot better than anything else I checked into, while not being as difficult as pins.

I think I may end up using the Celtic Knot screws in the project.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Just snagged a nice "No-Name" Solingen knife described as NOS that I'm pretty stoked about. ::nod::
Guessing from the blade length it should be about 3 - 3 1/4" closed. ::tu::
The seller had a large # of Hartkopf knives & a DOVO knife (which were all pretty cool) so I am guessing this one may be out of the house of DOVO who owns a number of good brands inclueding Hartkopf. ::shrug:: Anyways, I liked the looks of it and it was a good deal. ::nod:: Looking forward to it. ::super_happy::

Thanks for looking friends! :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200453.519.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200444.015.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200431.059.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200421.200.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200411.943.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200353.775.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200344.128.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200334.078.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-12-04T200317.901.jpg

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can see why you bought it, Tom. That's a good looking knife.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm Just snagged a nice "No-Name" Solingen knife described as NOS that I'm pretty stoked about. ::nod::
The seller had a large # of Hartkopf knives & a DOVO knife (which were all pretty cool) so I am guessing this one may be out of the house of DOVO who owns a number of good brands inclueding Hartkopf. ::shrug:: Anyways, I liked the looks of it and it was a good deal. ::nod:: Looking forward to it. ::super_happy::

Nice! Love the bone!

I don't think there is such a thing as a poorly-made knife from the city of Solingen. From inexpensive advertisers all the way to high-end, they're all pretty good. Or in my case, inexpensive advertisers through 1990s Boker.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I clicked on this thread, got ready to write and suddenly realized I don't have any knives in the mail. That was a shock to my system. Not only do I not have any in the mail, there are no plans to put one one in the mail. Now I don't know what to do with myself. ::mdm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TPK wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm Just snagged a nice "No-Name" Solingen knife described as NOS that I'm pretty stoked about. ::nod::

Love the bones on that one Tom. ::tu:: ::tu::
TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:27 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks for looking friends! :D
Love the bones on that one Tom. ::tu:: ::tu::
cody6268 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:08 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks for looking friends! :D
Nice! Love the bone!

I don't think there is such a thing as a poorly-made knife from the city of Solingen. From inexpensive advertisers all the way to high-end, they're all pretty good. Or in my case, inexpensive advertisers through 1990s Boker.
Thanks Cody! ::handshake:: Thanks Floyd! ::handshake:: Appreciate the feed back! ::nod::

It's already here. ::super_happy:: Might take me a few days to get some pictures of it posted though. ::paranoid::

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:37 pm I clicked on this thread, got ready to write and suddenly realized I don't have any knives in the mail. That was a shock to my system. Not only do I not have any in the mail, there are no plans to put one one in the mail. Now I don't know what to do with myself. ::mdm::
Jerry! ::woot::

::doh::

::facepalm::

::hmm::

::pace::

::hmm::

::pray::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Maybe Santa has one in the mail for you, Jerry. 🎅

I was checking my email last night before hitting the hay and saw that Dvor had free shipping that was running out in less than 2 hours. So I clicked the link to their website, went straight to Knife Clearance and ordered the listings highest percentage off to lowest. Well, this Case M-1 Astronaut fixed blade roped me in at less than $100 delivered!

I couldn't pass it up even though I already have one from the 90's. Supposed to be shipping out soon. Optics Planet, also associated with Dvor, has the knife for $215.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211213-080836.png
Screenshot_20211213-081123.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

Congrats John! ::handshake:: Looks Sweeeeeeet! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I had not seen these Old Timer Heritage Series knives with the laminate wood handles before,
and they just looked good to me. Ordered from SMKW except the 169OT fixed blade I'm getting
from Amazon because of a vast price difference. Won't be here before Christmas, but that's okay.
Attachments
169OT
169OT
5OT Bruin
5OT Bruin
94OT Trapper
94OT Trapper
34OT Middleman Wood Folder
34OT Middleman Wood Folder

bigshot

Post by bigshot »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:15 pm I had not seen these Old Timer Heritage Series knives with the laminate wood handles before,
and they just looked good to me. Ordered from SMKW except the 169OT fixed blade I'm getting
from Amazon because of a vast price difference. Won't be here before Christmas, but that's okay.
I just got the fixed blade and the Trapper. They are REALLY good knives. I remember Old Timers as a kid and I hated them. But these look like Rough Ryder Reserves. Nice to see bargain brands up their game to put the pressure on mid-priced knives to do a better job. The Bruin arrives tomorrow and the Stockman on Saturday.

The other knives I ordered at the same time were the Brother VG10s with carbon fiber handles. I got the first one yesterday and it's a gorgeous knife.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Man, that's a beauty! Nice pickup !
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

bigshot wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:18 am
dlr110 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:15 pm I had not seen these Old Timer Heritage Series knives with the laminate wood handles before,
I just got the fixed blade and the Trapper. They are REALLY good knives. I remember Old Timers as a kid and I hated them. But these look like Rough Ryder Reserves. Nice to see bargain brands up their game to put the pressure on mid-priced knives to do a better job. The Bruin arrives tomorrow and the Stockman on Saturday.

The other knives I ordered at the same time were the Brother VG10s with carbon fiber handles. I got the first one yesterday and it's a gorgeous knife.
Jeff I'm glad to hear a good report on them and I'm looking forward to getting them. I think I have all the Brother knives with the carbon fiber handles, but I'm not certain because they are packed away in my storage shed while we are waiting to build.
Thanks... ::tu::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Jeffinn wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:37 am

Man, that's a beauty! Nice pickup !
Jeff
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Appreciate your comments my friend! ::nod:: ::tu::

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm I can see why you bought it, Tom. That's a good looking knife.
I oversaw your comment. ::doh::

Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Appreciate it! ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”